Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

Roch was just on Buster Olney’s podcast and had a few interesting things to say. He always seems to be more candid in interviews with other journos than in his own blog for obvious reasons. Essentially he said that Britton is the next to go, basically a formality like Machado was. He said that Britton in his last few appearances was treating it like an exhibition to show scouts of other teams that he still has it. Thought that was pretty interesting and must be a bizarre way to treat a MLB season.

He said that again, they still haven’t approached Jones about waving his trade rights. Mentioned Cleveland as a team he’s hearing but ultimately said it will be up Jones. Jones told him “I have a wife and two kids, I haven’t made a decision of my own since 2014.”

One unfortunate thing is that he thinks Brady will stick around and might even have a gradually increasing role. He really sung his praises and mentioned him as a forward thinking analytically minded guy. Buster agreed and said he used to bring up OBP and other obscure stats in the 90s. It might be true, but doesn’t seem to be backed up by ANY of the moves he’s been credited with.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Good find, BB.  And...good prospect-hunting, Tryptamine.    I'd like to take chances on guys like this than some 24 year-old in AA ball who's having his best season ever.   It makes more sense from a "rebuilding" standpoint.  

Disagree.  Would much rather receive an actual prospect than a lottery ticket.  Yes, all teams have lottery tickets they can offer, but why don't we first try to find a team that has both real prospects to offer and a strong need for Britton?  This type of deal is what you settle for on July 31, if unable to come to terms for a real prospect, IMO.

As far as SFG goes:

Jalen Miller, Gregory Santos, Alexander Canario, Jacob Gonzalez (Luis's son), Heliot Ramos, Shaun Anderson, and Chris Shaw all look interesting. 

They got what it takes for sure.

Just now, Number5 said:

Disagree.  Would much rather receive an actual prospect than a lottery ticket.  Yes, all teams have lottery tickets they can offer, but why don't we first try to find a team that has both real prospects to offer and a strong need for Britton?  This type of deal is what you settle for on July 31, if unable to come to terms for a real prospect, IMO.

Amaya is 100% a real prospect. Marquez is farther off but as a 2nd piece he'd be fantastic. Marquez is a little farther off but he's killing low A right now and may get a shot in A ball before the season is over.

Guys like that are definitely guys to go ahead and trade for. Preferably you'd get someone a little farther along, but both these guys could be on some top 100 prospect lists in a year or so.

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Oh, I'd much rather have a legit prospect.  I was comparing the two young guys compared to an older AA player, not legit prospects.

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Definitely get real prospects. I am not sure what is wrong with a 24 year old that is a legimiate prospect either.  Josh Donaldson didn't make it to the big leagues until he was 26.  Melvin Mora until he was 29.  I am sure the teams will gladly throw in some lottery picks with the real prospects if you ask.  

With all these teams involved, we better get a healthy return.

Still think he winds up in Houston or Philly unless one of these other teams goes crazy.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Amaya is 100% a real prospect. Marquez is farther off but as a 2nd piece he'd be fantastic. Marquez is a little farther off but he's killing low A right now and may get a shot in A ball before the season is over.

Guys like that are definitely guys to go ahead and trade for. Preferably you'd get someone a little farther along, but both these guys could be on some top 100 prospect lists in a year or so.

Yes, they are lottery tickets that may pan out down the road and become highly rated prospects.  These are guys you settle for if unable to land someone that is a prospect now.  All of the other teams being mentioned in regards to Britton seem to me to be more attractive trade partners than the Cubs.  Now, if the other teams don't offer higher rated prospects, then get the best lottery ticket package that you can.  Again, please understand that I am not saying that we shouldn't answer the phone.  Of course we listen to offers, but don't settle for lottery tickets until we have to.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Atlanta is loaded, they have 10+ guys that you could center a Britton deal around. 

I’d target Bryse Wilson.

• Upvote 2

On MLBN last night, when they were discussing the Manny deal, they said the Orioles COULD have held out longer and waited to get closer to the deadline, but "one slip on a banana peel and they'd get nothing."

Wouldn't that philosophy ring doubly true with Zach who just returned from a lengthy DL stint following surgery?  I would think we stir up the bids but then make the best deal possible in the next week or so.  I wouldn't temp fate and wait too close to the deadline.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Fried, Pache, Touki, Muller, Wentz, Contreras, Cruz, Weigel (out for now though so maybe not), Cumberland, Karnok, Encarnacion, de la Cruz....

Such a loaded system. Keep in mind this list disregards their obvious top names. Makes too much sense. They'd likely only need to give one of the first 5-6 names on my list and maybe one of the latter guys and still be sitting super pretty. Makes too much sense for them imo if they're going for it.