Greg Pappas

John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

If Jones is on the team after this year there might as well not be a rebuild.

The O's are already most likely stuck with Trumbo next year and Davis forever. The top prospects the O's have are outfielders. There's no reason to have an aging outfielder(who may or may not move from CF) who will be allowed to play most of the games because he wants to and he is one of Showalter's guys. Many posters on this board have complained about Showalter favoring 'his guys',  and now in this thread some of you want to have Jones around for a few more years because you like him!

It's time to move on to the future.

• Upvote 3

I like AJ and always will. But as a GM or Owner you have to make impartial decisions. I'm not sure any active player can do that. They stand by their teammates.

1 hour ago, Why Not? said:

It was sold at auction for something like 30% of the original asking price, so I think it was considered a bargain. You don't think anyone invests in real estate in Baltimore? 

Like I said, there are lots of bargain mansions. I find it interesting that Adam picked one in Baltimore. And then had dinner with the dying owners son during his walk year. You seem to be very sure that it was just a business deal but I don't know how you can be so certain. 

• Upvote 1

Love Adam. Been a great Oriole on and off the field- and hope he ends up back in BAL in some capacity some day. That said- hopefully (from everyone’s POV) JA was just taking a final opportunity to sound Adam out on the organization and city before he moves on to a contender (CLE?) though... 

3 hours ago, panick said:

If Jones is on the team after this year there might as well not be a rebuild.

The O's are already most likely stuck with Trumbo next year and Davis forever. The top prospects the O's have are outfielders. There's no reason to have an aging outfielder(who may or may not move from CF) who will be allowed to play most of the games because he wants to and he is one of Showalter's guys. Many posters on this board have complained about Showalter favoring 'his guys',  and now in this thread some of you want to have Jones around for a few more years because you like him!

It's time to move on to the future.

He has said he knows he will have t move from CF.  If you move Trumbo in a deal and don’t believe in Mancini, is there room for Jones to come back after having been traded away to assist the new guys in becoming great players and great men?  If it is a short term deal, I can see it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Eddie_Murray33 said:

Love Adam. Been a great Oriole on and off the field- and hope he ends up back in BAL in some capacity some day. That said- hopefully (from everyone’s POV) JA was just taking a final opportunity to sound Adam out on the organization and city before he moves on to a contender (CLE?) though... 

I hope. Can't see why an aging OF should have any input into FO decisions.

9 hours ago, sevastras said:

Hopefully they were talking about where he would accept a trade to and Jones probably said send me to where ever as long as we have a deal for me to finish my career in Baltimore. He did just buy Cals house. 

Yes he did but he can sell it too.

9 hours ago, Dr. Unk said:

I'd hate to see him go, because he is the face of the O's now, but I like this thinking.  

I wouldn't at all mind sending him out for the rest of the season to chase a ring.  He deserves it, it's an easy gift to give, and it helps the team.  It's a win-win.

9 hours ago, Why Not? said:

That was just an investment. Jones doesn't live there or intend to. 

Yes Adam and Audie do live at Cal’s place now. They listed their first Baltimore house (Lutherville) for sale earlier this month. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Like I said, there are lots of bargain mansions. I find it interesting that Adam picked one in Baltimore. And then had dinner with the dying owners son during his walk year. You seem to be very sure that it was just a business deal but I don't know how you can be so certain. 

He’s wrong. He and his wife are living their with their two boys. Lol put their other house up for sale.

1 hour ago, Sir_Loin said:

He’s wrong. He and his wife are living their with their two boys. Lol put their other house up for sale.

Is that right? I stand corrected then. It contradicts everything that I had seen written at the time of the auction. 

A rebuilding team should absolutely move on, and cold blooded businessmen could make that move and not look back.  I’m not that guy though.  It may be tricky but I hope they figure out a way to keep him.  

Heck right now the Orioles keep flanking him with infielders on each side.  Even if you call up Stewart and Mullins I still see room for Jones another couple years.  But that means moving Mancini back to first, which means tough swallows on Davis and Trumbo.  Thats all not impossible but also not probable either.

• Thanks 1