Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

A Boston writer estimated Brittons value simIar to what the nationals paid to get Kevin Herrera.

To refresh they got Blake Perkins , Kevin Guitierrez, and Rookie league pitcher Yohanse Morel.

KC usually has a pretty good rated system and MLB has Guitierrez at 7 and Perkins at 14. 

I'd ask for

Astros  Alacala/Perez/Martin/Armenteros and Arauz

Phillies  Romero/Suarez/De Los Santos and Irvin or Maton

Dodgers Smith and Gonsolin

Indians Jones/Civale and Clement/Aiken

Id love to get Nolan Jones from Cleveland

I think we should get better than the what the Roylas got for Herrera.  Britton seems like the only top guy left at this point and there are a lot of suitors.  I think the Royals rushed into trading Herrera and didn't get as much return as they could have. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

All it takes is one injury or desperate enough team.  

Especially if Britton can return to his      pre-2017 form in the next 2 weeks.

Thing is, I don’t think 13 days is really enough time to judge whether he’s in pre-2017 form.   Because what made Zach so special was his consistency, and you can’t judge that based on a few appearances.    By the way, we may never have the lead in the 9th inning again this season with Manny out of our lineup.    I’m not expecting a lot of save opportunities for Zach between now and the deadline.    And pitching in lower-leverage situations just isn’t the same.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m quite skeptical that 1-2 good weeks from Britton is going to restore most of his former luster.   The upside is there, but he hasn’t been that consistent.   Heck, he almost blew the save on Sunday except the Rangers’ runner was thrown out at the plate to end the game.    He’ll return some useful pieces but I’ll be surprised if we get a top 100 guy for him.

I think you will be surprised.  If Britton has a couple of good outings we should be able to get top 100 guy from him as Head was just traded.  Britton is now the guy every team will want.  Well other than the Indians.  He will get a good return. 

1 hour ago, awannabegeek said:

Guys, I love Adam Jones, I do. Under different usernames and different boards defended him vehemently when he used to get criticized because he wasn't the second coming of Griffey.  But, I'm sorry adding him to a package is not going to move the needle. There's an argument to be made unless the Orioles eat a significant amount of his contract he may have negative value. Britton should be traded alone. 

Not to Hijack a Britton thread but I know we all think that every GM out there now is an advanced stats desciple, loath to deviate from that sun bathed path, but there are some old school GMs out there.  There are guys who value chemistry and leadership, who use their eyes to value defense, and understand the value of a 3 position outfielder who can hit the ball out of the park.

Jones will move more than needles, he will move prospects.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thing is, I don’t think 13 days is really enough time to judge whether he’s in pre-2017 form.   Because what made Zach so special was his consistency, and you can’t judge that based on a few appearances.    By the way, we may never have the lead in the 9th inning again this season with Manny out of our lineup.    I’m not expecting a lot of save opportunities for Zach between now and the deadline.    And pitching in lower-leverage situations just isn’t the same.  

They'll still showcase him.  The last game before the break, MASN showed scouts that were looking at him.

You're right, pitching low leverage isn't the same but if the velocity is there, the break on the sinker is there, I think that's what'll matter the most to teams that are looking at him.  They know he can pitch in high leverage situations, he's done it before.  

I think we’re in a great situation now that Hand got traded. Teams don’t need to see a season’s worth of results from Britton. His sinker is up there with Rivera’s cutter. Playoff teams know that. If he’s healthy he can help you to a WS. 

Or at least help you out the damn play in game. 

Edit: We might get something not too far off than what Manny brought us. We will have to wait closer to the deadline, and there has to be a bidding war, but it might happen. Manny might be a liability in the playoffs at SS. Like Cal in the Yankees series 20 years ago. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, davearm said:

Really interesting guy to try and valuate.  He's been all of these things this year: dominant, wild, hittable, injured.

Surely the Orioles will ask for value commensurate with the elite guy they think he still can be.  Just as obviously, bidders will want a sizeable risk discount.  Will be fun to see where it ends up.

Wow Dave .... We heard similar arguments about Manny from a Brewers guy who thought he could be had on the cheap.

Britton since 06/30 7 IP , 3 hits  ,6 Ks ,3 walks , 11 ground outs , that's right 17 of his 21 outs were by ground ball or K. The sinker was clocked the last couple games around 97. 

With half the teams in baseball likely interested I doubt DD will have an appetite or have to resort to a sizeable risk discount. 

Id expect what the Nationals paid for Herrera minimum. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m quite skeptical that 1-2 good weeks from Britton is going to restore most of his former luster.   The upside is there, but he hasn’t been that consistent.   Heck, he almost blew the save on Sunday except the Rangers’ runner was thrown out at the plate to end the game.    He’ll return some useful pieces but I’ll be surprised if we get a top 100 guy for him.

Competition is a beautiful thing.

19 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Time to strike

I mean yeah....If they want to give us Lange SP, Little SP, and Amaya C perhaps you have them in the discussion. I think we can do better than what they have to offer

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I mean yeah....If they want to give us Lange SP, Little SP, and Amaya C perhaps you have them in the discussion. I think we can do better than what they have to offer

Lange, Little and Amaya would work for me.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Not to Hijack a Britton thread but I know we all think that every GM out there now is an advanced stats desciple, loath to deviate from that sun bathed path, but there are some old school GMs out there.  There are guys who value chemistry and leadership, who use their eyes to value defense, and understand the value of a 3 position outfielder who can hit the ball out of the park.

Jones will move more than needles, he will move prospects.

This is a really significant post. Not only will he move an old school needle. He'll be Capt10America for the you geek whippersnapper crowd too. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow Dave .... We heard similar arguments about Manny from a Brewers guy who thought he could be had on the cheap.

Britton since 06/30 7 IP , 3 hits  ,6 Ks ,3 walks , 11 ground outs , that's right 17 of his 21 outs were by ground ball or K. The sinker was clocked the last couple games around 97. 

With half the teams in baseball likely interested I doubt DD will have an appetite or have to resort to a sizeable risk discount. 

Id expect what the Nationals paid for Herrera minimum. 

Your 7-game statline kind of proves my point.  The appearances before that he got roughed up.  Before that he was hurt.

If you're trading for the guy, it's hard to know what you're getting.

Hererra trade sounds reasonable.