Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/20/2018 at 03:59

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Gausman needs some work. He isn't going to catapult them anywhere with where he is now. He's a solid starter with control, but isn't some piece that they're lacking to make it farther.

It doesn't make sense because they have a ton of young guys close and ready with upside of best case scenario Gausman, who we haven't been able to get out of him.

Maybe they would, but I have a hard time seeing it happen. They are way too good at developing arms to trade some of their most valuable young cheap trade chips for a guy who will need some development and work to get the worth of what they're giving imo. 

Once you take deGrom and Syndergaard out of the equation I'm not so sure there's a better starting pitcher who's potentially available. And he would be much cheaper. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Once you take deGrom and Syndergaard out of the equation I'm not so sure there's a better starting pitcher who's potentially available. And he would be much cheaper. 

Yes, but there's a vast difference between those two you mentioned and Gausman. I just don't see why they'd move a top flight prospect like Wright who is close and dominating and looks like what we hoped Gausman would be for him. Not when they develop arms like they do. They have like 8-9 seriously "good" arms in that system, some of which are almost ready for a shot if not right now. 

I guess we'll see, but I don't see it as I've said.

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think you're in the minority with this opinion. 

Gausman should be the better pitcher with his arm.  He gives up way too many hits for someone who throws 97-99 MPH and makes it look easy.

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Yes, but there's a vast difference between those two you mentioned and Gausman. I just don't see why they'd move a top flight prospect like Wright who is close and dominating and looks like what we hoped Gausman would be for him. Not when they develop arms like they do. They have like 8-9 seriously "good" arms in that system, some of which are almost ready for a shot if not right now. 

I guess we'll see, but I don't see it as I've said.

They'd have to blow up their farm system to land deGrom or Sydergaard. Not so much with Gausman. That's all I'm saying. They've been linked to certain players so they seem to be willing to make some moves to bolster their chances this season. i don't see them going all in, but Gausman but a way to go half in. Who knows though, it's all just guess work and speculation with a little bit of wishful thinking sprinkled in!

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Gausman should be the better pitcher with his arm.  He gives up way too many hits for someone who throws 97-99 MPH and makes it look easy.

Agreed, but I think we've seen his best. I just don't see him ever taking it to the next level. Maybe it's all mental and make-up. That type of stuff matters too. It held John Smoltz back for years...

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They'd have to blow up their farm system to land deGrom or Sydergaard. Not so much with Gausman. That's all I'm saying. They've been linked to certain players so they seem to be willing to make some moves to bolster their chances this season. i don't see them going all in, but Gausman but a way to go half in. Who knows though, it's all just guess work and speculation with a little bit of wishful thinking sprinkled in!

Except they wouldn't have to blow up their farm for them. They could move 3 good pieces and still be top 5 in the MLB as far as a farm system goes.

Yes, it would be cheaper for Gausman. But they'd also be trading a prospect that has a good chance of being better in the next couple years than Gausman. Wright will still be making pennies and they'll be thinking whether to pay Gausman.

Again, I don't see it. Hope it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

ChiSox2020: Who are the top bullpen options you think are being auctioned off now?

Jeff Sullivan: Britton is the biggest name, although I think there’s a decent chance he’s still kind of broken

Guest: What is a decent return for Zach Britton?

Jeff Sullivan: I don’t trust him that much anymore. He’ll get moved, and I think he’ll get a real prospect, but not a *special* prospect. There’s more name value than real value right now

12 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Hasn't lined up with most others in the media world have been saying.

Not sure how his velo being 96, k rate of like 11-12 k/9, 70% gb rate signals to him being "broken". That's just me though...

Just relaying Sullivan’s opinion.   He also said further down in the chat that it shouldn’t take a top 100 prospect to get Britton.   

I don’t think velocity or movement is the issue for me.    Command is the issue.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just relaying Sullivan’s opinion.   He also said further down in the chat that it shouldn’t take a top 100 prospect to get Britton.   

I don’t think velocity or movement is the issue for me.    Command is the issue.    

No I know, just saying I don't agree with him.

He obviously isn't 100% Britton, if he was we'd be talking more than a fringe top 100 guy. He isn't all the way back. But gotta imagine it's a matter of time if health stays right. Guess we'll see.

Seems odd for all this interest and people using terminology like "next domino to fall" for RP market with him if he wouldn't bring back much as he states.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Britton doesn't get a top 100 prospect it would make more sense to keep him. The draft pick will be about the same time frame away from the Majors.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

If Britton doesn't get a top 100 prospect it would make more sense to keep him. The draft pick will be about the same time frame away from the Majors.

He'll accept the QO.

14 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll accept the QO.

He probably would accept the QO, depending how the rest of his year went.    But I’d say even if he didn’t, my guess is we can get more potential value in a trade than from a supplemental pick.    What percentage of supplemental picks end up making a top 100 list?    My guess would be 25-30%.     I’d probably rather get a guy in the 150ish range and a second decent piece than one comp pick.    I’d need to research it a little more, though.