Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 8/11/2018 at 01:24

11 hours ago, Spakman said:

Well maybe if people actually attended the games they would not have to cut payroll and could get better prospects.  Even when good, attendance has been really bad in last few years. I read constantly on here how people dont go to games or even watch on T.V. but I see them spend half their day taking about team on this site. I'm just saying. That being said they should have waited to trade Schoop it was much to rushed at deadline.

The Orioles are a billion dollar enterprise. 

You’re “just saying” but honestly if this franchise wants to cry poor they can blame years of mismanagement.

Here you are to blame the fans. You should be ashamed. If not for Stockholm Syndrome people in Baltimore wouldn’t put up with this garbage.

8 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

What does the salary free us up to do?

The slot money gives us the right to sign Cruz. It is possible that O'day gives us the actual cash to do it. We aren't going to have money coming in from tickets for a long, long time, and we still have to pay Trumbo, Davis, and Cobb.

While the returns for Machado and Britton generally received favorable reviews, the Schoop deal seemed curious, as discussed in the previous item, and the trade involving Gausman and O’Day was partly driven by finances. 

The Atlanta Braves, by taking on O’Day’s entire $9 million salary for next season, parted with lesser players than they might have in a deal that included only Gausman. The Orioles, as a result, failed to acquire a legitimate starting-pitching prospect from the Braves’ pitching system, instead landing one highly regarded long-term project, Class A infielder Jean Carlos Encarnacion; a switch-hitting catcher at Double A, Brett Cumberland; and two pitchers who did not crack their revised top 30 according to MLBPipeline.com, Evan Phillips and Bruce Zimmerman.

Rosenthal - https://theathletic.com/454272/2018/08/01/rosenthal-pirates-defy-the-narrative-by-pulling-off-trade-for-chris-archer/

I graded this a C but in looking at it differently it might actually be better. Think about it, everyone is disappointed that we didn't get one or two of there better prospects. Rework the deal a bit an compare what we really traded.

By all accounts the pitcher they were willing to move was Gohara (62 on MLB), he's actually one of the ones I liked the least of their prospects. We might have been able to squeeze another top 100 but given the focus on pitching lets say the second piece was Joey Wentz instead of JEC. They liked Cumberland and clearly were targeting some relief prospects. So rework the deal around that... Gohara / Wentz / Cumberland / Phillips for just Gausman. I think that would have been a reasonable expectation and would have been more favorably viewed.

So DD trades Gohara/Wentz for JEC / $12M dollars (O'Day) / $2.5M Int'l Signing Bonus. If that bonus turns into Gaston and we use our original bonus money for VVM. It's not the worst return.

I get the argument that I'd rather eat the $12M and pocket a better prospect but I think we have to assume they need the $$$ to divert to the rest of DDs plan on Scouting/Int'l/Analytics/etc. 

10 hours ago, Thato'sfan said:

The Gausman deal IS uninspiring, but IMO has more value to this organization than the Gray package would have.

On top of that, Gray IMO had the stronger resume at the time of the trade. He had both more career WAR (12+) and a higher established ceiling (5.3 WAR) than Gausman (10.5 career, high of 4.1).

I find it interesting that although most of the articles I saw yesterday highlighted Encarnacion, Fangraphs has Cumberland rated as the 7th best prospect acquired by any team in the deadline deals, and second only to Diaz among the 15 players the O’s acquired in all their deals.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find it interesting that although most of the articles I saw yesterday highlighted Encarnacion, Fangraphs has Cumberland rated as the 7th best prospect acquired by any team in the deadline deals, and second only to Diaz among the 15 players the O’s acquired in all their deals.   

MLB.com has Encarnacion as our 15 best prospect and Cumberland as our 30th best prospect. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

MLB.com has Encarnacion as our 15 best prospect and Cumberland as our 30th best prospect. 

Just goes to show that opinions can differ.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just goes to show that opinions can differ.    

Fanagraphs seems to be not very useful for opinions. If you want to know how fast someone is throwing each pitch they can provide that but beyond that they are pretty useless. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Fanagraphs seems to be not very useful for opinions. If you want to know how fast someone is throwing each pitch they can provide that but beyond that they are pretty useless. 

I don’t agree.     Of course, it depends whose writing, and there’s nobody I agree with all the time.   But overall I think their opinions are well informed and well reasoned.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t agree.     Of course, it depends whose writing, and there’s nobody I agree with all the time.   But overall I think their opinions are well informed and well reasoned.  

I can't even read most of their articles because they are so poorly written.   

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

On top of that, Gray IMO had the stronger resume at the time of the trade. He had both more career WAR (12+) and a higher established ceiling (5.3 WAR) than Gausman (10.5 career, high of 4.1).

BUT

Sonny was coming off a terrible year, and then somewhere better than a replacement player; -0.3 and 1.6 before his trade.

Gausman did a 2.0 and then 2.4.

I'm late to the party here, but I REALLY don't like the Gausman deal at all. I get the Schoop deal and I was okay with it. I was hoping for more, but understand the get there. I really don't get it for Atlanta. Do we really need to save the money on O'Day THAT much? I like the international spending money, but that only matters IF we get VVM and use the rest of the money for meaningful pieces. If we don't this is a clearly failed trade in my mind. I gave it a "F" with a chance to move up to a "C" if we sign VVM and it's clearly understood that would NOT have happened if not for this deal.

Moving Gausman, I really wanted one of Soroka/Wright/Anderson/Gohara/Toussaint/Allard. I don't mind the risky, but high upside play on Encarnacion, but that would be the No.2 piece (at best) in a deal for me. And maybe it was with the $$ as the top get, but I wanted something like Toussaint, Wilson and Encarnacion and instead we got the third piece of that deal as the top prospect back, a catching prospect with an upside of a platoon player and some arms that have to pitch above their stuff-level to have an impact.