weams

Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

2 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Gausman was worth 1 WAR last year for the Braves, and -1 WAR this year for them.  

So from strictly the ATL and BAL point of view, it basically boils down to a double salary dump and some meh prospects for us, in exchange for a 2 month rental for the Braves of an above-average starting pitcher performance.  This year was a bust and Atlanta cut bait on him, so you kind of just write it off.  

Hence, in hindsight, what looked to me at the time like a C- kind of trade for Baltimore sort of looks like a solid B.  Still wish we had pressed for better prospects, though, even if it meant we had to keep O'Day.  Not sure what all that salary dump really does for us, given that we already have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  It's not like we're looking to make any splashy FA signings this offseason (or, let's be honest, not likely the following offseason either).

Nah. Minus 1 negates 1. It's nothin'

3 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Not sure what all that salary dump really does for us, given that we already have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  It's not like we're looking to make any splashy FA signings this offseason (or, let's be honest, not likely the following offseason either).

Pays the payroll on Monday. 

59 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They got nothing back of value from that Milwaukee trade. 

Villar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It's hard to be an effective major league starting pitcher without a third pitch. 

That by itself doesn't explain him getting that much worse at age 28. From 2014-2018 he was an above average pitcher overall and his lowest season of ERA+ was 93. This year it's 74. 

A quick look at his Fangraphs data shows his velocity is a few ticks down from his peak but not much different than a year ago. And his FIP is actually better than last year, his best since '16. 🤔

I'm not convinced it's the end of the road for Kevin. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, weams said:

Nah. Minus 1 negates 1. It's nothin'

The Braves have all but clinched a playoff spot this year but they were in a tight playoff race at last year's deadline.  Gausman's marginal value was worth much more to them last year in the context of a tight playoff race than his ineptitude has "hurt" them year where they've run away with the division anyway.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

Orioles won this trade big time. Atlanta got nothing but pain. 

Braves fans are still fine with this trade because Gausman played a major role in them winning the division last year. Plus they believe they gave up nothing of value for him. 

1 minute ago, FanSince88 said:

The Braves have all but clinched a playoff spot this year but they were in a tight playoff race at last year's deadline.  Gausman's marginal value was worth much more to them last year in the context of a tight playoff race than his ineptitude has "hurt" them year where they've run away with the division anyway.  

So, 150k value?

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Braves fans are still fine with this trade because Gausman played a major role in them winning the division last year. Plus they believe they gave up nothing of value for him. 

Yeah, this.  In hindsight, I give this trade a B for Baltimore and a B+ for Atlanta.  Gausman helped them win the division last year.  

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They got nothing back of value from that Milwaukee trade. Nobody won that trade. I would say the O's won the trade with Atlanta by virtue of dumping O'Day's salary. If Zimmermann does anything in the majors with the O's,  it has the potential to be a major win.  

Villar has been worth 3 WAR since going Baltimore . Schoop has been worth 1.3 WAR since leaving Baltimore. That alone is a win.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theocean said:

Villar has been worth 3 WAR since going Baltimore . Schoop has been worth 1.3 WAR since leaving Baltimore. That alone is a win.

No it isn't.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it isn't.

Because the Brewers Non Tendered. So they can't be credited for this year's stuff. 

I really hate the hindsight trade reviews. Yes Gausman has been terrible this year and yes Schoop was non-tendered in the offseason. All that overlooks the important fact that both players had significantly more value when they were traded. Trade value that I really think we failed to capitalize on by muddying the waters with O"Day and Villar. If you want to argue that salary relief was just as important as prospects that's perfectly fine, but don't preach to me about Villar and his 3 WAR season. He's not part of our future and it really means nothing in a season where wins really don't matter.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Because the Brewers Non Tendered. So they can't be credited for this year's stuff. 

No, because Villar's production is irrelevant unless the O's flip him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, because Villar's production is irrelevant unless the O's flip him.

Exactly. In hindsight I really wish we would have let Elias decide how to handle Schoop and Gausman. My guess is the Angelos brothers issued some sort of mandate about cutting costs and that's what triggered the whole scale purge. I think it had much more to do about saving money (and less about acquiring prospects) then any of us would care to admit. It's just something to keep in the back of your mind as we see how the teams allocate funds going forward.