Jump to content
LocoChris

Josh Rogers 2018

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Very meh stuff, stayed off the barrel for the most part, but he'll have to be sharper with his command if he wants that stuff to play especially after the book on him gets out.

What’s his typical repertoire?  Seemed like he threw a lot of fastballs. Maybe with the nerves of his first start he didn’t have a feel for his breaking stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also he'll likely be able to pace himself better in the future. He threw 93 in the first, which I've never seen or heard of him touching before, adrenaline I'd guess. Then was topping out at 89 in the 4th and 5th inning. Maybe he'd be able to hold 90-91 if he paced himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He threw 62% FB, which seems a little high, but not weirdly high. He threw a change, slider, and curveball as well. Maybe a 2S mixed in. His changeup was really poor IMO, and his curveball wasn't nearly an average pitch either. The slider was good at times and his FB has enough armside command that he was able to keep it off barrels. I don't know if the secondary stuff is going to get much better, it's going to be about command for him.

He had 5 swinging strikes good for 5.9% there are 2 qualified major league starters or relievers lower than that, out of 223. 

He hasn't been much better in AAA, 7.4% and 8.2% respectively. Those numbers usually go down as you move up. He'll need some Bleier magic IMO. 

Great summary. That really puts things into perspective. At least he wasn’t out there walking everyone. If he stays up, his next start would likely be in SEA so that would help him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky enough to have real good seats last night somewhat close to home plate. 

Looks real tall on the mound. Clearly he was pumped up in the 1st. The lack of swing and misses is concerning. Wasn’t able to finish off Smoak and then the HR.  

Not sure how many more innings he gets in this year but hope to see him some more. Looked like from my seats he mainly pitched up in the zone. Of course some of his misses may have been too juiced up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Great summary. That really puts things into perspective. At least he wasn’t out there walking everyone. If he stays up, his next start would likely be in SEA so that would help him. 

I would hope/think except for Cobb and Cashner Buck backs off some of these guys and perhaps goes to a 6 man rotation. It happens everyear it seems. Curious if any other starters get called up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He threw 62% FB, which seems a little high, but not weirdly high. He threw a change, slider, and curveball as well. Maybe a 2S mixed in. His changeup was really poor IMO, and his curveball wasn't nearly an average pitch either. The slider was good at times and his FB has enough armside command that he was able to keep it off barrels. I don't know if the secondary stuff is going to get much better, it's going to be about command for him.

He had 5 swinging strikes good for 5.9% there are 2 qualified major league starters or relievers lower than that, out of 223. 

He hasn't been much better in AAA, 7.4% and 8.2% respectively. Those numbers usually go down as you move up. He'll need some Bleier magic IMO. 

I expect to see his curveball become much better than what we saw last night.  I think its a good to plus pitch for him.  He seemed to be losing it high and arm side quite a bit last night.  In his presser after the game, Buck mentioned some struggles with the different baseball used in MLB versus MiLB.  He implied that there were some struggles there with getting the feel on his off speed stuff.   Buck went on to mention how ridiculous it is that they use different balls and says he thinks it will get addressed this offseason.

I spoke to a college pitcher that pitched in the CAA and he was telling me how much different the ball was when they played in a game at an ACC stadium (using the ACC ball vs the CAA ball).  He kept a ball to show me the difference in the seams and it was unbelievable.  The ACC ball seems were considerably more raised.  He said his off speed stuff all had considerably more movement but it took him his whole bullpen plus part of the game to get comfortable with trying to control the pitches much less hit spots with them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad first start.  Unfortunately I had a late night and didn't get to see it.  Keep running him out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Very meh stuff, stayed off the barrel for the most part, but he'll have to be sharper with his command if he wants that stuff to play especially after the book on him gets out.

Agreed. Looks like a low end 5th starter/swingman kind of guy based off that stuff. Nothing was too impressive but he did bear down nicely in the 5th inning to get out of that jam and earn the win. Seems like a guy who can maximize his stuff due to makeup. Still, I'd like to see him a few more times before making too much of a judgement call on him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the ball difference was a factor. Everything he threw was in the upper half of the zone and with his skill set he will get destroyed pitching above or near the belt. I wasn't overly impressed with his stuff, but I would be willing to give him a couple more chances to see if it was nerves or the baseball

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 8:08 PM, Luke-OH said:

Very meh stuff, stayed off the barrel for the most part, but he'll have to be sharper with his command if he wants that stuff to play especially after the book on him gets out.

I agree about the command, but if he’s been generating weak contact in the minors I’m guessing he has some deception. It’s hard to tell on tv, but some of the few swings and misses (inside FB to Travis) were well placed and didn’t seem to be plus pitches. His CH is below average and the slider command is spotty. Hitters having trouble picking it up? He does have the type of delivery that looks like he’s jumping at the hitter.

The ball could be a legitimate issue for the first start, but the command definitely needs to improve. The HR allowed to Smoak was a good example of bad command without movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. Looks like a low end 5th starter/swingman kind of guy based off that stuff. Nothing was too impressive but he did bear down nicely in the 5th inning to get out of that jam and earn the win. Seems like a guy who can maximize his stuff due to makeup. Still, I'd like to see him a few more times before making too much of a judgement call on him. 

Roch predicts one more start from Rogers before shutting him down for the season:

Quote

* I wrote yesterday that left-hander Josh Rogers will get one more start with the Orioles after winning his major league debut on Tuesday. They’re expected to shut him down because he’s already reached 144 2/3 innings with three teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

 

Rogers is a funny guy.

 

 

16 OUTS: ) 5 GroundoutsStrikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Out Trying to Stretch a Single

 

 

JOSHUA COLE ROGERS )))))))) (vs. MARINERS, 9/03)

IP:ll5.33

H:llll)) (2 Triples, 2 Singles)

R:lllll2

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l 80 )(50)Strikes, )30 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.35  ) 10.33 IP  (5 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.355  )  10.33 IP  (14 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  )l .275 )  (11 for 40)

 

PITCHES BY INNING

*******************

15 lll(11 llStrikes, ll4 lllBalls)

11 lll(71 llStrikes, lll4 lllBalls)

11 lll(61 llStrikes, ll5 llBalls)

20 llll(11 llStrikes, lll9 lllBalls)

21 lll(13 llStrikes, lll8 lllBalls)

21 lll(21 llStrikes, lll0 lllBalls) ) *

 

* )) Rogers recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...