TonySoprano

Zach Britton Appreciation Thread

It was such an incredible luxury having Zach be automatic. The guy blew 8 saves over 3 years! 

I got so used to it that there were plenty of games where I didn't watch the 9th inning. I was that confident that he would seal the deal. 

He was so steady and like a lot of the guys from the core of those teams, seems like a really good dude. It was a helluva run. 

1 minute ago, andrewochs615 said:

Was Britton the last of the "cavalry"?  Am I missing anyone?

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Britton 

That what I remember. Those core 4. Britton being the last piece like you said. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Goodbye to the man whose face reminded me of l Max Schmeling.

1305221727.jpg oooolllllllllllloooo Image result for Max Schmeling face

o

Schmelling looks more like Chris Davis if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Was Britton the last of the "cavalry"?  Am I missing anyone?

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Britton 

David Hernandez

Brad Bergesen

Hernandez is having a nice year with the Reds. I'd forgotten the details of the trade:

December 6, 2010: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles with Kam Mickolio to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named later and Mark Reynolds. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent John Hester (April 30, 2011) to the Baltimore Orioles to complete the trade.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Goodbye to the man whose face reminded me of l Max Schmeling.

1305221727.jpg oooolllllllllllloooo Image result for Max Schmeling face

o

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Schmelling looks more like Chris Davis, if you ask me.

o

Chris Davis looks like the late l Arturo Gatti.

Image result for Chris Davisoooolllllllllllloooo Image result for Arturo Gatti

o

• Confused 1

My family had a sunday season ticket package beginning with Cal's last year.  As the kids got to ball playing age, we stopped coming because they were always playing.  They all wear #'s of O's.  Too many good stories.  But one of my daughters loved to talk about ZB.  One night when he was pitching she heard the announcer talk about Zach Britton having an amazing sinker.

The next day she asked me if I could show her how to throw a "Stinker"

Losing Manny and Zack are hard.  It's a reminder of many mistakes.  But there have been some really really good times.

Thanks Zack, best wishes to you and I hope you win a WS ring.  Of course, I hope it's next year for someone other than the MFY's.  Hope you understand!

That power sinker was a thing to behold.  I remember when ESPN ranked it as the best pitch in the game.  Was really proud to have the guy with the best pitch of any pitcher in the entire sport on our roster.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/14625469/the-best-pitches-mlb-zach-britton-sinker-tops-list-mlb

Not sure why it's on insider, I remember reading the whole article.

This was a good article too:  https://www.mlb.com/news/zach-britton-succeeding-with-unhittable-sinker/c-144372742

Loved watching him pitch.  The Yankees are so far out in front of us this year, I don't mind saying that I hope he has success there, hopefully not into next year.  Even if the Yankees take home a WS title this year it'll be slightly less unbearable knowing that Zach got a ring.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That power sinker was a thing to behold.  I remember when ESPN ranked it as the best pitch in the game.  Was really proud to have the guy with the best pitch of any pitcher in the entire sport on our roster.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/14625469/the-best-pitches-mlb-zach-britton-sinker-tops-list-mlb

Not sure why it's on insider, I remember reading the whole article.

This was a good article too:  https://www.mlb.com/news/zach-britton-succeeding-with-unhittable-sinker/c-144372742

Loved watching him pitch.  The Yankees are so far out in front of us this year, I don't mind saying that I hope he has success there, hopefully not into next year.  Even if the Yankees take home a WS title this year it'll be slightly less unbearable knowing that Zach got a ring.  

Oh no you did dint. ;) 

Great memories of Zach over the last few years! But this was a step in the right direction and can't wait to see what these prospects bring :D

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Oh no you did dint. ;) 

Sure did.  They're just on another planet from where we are right now.  Sure, I won't be rooting for them but if Zach gets a ring there I'd be happy for him.  I think we all would.

45 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

It was such an incredible luxury having Zach be automatic. The guy blew 8 saves over 3 years! 

I got so used to it that there were plenty of games where I didn't watch the 9th inning. I was that confident that he would seal the deal. 

He was so steady and like a lot of the guys from the core of those teams, seems like a really good dude. It was a helluva run. 

Absolutely.  I've never felt so at ease watching a closer come in, even with a one run lead.  I knew they only way they'd get to him was if they hit some pathetic 20 foot choppers that died on the infield.