Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

What do you think of Britton for Max Fried of the Braves?  Fried has seemed to be on the verge of making the Braves rotation but hasn't seemed quite ready.  Otoh, he's a talented lefty who always seems to be high on their list of prospects.  At 24 years old, if the Braves don't give him a full shot, he's going to lose value.  That's why I'm thinking the Braves might do this even though Fried probably has more trade value.    

I've read that the Braves really like him and that they'd loath to lose him for a rental (being a young team just opening a window). On value, I think that would be feasible in a 1 for 1, of course depending on the how you project Fried, you probably aren't getting more pieces back.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I think the type of prospect who'd headline a Britton deal will be of the quality that only the Braves and the Padres have 8+ prospects of that value.

Any reason for this?

I mean, I do agree that it's likely we get a fringe top 100 guy headlining. Britton is too talented/good and is among the top relievers on the market if not the top guy. He should fetch something solid.

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Any reason for this?

I mean, I do agree that it's likely we get a fringe top 100 guy headlining. Britton is too talented/good and is among the top relievers on the market if not the top guy. He should fetch something solid.

No, just that like you I think he's worth (with the amount of demand for relievers and his shutdown upside) a borderline top 100 type and most teams don't have 8 of those. 

I think its all about timing, more than anything. Zach has looked good going into the all-star break so today I think he has good value. If he builds on that and pitches as well, and even better, then his value just goes up. On the other hand, if he has a couple of clunkers his value will fall some. This is a tough call for our FO. I think he is healthy and I expect him to just get better as the deadline approaches. But there are no guarantee's. Time will tell

Guys, I love Adam Jones, I do. Under different usernames and different boards defended him vehemently when he used to get criticized because he wasn't the second coming of Griffey.  But, I'm sorry adding him to a package is not going to move the needle. There's an argument to be made unless the Orioles eat a significant amount of his contract he may have negative value. Britton should be traded alone. 

I’m quite skeptical that 1-2 good weeks from Britton is going to restore most of his former luster.   The upside is there, but he hasn’t been that consistent.   Heck, he almost blew the save on Sunday except the Rangers’ runner was thrown out at the plate to end the game.    He’ll return some useful pieces but I’ll be surprised if we get a top 100 guy for him.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m quite skeptical that 1-2 good weeks from Britton is going to restore most of his former luster.   The upside is there, but he hasn’t been that consistent.   Heck, he almost blew the save on Sunday except the Rangers’ runner was thrown out at the plate to end the game.    He’ll return some useful pieces but I’ll be surprised if we get a top 100 guy for him.

Really interesting guy to try and valuate.  He's been all of these things this year: dominant, wild, hittable, injured.

Surely the Orioles will ask for value commensurate with the elite guy they think he still can be.  Just as obviously, bidders will want a sizeable risk discount.  Will be fun to see where it ends up.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I think the type of prospect who'd headline a Britton deal will be of the quality that only the Braves and the Padres have 8+ prospects of that value.

I've mentioned this before, but Drew Waters, a 19-year old OF'er for the Braves would be enticing, as would Touki Toussaint and many other pitching prospects.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

A Boston writer estimated Brittons value simIar to what the nationals paid to get Kevin Herrera.

To refresh they got Blake Perkins , Kevin Guitierrez, and Rookie league pitcher Yohanse Morel.

KC usually has a pretty good rated system and MLB has Guitierrez at 7 and Perkins at 14. 

I'd ask for

Astros  Alacala/Perez/Martin/Armenteros and Arauz

Phillies  Romero/Suarez/De Los Santos and Irvin or Maton

Dodgers Smith and Gonsolin

Indians Jones/Civale and Clement/Aiken

Id love to get Nolan Jones from Cleveland

Last I saw the Royals system was rated #30 pre season. 

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've mentioned this before, but Drew Waters, a 19-year old OF'er for the Braves would be enticing, as would Touki Toussaint and many other pitching prospects.

Waters was their 2nd round pick last year and is exceeding expectations - can't imagine the Braves would give him up for a Britton rental.  Touki has issues with control, but still - too good a prospect for Britton, imo.  If Atl offers either, take it yesterday.  

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Waters was their 2nd round pick last year and is exceeding expectations - can't imagine the Braves would give him up for a Britton rental.  Touki has issues with control, but still - too good a prospect for Britton, imo.  If Atl offers either, take it yesterday.  

I agree that they'd prefer not to deal either, but if you want (arguably) the top available reliever on the market, you have to give up something of value.  Time will tell if they get involved.  Obviously we all hope for a really solid piece back.

17 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Last I saw the Royals system was rated #30 pre season. 

Yeah, it's not good.

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All it takes is one injury or desperate enough team.  

Especially if Britton can return to his      pre-2017 form in the next 2 weeks.

28 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I would look for pitchers and infielders in a deal he is the last major piece we have of the remaining free agents comming this season.  I think the Braves make lot of sense just like the Dodgers they have a log jam of almost major league starters in the upper minors or now getting feet wet in Atlanta and could afford to loose some of it.  Toussaint or Wentz and Derian Cruz would make some sense imo.  Toussaint is probally 5th on the pecking order right now and they already have two or three young starters in their rotation.

Edited by bpilktree67

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

I would look for pitchers and infielders in a deal he is the last major piece we have of the remaining free agents comming this season.  I think the Braves make lot of sense just like the Dodgers they have a log jam of almost major league starters in the upper minors or now getting feet wet in Atlanta and could afford to loose some of it.  Toussaint or Wentz and Derian Cruz would make some sense imo.

The O's could get Cruz but not Wentz or Touki, imo.