NCRaven

Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

Nah, I’m done giving this administration the benefit of the doubt. I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then this is just lip service to try and calm the angry masses after trading Manny.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Reading this thread is like Christmas morning.  I'm not even kidding.  I feel like I felt when I got Mario 3 when I was like 9.

Thanks,  I hadn't felt old yet this morning.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Reading this thread is like Christmas morning.  I'm not even kidding.  I feel like I felt when I got Mario 3 when I was like 9.

Did your parents promise to give you Mario 3 and then hide it away for many years in a row while you had to watch all your friends getting it and you were the only one left out?    ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Aglets said:

Did your parents promise to give you Mario 3 and then hide it away for many years in a row?    ;)

It came out when he was four.

• Haha 1

When the Orioles announce the addition of ten more scouts I will believe.  They are very cheap with scouting.  Just the opposite from the old Oriole way of competing with the Yanks by having better scouting and development.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks,  I hadn't felt old yet this morning.

Well, you're old. 😜

10 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Did your parents promise to give you Mario 3 and then hide it away for many years in a row while you had to watch all your friends getting it and you were the only one left out?    ;)

Nope.  They made me and my cousins sit at the top of the stairs on Christmas morning for what seemed like an eternity while getting everything set up before we could come down.

OK, the metaphor maybe still works....lol.  Just not as well.

To quote our fearless leader, I hope that it's not just words this time and that "it will literally come true."

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

As far as the O's getting involved in the international market, I'll believe it when I see it.  Sign someone, talk is cheap.

It also takes a while.    It’s not just about throwing money at players, it’s about scouting, relationships and brand recognition.    

12 hours ago, btkidd01 said:

Does anyone know if Victor Víctor ever played ball with Diaz in Cuba. They’re around the same age. Might help with the lack of relationship our organization has had. Although I did read something a few weeks ago that mentioned the orioles and victor victor or victor jr (brothers) in the same sentence. I’ll see if I can find it

The fantasy in my brain is telling me that they locked onto Diaz to help recruit Victor Victor. And paired with this announcement/hint at more investment, they are prepping to make a big splash and target Victor. No one can offer a bigger bonus...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The fantasy in my brain is telling me that they locked onto Diaz to help recruit Victor Victor. And paired with this announcement/hint at more investment, they are prepping to make a big splash and target Victor. No one can offer a bigger bonus...

I've been preaching that, it's one of those things that makes so much sense, but then you remember what team we are talking about and start having doubts.

I think a Victor Victor signing would signal to fans in a believable way that they've turned the corner and are going to be a better run organization going forward. I think it'd have significant PR value beyond the value of the player. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I've been preaching that, it's one of those things that makes so much sense, but then you remember what team we are talking about and start having doubts.

I think a Victor Victor signing would signal to fans in a believable way that they've turned the corner and are going to be a better run organization going forward. I think it'd have significant PR value beyond the value of the player. 

Some posters have been begging for International market activity for decades.

The owner doesn't believe in it.

So miraculously, when the fan base is pissed off at trading their star HOF, they pull out this BS.

Well, I call BS, and don't believe a GD word.

Its a PR move to placate the fan base.

IMO

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Some posters have been begging for International market activity for decades.

The owner doesn't believe in it.

So miraculously, when the fan base is pissed off at trading their star HOF, they pull out this BS.

Well, I call BS, and don't believe a GD word.

Its a PR move to placate the fan base.

IMO

You also didn't think Manny was getting traded.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

You also didn't think Manny was getting traded.

True, I will own up to that for sure.

But, that doesn't change the timing of this news, and it doesn't change that people have been begging for them to show activity in the international market pool.

Sorry, if my disgust with the ownership to cloud my opinion, but I still think this is just a BS PR move.

I will gladly change my tune, if I actually see them do something.