Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 8/11/2018 at 01:24

The more I look at this trade the more I don’t like it.  We really need to get something good with that international slot money.  The headliner here really worries me.  Too many strikeouts and no walks. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Keith Law really isn’t impressed. 

This could easily end up a lot of nothing for Baltimore in exchange for a pitcher who was once the fourth overall pick in the draft, has two years of control remaining, and still has all of the raw ingredients required to be a top-end starter or, at worst, a really good reliever.

Jean Carlos Encarnacion is the one significant prospect in this trade, and even he is quite flawed, a 20-year-old who has drawn 12 unintentional walks against 100 strikeouts in 379 PA for low-A Rome this year. The third baseman has arm strength and projection in the body, with potential plus raw power to come, but I can't think of a prospect who struggled this badly with plate discipline and wasn't super young for his level who panned out

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24246659/kevin-gausman-blossom-braves-deal-orioles

Agree with this. Poor return for Gausman. They must really want Mesa bad. Is there anyone else left in the international scene the O's could sign?

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

B, but this trade has more upside than the Schoop trade depending on what we do with the essentially $12 million in cash we get.  I like the makeup of 3 of the prospects too (not Encarnacion)

Encarnacion is supposed to be the high ceiling guy though.  

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Encarnacion is supposed to be the high ceiling guy though.  

Yeah just think his K/BB is a big red flag. Other guys may never be stars but could be useful MLers

1 minute ago, Slappy said:

Yeah just think his K/BB is a big red flag. Other guys may never be stars but could be useful MLers

Yeah but those kind of players you can sign as free agents for pretty cheap. Not trade your #2 SP for. 

3 minutes ago, Slappy said:

I like Zimmerman. 

I don't like the fact that this trade package is contingent on our ability to get Mesa, and for me it is.  We are dependent on MLB (which has no interest in doing us any favors) to make Mesa available this year, and we are hoping we can outspend the Yankees with the new slot money.  After a trade, I'd much rather look at what we've received and say "I like what we've got" instead of "This is good as long as..."

Just now, Gofannon said:

I don't like the fact that this trade package is contingent on our ability to get Mesa, and for me it is.  We are dependent on MLB (which has no interest in doing us any favors) to make Mesa available this year, and we are hoping we can outspend the Yankees with the new slot money.  After a trade, I'd much rather look at what we've received and say "I like what we've got" instead of "This is good as long as..."

1- I don't think MLB can delay VVM for 11 months.  I also don't think he's important enough for them to try.

2- The O's can certainly outspend the Yankees.  Looks like they have more than a 2-1 advantage.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- I don't think MLB can delay VVM for 11 months.  I also don't think he's important enough for them to try.

2- The O's can certainly outspend the Yankees.  Looks like they have more than a 2-1 advantage.

What was the likelihood of getting Mesa before this trade?  What about now?  If we don't get Mesa, is this trade a lot worse than it is now?  Genuinely want to know thoughts about this.

I think most people saw this haul this morning, they wouldn't be pleased.  We had to trade Machado and Britton, and we didn't have to trade Gausman and Schoop.  These trades had to be clear-cut wins, and they just aren't.  In part, it's because the prospects we got today are less finished or polished, and will be lower on our prospect list than the guys we got for rentals (admittedly, Machado's sort of the ultimate rental, so it's tough to compare these packages with what we got for him).

You guys are seriously overrating Gausman. He has great stuff but he has been a big disappointment. He has 1.3 fWAR this year, #49 in MLB, same range as Derek Holland, James Shields, Godley, Boyd etc. Not bad, but not great. These are not hard pitchers to find. I don't like that we threw O'Day in there, but maybe the Braves weren't putting any of their elite prospects on the table. We could try to hold Gausman, but for what purpose?

What if we keep him and he gets TJ next year? Have we learned nothing from Britton?

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You guys are seriously overrating Gausman. He has great stuff but he has been a big disappointment. He has 1.3 fWAR this year, #49 in MLB, same range as Derek Holland, James Shields, Godley, Boyd etc. Not bad, but not great. These are not hard pitchers to find. I don't like that we threw O'Day in there, but maybe the Braves weren't putting any of their elite prospects on the table. We could try to hold Gausman, but for what purpose?

What if we keep him and he gets TJ next year? Have we learned nothing from Britton?

I think O'Day was not value added. I think O'Day cost you a prospect. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, weams said:

I think O'Day was not value added. I think O'Day cost you a prospect. 

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't like that O'Day was included in the deal if we could have done better. However, we don't know that any better prospects were offered. It's possible Atlanta said "we'll give you Encarnacion and that's as high as we're going to go." Then DD said, "If you can't come up with a better prospect, you're going to have to help me with salary."