Sign in to follow this  
Camden_yardbird

Hader and the Orioles Judgement

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's not, but there are consequences for your actions. I'm very curious to see how his teammates react to this. I know they're saying all the right things, but there's no doubt it's going to be in the back of their minds. 

Yep.

It's justice in that he has to wear it. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

The fact that you are all trying to trivialize what he said and push it off as "mouthing off" is embarrassing. Should you decide to spawn, I hope you will do a better job in raising your own kids. Looks like some deep rooted hate in those tweets, hate breeds violence. Why do you think they had to make his family take his jersey off at the game last night and put generic jersey's on? Because hate, even speech, breeds violence. Keep trivializing it, though.

Excellent points. How many times have we learned that the FBI and law enforcement have combed through a shooter or bomber’s social media and found hate speech examples? Not by any means saying Hader was heading towards violence, but what people believe comes out in their writing. Saying pro-KKK and homophobic things are far beyond what typical kids do on social media. I live on a street full of young’uns and young adults and this is not typical behavior. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NATTYBO's said:

In my experience the majority of people do change from adolescence.  To say that he can't or most people don't is crazy.  Are you saying that you formed you opinions about life and society at 17? 

At 17 I knew socially acceptable behavior. I knew there would be consequences for the things I both said and did. My political views and things like that changed, but yeah, I knew not to scream fire in a movie theater by then.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NATTYBO's said:

In my experience the majority of people do change from adolescence.  To say that he can't or most people don't is crazy.  Are you saying that you formed you opinions about life and society at 17? 

Basing this on MY experience. And in MY experience racism isn't something you typically grow out of. It also makes me wonder what type of environment he grew up in. Because racism isn't a genetic trait that inherited it's taught. 

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

The fact that you are all trying to trivialize what he said and push it off as "mouthing off" is embarrassing. Should you decide to spawn, I hope you will do a better job in raising your own kids. Looks like some deep rooted hate in those tweets, hate breeds violence. Why do you think they had to make his family take his jersey off at the game last night and put generic jersey's on? Because hate, even speech, breeds violence. Keep trivializing it, though.

What are you even talking about? My post was in reaction to someone comparing offensive tweets to murder and rape. Two very different things. I hope you'll post next time when you understand the context of what you're replying to.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Tweeting is an action... an action that he is now accountable for...

Hader can be held accountable for his personal beliefs publicly stated, but let’s not pretend this is on the level of physical assault.

At 17 I knew socially acceptable behavior. I knew there would be consequences for the things I both said and did. My political views and things like that changed, but yeah, I knew not to scream fire in a movie theater by then.

Me too. That's the other thing that bothers me. People are acting like he was 13 when he made these comments. He was basically a grown, a$$ man. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

What are you even talking about? My post was in reaction to someone comparing offensive tweets to murder and rape. Two very different things. I hope you'll post next time when you understand the context of what you're replying to.

It's ironic that you think I was replying to you, when I was replying to someone else who used the words "mouthing off' hence my quotes. I'm sorry if I made you feel important for a moment, but I was replying to a different post. As for understanding the context when you reply, take your own advice.

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's not, but there are consequences for your actions. I'm very curious to see how his teammates react to this. I know they're saying all the right things, but there's no doubt it's going to be in the back of their minds. 

Given his 1.50 ERA and 16+ k/9 in a pennant race, I'd wager they largely just ignore it. Especially since he spends most of his time sitting out in the bullpen.

If he had a 5 ERA and command issues, he'd have been banished to AAA already.

21 minutes ago, NATTYBO's said:

Not all of us have lived perfect lives and when he said he's changed and he made mistakes as a 17 yo, I choose to believe him

It has absolutely nothing to do with anyone living a perfect life. 

It's ironic that you think I was replying to you, when I was replying to someone else who used the words "mouthing off' hence my quotes. I'm sorry if I made you feel important for a moment, but I was replying to a different post. As for understanding the context when you reply, take your own advice.

You directly quoted me in your post. You should try to quote whoever you are actually responding to, that way they'll get a notification of your response and it'll help keep the conversation organized.

• Upvote 1

Putting aside the issue of the content of the tweets and how badly to condemn him for a moment, it’s remarkable to me that even on an Orioles’ fan board, the first reaction to any remotely Orioles-related news is to find a way to turn it into a criticism of the team. I know they’re terrible, and we’re all miserable and frustrated, but it’s still remarkable.

The Orioles’ “judgment” with regard to Hader has gotten blasted routinely on this site (and among all Orioles fans). How could we trade a guy who is already such a dominant reliever? And he was also a good ol’ Maryland kid to boot. Only the Orioles would put him on the table and end up getting fleeced so badly. 

And then it turns out that the good ol’ Maryland kid was, at absolute best, a complete knucklehead in his teens. 

And instead of the narrative adjusting to “well, maybe the Orioles knew a little better than we did; maybe they got to know the kid, didn’t like what they saw at the time, and decided to cut bait,” it’s become their fault for even drafting him in the first place. For missing old tweets that also flew under the radar of two other teams, his agent, countless media following 3 separate organizations, and Hader himself.

Obviously, everyone has the right to draw their own conclusions and develop their own impressions from the new information. I just think it’s fascinating that fans of the team would choose to find a way to interpret this news that makes them feel even worse about the team, not better. 

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Given his 1.50 ERA and 16+ k/9 in a pennant race, I'd wager they largely just ignore it. Especially since he spends most of his time sitting out in the bullpen.

If he had a 5 ERA and command issues, he'd have been banished to AAA already.

Same reason Jameis Winston will play football after his suspension.  Different rules for star athletes.

It's ironic that you think I was replying to you, when I was replying to someone else who used the words "mouthing off' hence my quotes. I'm sorry if I made you feel important for a moment, but I was replying to a different post.

So then I guess you were replying to me.   It's a shame that you've accused me of excusing what he did, when throughout this thread I've described what he did as stupid, immature, and unacceptable.  What I don't agree with, is putting it on the level of rape or shooting someone.  I also don't agree with accusing his parents of being racist.  I just think that it's a shame that people are overreacting to what he did.  Should it be dealt with?  Yup.  Should there be some response in the form of some kind of sensitivity or diversity training?  Sure.  Should he be castigated and shamed for the remainder of his life for things he "said" when he was 17?  IMO, no.