Jump to content
Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 8/11/2018 at 01:24

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Well maybe if people actually attended the games they would not have to cut payroll and could get better prospects.  Even when good, attendance has been really bad in last few years. I read constantly on here how people dont go to games or even watch on T.V. but I see them spend half their day taking about team on this site. I'm just saying. That being said they should have waited to trade Schoop it was much to rushed at deadline.

MLBAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bradysburns said:

You don't think Gausman is talented? Wow. You're a demanding guy. He's put up TWO seasons here with sub 3.70 ERAs with dominant stuff at times. In recent years, he's played behind HORRID defensive teams. And he's doing it all in an organization known for destroying pitchers. I think you greatly underestimate him. 

And comparing him to Jake Arrieta? Forget it. Jake's ERA numbers here were so ridiculous... he was SO bad, so consistently, that yes... of course nobody worried too much when we traded him. 

If Gausman, who wildly outperformed Jake in Baltimore, makes a similar leap in results... we're going to have to rename the Cy Young Award soon. 

I don't think we got fleeced here. But I think we accepted below-value returns. 

I see a guy who throws hard and that's about it.  Sometimes he has games where he can control his breaking pitches but other times not.  Cracks under the slightest bit of pressure or when something doesn't go his way.  

I see a guy who can throw hard, but it's a flat fastball with not a lot of movement.  First round pick, so I think people were going to be more inclined to try to squint a little harder and see greatness.  

He's going to the NL, probably will be better over there.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'd love to see the O's sign VVM, but did they have to make this trade to make that happen?  They already had more slot money than anyone else to throw around.  Getting $2.5 million more in bonus money seems like overkill.  

Encarnacion seems to have the highest ceiling of the guys we got, but a 13/100 K/BB ratio in the Sally League is a major red flag for me.  How many players have succeeded in the major leagues who had such an awful approach at this stage of their careers?   It's hard enough to project guys who have great numbers in the minors--lots of them never pan out.  Aren't the odds even longer when you try to project guys who have major warts in their track record?  

Not impressed by either of today's trades.  Very disappointing after the excellent returns we got for Manny and Zach.  Why make a trade just to make a trade?   

Trying to shed as much salary as possible.  Do Angelo's sons have any type of career or are they just robbing the team of money? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

 No one was heartbroken then because Arrieta was struggling. The consensus was “we did what we could, change of scenery, maybe he’s not that great”.

It wasn’t until after that it came out that they had mucked about with his pitches and the Cubs immediately had a great pitcher on their hands that people started blaming the developmental squad. 

All the posters here knew Arrieta had the stuff to be great. He was top prospect for us.

how is that not different if Gausman goes onto great things?

Theyd have a better defense if it wasn’t just Mussina and Bedard in the last 25 years.

OK, so what have the O's done to muck about with Gausman's pitches? He's had two different pitching coaches and has struggled with both. He's peripherals aren't that great this year and Camden Yards is hardly an excuse because he's much worse on the road. Sometimes these guys don't have the makeup to realize their potential 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

C with the possibility of improvement depending on who they sign internationally 

This is what I said... If they get Mesa I’m willing to call it a B.

I think you could deal ODay at next years deadline and get some value if he looks like his old self.

two good but not great prospects, a prospect that had backup or AAAA written all over him and a near ready mediocre relief pitcher. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I see a guy who throws hard and that's about it.  Sometimes he has games where he can control his breaking pitches but other times not.  Cracks under the slightest bit of pressure or when something doesn't go his way.  

I see a guy who can throw hard, but it's a flat fastball with not a lot of movement.  First round pick, so I think people were going to be more inclined to try to squint a little harder and see greatness.  

He's going to the NL, probably will be better over there.  

He may be better, for sure... as in All-Star Game better. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. 

But you made a very good point earlier about the slot money. 

You can look at that as money to put into a high-leverage "trade"... signing VVM, or a similarly promising international player. I'm willing to wait and see what we do with that cash before getting TOO disappointed. But I'm feelin' a little underwhelmed at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'd love to see the O's sign VVM, but did they have to make this trade to make that happen?  They already had more slot money than anyone else to throw around.  Getting $2.5 million more in bonus money seems like overkill.  

Encarnacion seems to have the highest ceiling of the guys we got, but a 13/100 K/BB ratio in the Sally League is a major red flag for me.  How many players have succeeded in the major leagues who had such an awful approach at this stage of their careers?   It's hard enough to project guys who have great numbers in the minors--lots of them never pan out.  Aren't the odds even longer when you try to project guys who have major warts in their track record?  

Not impressed by either of today's trades.  Very disappointing after the excellent returns we got for Manny and Zach.  Why make a trade just to make a trade?   

All. Of . This.

