NCRaven

Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

From today's Prospect Chat on Fangraphs.  I thought the O's were the only team that tended to avoid high dollar signings of 16 year old international amateurs.

pirates hurdles
12:12
Any thoughts about the Bucs strategy to forego top INTL talent and sign 50+ cheaper guys? Is this on purpose or is it due to a Gayo related problem with top guys?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:14
Philly does that too and has had success. SInce we're talking about 15/16 year-old kids there's a lot of physical volatility involved, much more than is even involved in the HS scouting process. So casting a wide net is going to yield some nice surprises as guys suddenly morph into Gregory Polanco or Cesar Hernandez. There's no single best way to attack IFA, in  my opinion, lots of options.

Interesting that he mentioned Philly, which is run by MacPhail and Klentak.    It was Klentak who indicated the O’s had done a study and found that big international signings were a bad investment.   

However, I think Longenhagen’s information is out of date, as Philly certainly made some high profile signings last July.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/239897726-phillies-sign-no-7-intl-prospect-luis-garcia.amp.html

I thought the Philly comparison was interesting, as well.  Guess there's always exceptions to a rule.  The Orioles don't give pitchers four year contacts, except when they do!

Trivia question: In the last ten years, how many players debuted for the Orioles who ever played on their DSL farm teams?

Answer: One, Jonathan Schoop, who played there in 2009.

Eduardo Rodriguez played there in 2010, but was traded before his major league debut.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trivia question: In the last ten years, how many players debuted for the Orioles who ever played on their DSL farm teams?

Answer: One, Jonathan Schoop, who played there in 2009.

Eduardo Rodriguez played there in 2010, but was traded before his major league debut.   

Which makes another good point, it’s impossible to glean anything from the DSL stat lines. 

Schoop went .239/.320/.291 in the DSL as a 17 year old.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Which makes another good point, it’s impossible to glean anything from the DSL stat lines. 

Schoop went .239/.320/.291 in the DSL as a 17 year old.

Yeah, who ever thought he would turn into the .213/.261/.370  26 year old that he is today.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Could we possibly have lost enough this year to get this re-evaluated for this July 2?

I believe at some point in the next....decade.... whether driven by a front office exec who makes it a condition of employment, or a change in policy from Peter's sons, the Orioles will access this talent pipe.

All these 2018 losses could have a silver lining if it leads Peter to reassess.  That said, while he hasn't been as transparent about as the Tigers former owner was, I'm sure changing gears towards a long-term rebuild is tough when you are about to be 89.

24 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Could we possibly have lost enough this year to get this re-evaluated for this July 2?

I believe at some point in the next....decade.... whether driven by a front office exec who makes it a condition of employment, or a change in policy from Peter's sons, the Orioles will access this talent pipe.

All these 2018 losses could have a silver lining if it leads Peter to reassess.  That said, while he hasn't been as transparent about as the Tigers former owner was, I'm sure changing gears towards a long-term rebuild is tough when you are about to be 89.

It’s probably already too late to go after any of the top talent, most of those types are already all but committed to a team. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s probably already too late to go after any of the top talent, most of those types are already all but committed to a team. 

Is Miguel Tejada JR already committed? 

57 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Is Miguel Tejada JR already committed? 

Not sure, I honestly don’t follow the J2 stuff as I should because the Orioles aren’t involved much.

There are reports that the White Sox are linked to him though.

• Upvote 1