weams

Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

1 minute ago, theocean said:

Even if those players never even make it to the major league level, the O's saved a ton of money in that trade. Looking back, I think it's safe to say now that DD won both the Milwaukee and Atlanta trades.

They got nothing back of value from that Milwaukee trade. Nobody won that trade. I would say the O's won the trade with Atlanta by virtue of dumping O'Day's salary. If Zimmermann does anything in the majors with the O's,  it has the potential to be a major win.  

3 minutes ago, AceKing said:

This is probably another reason that we are having a hard time finding trade partners.

huh?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AceKing said:

This is probably another reason that we are having a hard time finding trade partners.

Because of the GM who no longer works for the team?

Fascinating.

• Haha 1

I think he's implying that the Orioles players all sucking after they move to a new team is giving other teams pause when trying to trade with us?  I think?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm surprised they didn't move him to the BP for the remainder of the season then non-tender him.

Apparently, the Braves GM was asked about moving Gausman to the bullpen last week and he pretty much dismissed the suggestion because there was no room for him in the pen. The Braves picked up three relievers at the trade deadline. Where would they be able to find the roster space for him? 

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I think he's implying that the Orioles players all sucking after they move to a new team is giving other teams pause when trying to trade with us?  I think?

But isn't that the exact opposite of the narrative that players that are on the O's just need slight tweaks by a competent organizations to turn into superstars a la Arrieta?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't make any sense as having any meaningful effect on a team's valuation of a player they are looking to acquire. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

But isn't that the exact opposite of the narrative that players that are on the O's just need slight tweaks by a competent organizations to turn into superstars a la Arrieta?

You can spin any trade result to the negative for the O’s if you try.    I remember when Gausman was doing well for the Braves last year there were many posters making the argument you summarized above.   Now that he’s having a bad year, it’s “teams don’t want to trade for the O’s garbage.”

43 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They got nothing back of value from that Milwaukee trade. Nobody won that trade. I would say the O's won the trade with Atlanta by virtue of dumping O'Day's salary. If Zimmermann does anything in the majors with the O's,  it has the potential to be a major win.  

Pretty sure Villar is a solid MLB asset, regardless of what you think of him.  He's maybe not quite good enough to start for a playoff contender, but good enough to be a bench guy just about anywhere.  Too bad the defensive metrics weren't kind to him this year, that could have really depressed his value.  His bat and speed are fine, though, for a middle infielder.  There's still time to deal him.  And he's way, way better than anyone else we could be playing at second or short right now in our system.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Jake just needed to be himself man! And finally give up his six pitches because he was shamed by the trade and demotion. 

34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't make any sense as having any meaningful effect on a team's valuation of a player they are looking to acquire. 

Especially when our GM is in his first year with the O's.  

Gausman was worth 1 WAR last year for the Braves, and -1 WAR this year for them.  

So from strictly the ATL and BAL point of view, it basically boils down to a double salary dump and some meh prospects for us, in exchange for a 2 month rental for the Braves of an above-average starting pitcher performance.  This year was a bust and Atlanta cut bait on him, so you kind of just write it off.  

Hence, in hindsight, what looked to me at the time like a C- kind of trade for Baltimore sort of looks like a solid B.  Still wish we had pressed for better prospects, though, even if it meant we had to keep O'Day.  Not sure what all that salary dump really does for us, given that we already have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  It's not like we're looking to make any splashy FA signings this offseason (or, let's be honest, not likely the following offseason either).

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Jake just needed to be himself man! And finally give up his six pitches because he was shamed by the trade and demotion. 

Short peak.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FanSince88 said:

Gausman was worth 1 WAR last year for the Braves, and -1 WAR this year for them.  

So from strictly the ATL and BAL point of view, it basically boils down to a double salary dump and some meh prospects for us, in exchange for a 2 month rental for the Braves of an above-average starting pitcher performance.  This year was a bust and Atlanta cut bait on him, so you kind of just write it off.  

Hence, in hindsight, what looked to me at the time like a C- kind of trade for Baltimore sort of looks like a solid B.  Still wish we had pressed for better prospects, though, even if it meant we had to keep O'Day.  Not sure what all that salary dump really does for us, given that we already have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  It's not like we're looking to make any splashy FA signings this offseason (or, let's be honest, not likely the following offseason either).

How is money for nothing not a an A? Plus the guys. Some folks LIKE Zimmermann.