I give this a D and the Schoop deal a C. If the Intl $ gets them VVM it jumps to  a C, if not, a F.

I just feel as deep as ATL minor league system is and this was the best they could do even with the Intl $$$'s and DoD's salary.

Edited by badmamajama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, that assumes you think Gausman is talented.  I really don't.  

All about changing the coaching and development here, though.

It's pretty hard for non-talented pitchers to put up a 4-WAR season, which is what Gausman has done.  It's disappointing that he hasn't been able to build on that, but it's not all potential with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

It's pretty hard for non-talented pitchers to put up a 4-WAR season, which is what Gausman has done.  It's disappointing that he hasn't been able to build on that, but it's not all potential with him.

Yeah, if it's not all potential with him then I don't understand how in every spring I keep seeing people saying "Well, if this is the year that Gasuman can put it together..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I see a guy who throws hard and that's about it.  Sometimes he has games where he can control his breaking pitches but other times not.  Cracks under the slightest bit of pressure or when something doesn't go his way.  

I see a guy who can throw hard, but it's a flat fastball with not a lot of movement.  First round pick, so I think people were going to be more inclined to try to squint a little harder and see greatness.  

He's going to the NL, probably will be better over there.  

His splitter/change is one of the best offspeed in all of baseball.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=7&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=14,d

He's got more than triple-digit heat.  But of course he'd be an unqualified ace if he got his breaking ball over more.

edit: actually he doesn't need to get it over more, but he needs to be able to throw it where he wants.  Sometimes that means at the batter's shoetops, sometimes that means in the dirt, sometimes that means at the knees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, if it's not all potential with him then I don't understand how in every spring I keep seeing people saying "Well, if this is the year that Gasuman can put it together..."

Probably because they see the changeup and fastball and they think he can be Kershaw.  Which I guess is his unrealized potential.  But that's not exactly realistic either.  Not many people can be Kershaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are Wietersing Gausman. That is, being disappointed in somebody because of original, unrealistic expectations instead of being happy that he was at least productive. 2-4 WAR year in and year out is solid to me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Probably because they see the changeup and fastball and they think he can be Kershaw.  Which I guess is his unrealized potential.  But that's not exactly realistic either.  Not many people can be Kershaw.

Right, but c'mon man.  You're acting like he's a 4 WAR pitcher each year.  He's had only one year with 4 WAR.  1.2, 1.2, 4, 2.0, 2.3 so far this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

People are Wietersing Gausman. That is, being disappointed in somebody because of original, unrealistic expectations instead of being happy that he was at least productive. 2-4 WAR year in and year out is solid to me.

Yep, he is 16th in WAR among all #4 picks. He will likely end up around #11 when all is said and done. Hardly a bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I don’t disagree with anything you said, and I’m grateful you said it. Everyone needs a designated driver. But lemme play devil’s advocate for a moment. This is 60 games. ~12 starts instead of 30. 60 starters instead of 162, and several guys who can start a time or two and not ruin our lives. One trait of greatness is consistency. Over 60, that is less important than over 162. Our starters and our pen appear much superior to the last couple years. Not enough to matter in 162 because the long season takes a toll, And quality-or lack thereof- finds its level, but in 60 games? Sure. And remember the short season doesn’t help the best, because the best doesn’t need the benefits a short season offers. The defense is much better too, unless Nunez is playing third, anyway. so yes I agree with you, but it’s not out of the question.  
    • This was a nice read.  And that's not sarcasm.
    • No qualifying offers this season.
    • If Stroman gets a qualifying offer he would cost the O's their third pick (either the comp pick after round 2 or, if that pick is traded, their third round pick). Jake Odorizzi got a QO this off-season at the same age as Stroman with a less successful career to date. I think it is quite likely that Stroman gets one too.
    • I appreciate Wildcards's enthusiasm and optimism. This season is such a wildcard because of all the variables that really anything could happen and I wouldn't be overly surprised. Saying that, there is no reality where this is the beginning of a sustainable winning core.  There is just as much of a chance of this team losing ten straight games as they do of keep playing .500 ball the rest of this season.  As Drungo has point out, there are some guys who have started out this season way above their carer norms. Even if you believe Severino, Ruiz, Alberto and Nunez are breaking out as they enter their primes, does anyone think Cobb, Milone and Wojo are going to keep pitching to their current ERAs? Cobb maybe since it seems his splitter has come back, but I'm not buying long term sustainability on Milone and Hyde has used Wojo right but not letting him go more than twice through an order. 
    • What does that mean? What's the cost of Wildcard's optimism? Also, I don't think what I said constituted being negative.  That's an honest appraisal of the team.    Not much of what we are seeing looks sustainable.
    • Yea I don’t know that I buy they will spend what it takes but they have very little money committed long term and that is when you can take advantage of it.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...