weams

Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The more I look at it the more I think the Brewers trade was great. 

Carmona is a stud SS. 

Ortiz was a former 1st round pick that has 4 pitches. Already in AA. 

Villar has been worth 1.8 WAR this year. Even before the trades he’d be our 2nd best player WAR wise. 

Three weeks ago this would’ve been laughed at. Schoop is a decent upgrade over Villar but we get Villar through 2021.  

And Villar is under control through 2020 (a fact which really surprises me, seems like he has been around long enough that he should be closer to free agency).

So he can help stabilize the middle infield behind our pitchers for a few years while we wait for our system to start producing some middle infield talent.

For 1 year + 2 months of Schoop, this looks like a decent deal.

Gausman deal does not look good IMO.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, you're talking about trading for teams stud prospects by taking on bad contracts in return, correct?  

I'm talking about not sacrificing prospect returns.  And what is actually the smarter payroll strategy during a real build.  

• Upvote 1

Their payroll has been pretty stripped, with not much commitments starting next year and especially in 2020. What are the odds Manny coming back is in the cards now? What do you do with the freed up money?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Someone help me here.   Looks like two franchise ruining trades.

But now we can use minor league players in the big leagues. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Can someone please tell me how taking on Villar makes sense for this team? He's under contract for two frickin' years.

Flip him next year.  

• Upvote 1

The players the Pirates gave up for Archer make me scratch my head even more. I mean, I'm not a minor league savant, but I've certainly heard of Meadows and Glasnow. 

If all these moves were motivated by salary dumps then whoever put us in the hole by spearheading the O'Day, Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb signings should be tarred and feathered. Preferably during the 7th inning stretch of a weekend game. 

My initial impression is that I don't like any of the players we got in either of these trades.  Luis Ortiz was a first round pick a few years ago but he is mediocre in his third try at the Southern League.   Jonathan Villar is filler.  Jean Carmona is young but he is struggling to hit in the Pioneer League. 

Brett Cumberland was a second round pick a couple of years ago but can't hit .250 in the low minors.   Jean Encarnacion has a 13/100 BB/K ratio in the low minors.  Brett Zimmerman is a former fifth round pick; good K/IP and ERA at A/AA but lots of walks.  Evan Phillips looks like a major league ready bullpen guy, so that's fine.

I don't think any of these guys deserve to be in our top 10.  Maybe Ortiz, on stuff/reputation alone, but the results are not there and results matter.  

I was very impressed by what DD was able to bring back for Machado and Britton.  These trades just seem like salary dumps or making moves for the sake of making moves.  If the value wasn't there, they shouldn't have pulled the trigger.  I think we got fleeced, big time.  

Another thing to ponder with the Gausman trade, think about all this AA SP we’ve just acquired. There were lots of factors at play. 

Oday’s money for this year and next. AA SP new depth. Slot money to get VVM. Actual money to get VVM. 

4 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

The  issue isn't necessarily overrating Gausman but the amount of control he had. I think people expected better for a solid pitcher under control for another 2 years.

I think you're right. But it's important to note that those two controllable years wouldn't be terribly cheap and the O's are not planning to compete anyway. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And Villar is under control through 2021 (a fact which really surprises me, seems like he has been around long enough that he should be closer to free agency).

So he can help stabilize the middle infield behind our pitchers for a few years while we wait for our system to start producing some middle infield talent.

For 1 year + 2 months of Schoop, this looks like a decent deal.

Gausman deal does not look good IMO.

He's an awful fielder though.  Not sure he's the guy we want behind our pitchers.

I'm not going to freak out over the Gausman return. There might actually be a star in there for all any of us know. My expectations were not that high to begin with, honestly. I mean, Gaus is a 2 pitch pitcher and I hope he does well for the Braves, but I think despite the talk on here about other teams don't undervalue him as much as we do, we've seen that isn't the case after all.