Sign in to follow this  
Flacco Machado

Jeff Zrebeic & Dan Connolly join, "The Athletic"

So, The Athletic has been up for what, about two years now?    Question for subscribers — is it worth it?    I kind of have the impression that Dan Connolly is getting a lot more scoops these days then he did when he was with the Suor BaltimoreBaseball.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, The Athletic has been up for what, about two years now?    Question for subscribers — is it worth it?    I kind of have the impression that Dan Connolly is getting a lot more scoops these days then he did when he was with the Suor BaltimoreBaseball.

Normally, I wouldn't pay because things like ESPN Insider are a total waste.  The Athletic brought in talent like Jayson Stark.  I enjoy Dan Connolly's articles, and Matt Kremnitzer writes well.  Wait for specials, probably around the holidays.  i got in at 50% off, so it runs me about $4/month.  My wife spends more on a single visit to Starbucks.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Normally, I wouldn't pay because things like ESPN Insider are a total waste.  The Athletic brought in talent like Jayson Stark.  I enjoy Dan Connolly's articles, and Matt Kremnitzer writes well.  Wait for specials, probably around the holidays.  i got in at 50% off, so it runs me about $4/month.  My wife spends more on a single visit to Starbucks.

Last year I subscribed to BP and didn’t think it was worth it.   I’ve thought about subscribing to BA, but I’m not enough of a draft follower to want to spend there.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I still get to visit family near Baltimore every year, I've been out of Maryland a while now. I only throw that in to illuminate my perspective. I have a more desperate need of O's information than fans who can tune in to local stations anytime. In that sense, I find The Athletic a decent additional source. Beyond our Birds, the site has a lot of solid baseball writers covering the league overall as well. 

The approach of The Athletic is more about depth and analysis than scoops, although it does have the digital format and they can be pretty quick when needed. It reminds me of a daily Sports Illustrated, back in the day when SI was stacked with good journalists.

All of that said, I'm not real big on paying for content. I'm hoping for a bit more O's and Maryland sports coverage, but it has been worth it so far.

• Upvote 1

The site is not a good place to go for “scoops”.  I purchased the subscription thinking it was about that but it is not. It is more about the articles.  You’re paying for the insight competent writers.  Dan just put up an article looking at Rasjich’s drafts. It is a good read but not a scoop.  

Edited by Br10n

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Quick question, do they allow politics in their writing or is it strictly sports related?

Haven't seen any politics, which makes them the anti-ESPN.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I subscribed a few months ago, and I love it. It’s the first time in a long time that I have paid for a site like that, and I think it’s great. The quality of the content is so good, and there isn’t any of the clickbait garbage that makes up about about 75 percent of most sports sites these days. It’s just quality, straightforward sportswriting. 

And as Br10n mentions, they don’t have a ton of scoops, per se. But I really have enjoyed the level of insight and analysis so far for the teams I follow. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lovetoaster said:

I subscribed a few months ago, and I love it. It’s the first time in a long time that I have paid for a site like that, and I think it’s great. The quality of the content is so good, and there isn’t any of the clickbait garbage that makes up about about 75 percent of most sports sites these days. It’s just quality, straightforward sportswriting. 

And as Br10n mentions, they don’t have a ton of scoops, per se. But I really have enjoyed the level of insight and analysis so far for the teams I follow. 

Editorially responsible content is the new market inefficiency.  

Or so it seems....

• Upvote 1