Greg Pappas

John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree all around, but, do you risk the QO on him? If not we’ll get nothing for Adam except a limited return from Cleveland.

Jones has already stated he would like to come back.  No way you risk a QO.  He might not get 2/18 on the open market.

• Upvote 1

You do not use the QO on Adam.  He will earn nothing close to that for one year and surely would accept.   I do not think an aging free swinging poor defensive outfielder in decline is going to get a big contract.  

4 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree all around, but, do you risk the QO on him? If not we’ll get nothing for Adam except a limited return from Cleveland.

I really like AJ but the QO would be far too much.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

3/21 or so if he moves to right.

Why?  How does he help a youth movement?  Why block our young outfielders.  Spend that money  on scouting, international development.  Anything but a purely clubhouse presence who is getting worse and will not be worth the money or roster spot.  We have Davis for that....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cavspider said:

Why?  How does he help a youth movement?  Why block our young outfielders.  Spend that money  on scouting, international development.  Anything but a purely clubhouse presence who is getting worse and will not be worth the money or roster spot.  We have Davis for that....

We actually have no proven OF's coming up. I like a few of them but AJ has been here and done that.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

We actually have no proven OF's coming up. I like a few of them but AJ has been here and done that.

I'm thinking by your definition there is no such thing as a proven OF coming up? 

Jones is slower than Mancini, let that sink in a second.

Why should a rebuilding team tether themselves to an older, declining player for three years?

The only reason is sentimentality, and the O's can't afford that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Now is the time to find out what we have.  They should be learning.  We know what Adam has now and can guess going forward it willbe worse.  He has been in decline for like 3years right?  Will only be worse, and maybe a lot worse soon.  I'd rather the young guys not come up and copy his free swinging ways too.  He is not someone to emulate at the plate.  We will not be competitive until at least 2020 and probably more like 2021.  During that time we have to give the young guys experience and outfield is one area where we have quite a few real prospects.

Edited by Cavspider

Just now, Cavspider said:

Now is the time to find out what we have.  They should be learning.  We know what Adam has now and can guess going forward it willbe worse.  He has been in decline for like 3 now, right?  Will only be worse, and maybe a lot worse soon.  I'd rather the young guys not come up and copy his free swinging ways too.  He is not someone to emulate at the plate.  We will not be competitive until at least 2020 and probably more like 2021.  During that time we have to give the young guys experience and outfield is one area where we have quite a few real prospects.

I disagree on 1 point. If they do this right we can sniff .500 in 2020. As for AJ, I think it would be worth keeping him at the right price. Some disagree. I get it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

I disagree on 1 point. If they do this right we can sniff .500 in 2020. As for AJ, I think it would be worth keeping him at the right price. Some disagree. I get it.

I'd love to hear your plan for .500 in 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The pitching isn't that bad. Work on the D. I'll post something in detail.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle, Diaz, Hays Sedlock, Victor Victor, could all be playing then.  Yes, I am making the assumption we sign Mesa and that group pans out to a degree. Mesa and Diaz play all star level baseball(hopeful thinking ) and pitchers pan out. 2020 is ambitious 2021 they become the 2016 astros. 😁

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1.   Bundy and Gausman wake up and become aces.

2.    Diaz, Hays, Mullins, and Stewart all reach the majors and are studs.

3.    Beckham remembers he was the overall no. 1 pick and starts playing like it’s August 2017.

4.    Sisco starts hitting like he did in the minors.    

5.    Chris Davis goes to Tibet, gains enlightenment, and either comes back a new man or doesn’t come back at all.

Questions?

Just now, Frobby said:

1.   Bundy and Gausman wake up and become aces.

2.    Diaz, Hays, Mullins, and Stewart all reach the majors and are studs.

3.    Beckham remembers he was the overall no. 1 pick and starts playing like it’s August 2017.

4.    Sisco starts hitting like he did in the minors.    

5.    Chris Davis goes to Tibet, gains enlightenment, and either comes back a new man or doesn’t come back at all.

Questions?

I really like # 5.