Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

So, how would you characterize the return on the Manny trade?

I’d describe the return for Manny as...  

204 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. I’d describe the return for Manny as

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 7/25/2018 at 04:25

Strong return for me.  Agree with what RZ said - they did the best they could - picking up a top 50 prospect was very strong.  Sure, Diaz is a prospect, but he is a very, very good one with developing upside power, a good RF profile and a very high obp already in AA.  Diaz will be a key piece for our next playoff team.

Ive talked to insiders. They say Diaz is potentially a good player with a good aggressive swing and the usable power which generally comes as he plays in the major leagues.The others are a mixed bag of players who have youth and inexperience and possibly some upside.We lost a player that comes once in generation in exchange for a few players who MAY pan out. The bottom line is, Manny wasn't going to sign long term with Baltimore.This franchise is simply not a destination point for elite players who have earned their right to seek bigger and more lucrative deals. I wish Manny well. He gave us a lot of thrills. But now its time to get to work...and rebuild. Lets start by overhauling and improving our scouting system.Right now we have essentially 3 scouts. That has to change right away.

• Upvote 2

Solid !  Diaz has been covered a lot.  Another Cuban hitter with major upside.  Appears to be a line drive hitter.  Don't raise the fences now as I've encouraged.  I think he'll be putting a few over  the fence in the first row or two more likely than 20 rows in.  The stats on Kremer and Pop look really solid to me. Bannon may turn out to be a sleeper in this deal.  Have read positive reviews on him on different sites. Hear he is above average defensively with power. Another Devers? Andujar?  Valara is an interesting player.  Has some experience as you've read with St Louis and LA. Limited so not enough time to see how he'll hit ml pitching.  A couple scouts said he was an okay player. Not great! Is okay enough?  I thought we would get Ruiz the catcher back and read last week LA was prepared to include him.  Not sure why he wasn't unless we decided to go in another direction with one of these other players.  We drafted a SS who may be here in a oouple of years and decided against Lux. May was rumored for several days and also was substituted in the deal. For who? Kremer?   His K rate is impressive and his delivery is going to keep hitters off balance it appears.

Who will get here the quickest? I heard a national guy say Valara will probably be here in a few weeks if not sooner. Depends on how he does at Norfolk.  It sounds like Bannon and Diaz could get here about the same time. September call ups? Probably!

Now what do we hold out  for in Britton and Jones deals? Mostly pitching and a catcher?  i've heard we want Francisco Mejia with Cleveland. Can we get him in a Jones and Brach deal with them?

Solid!

giphy.gif

I don’t know the pieces involved beyond what’s been posted and analyzed here, but from what I can decipher, it looks like a good haul. 

2 hours ago, section18 said:

Solid !  Diaz has been covered a lot.  Another Cuban hitter with major upside.  Appears to be a line drive hitter.  Don't raise the fences now as I've encouraged.  I think he'll be putting a few over  the fence in the first row or two more likely than 20 rows in.  The stats on Kremer and Pop look really solid to me. Bannon may turn out to be a sleeper in this deal.  Have read positive reviews on him on different sites. Hear he is above average defensively with power. Another Devers? Andujar?  Valara is an interesting player.  Has some experience as you've read with St Louis and LA. Limited so not enough time to see how he'll hit ml pitching.  A couple scouts said he was an okay player. Not great! Is okay enough?  I thought we would get Ruiz the catcher back and read last week LA was prepared to include him.  Not sure why he wasn't unless we decided to go in another direction with one of these other players.  We drafted a SS who may be here in a oouple of years and decided against Lux. May was rumored for several days and also was substituted in the deal. For who? Kremer?   His K rate is impressive and his delivery is going to keep hitters off balance it appears.

Who will get here the quickest? I heard a national guy say Valara will probably be here in a few weeks if not sooner. Depends on how he does at Norfolk.  It sounds like Bannon and Diaz could get here about the same time. September call ups? Probably!

Now what do we hold out  for in Britton and Jones deals? Mostly pitching and a catcher?  i've heard we want Francisco Mejia with Cleveland. Can we get him in a Jones and Brach deal with them?

Solid!

I think the fact that the Orioles gave no salary relief and included no international slot money is quite telling. I love Diaz. Driveline loves Kremer. Bannon is my prototypical kind of favorite player. Plus the pundits say he plays a great third base. What little I have seen of Pop he looks like a fine bullpen piece immediately. 

3 hours ago, section18 said:

i've heard we want Francisco Mejia with Cleveland. Can we get him in a Jones and Brach deal with them?

Solid!

Not a chance. We'd probably have to offer Givens to get his name in the conversation and even then I don't know

I'm quite happy with the return we got. And I hope Manny helps them win some ballgames for the rest of the year, I'll miss seeing him in orange.  

I also just realized that Max Muncy wears #13 for Los Angeles. Wonder if he'll give up the number for Manny. I think Muncy is only earning the MLB minimum, so maybe he can swing a Rolex out of the deal, Machado surely has a few of those to spare.  ;) 

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Ive talked to insiders. They say Diaz is potentially a good player with a good aggressive swing and the usable power which generally comes as he plays in the major leagues.The others are a mixed bag of players who have youth and inexperience and possibly some upside.We lost a player that comes once in generation in exchange for a few players who MAY pan out. The bottom line is, Manny wasn't going to sign long term with Baltimore.This franchise is simply not a destination point for elite players who have earned their right to seek bigger and more lucrative deals. I wish Manny well. He gave us a lot of thrills. But now its time to get to work...and rebuild. Lets start by overhauling and improving our scouting system.Right now we have essentially 3 scouts. That has to change right away.

We have more than 3 scouts... 

8 hours ago, ExileAngelos said:

I would have said outstanding.  What they got was at minimum solid.

I'm still thinking it was all about money. They either could not afford to give up any, or they have other uses earmarked. And the fact that the international funds are intact shocks me.