Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 8/11/2018 at 01:24

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't like that O'Day was included in the deal if we could have done better. However, we don't know that any better prospects were offered. It's possible Atlanta said "we'll give you Encarnacion and that's as high as we're going to go." Then DD said, "If you can't come up with a better prospect, you're going to have to help me with salary."

If we got the extra prospect by not throwing in O'Days salary then we wouldn't have gotten the 2.5 M for I bonus

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't like that O'Day was included in the deal if we could have done better. However, we don't know that any better prospects were offered. It's possible Atlanta said "we'll give you Encarnacion and that's as high as we're going to go." Then DD said, "If you can't come up with a better prospect, you're going to have to help me with salary."

I misunderstood. 

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If we got the extra prospect by not throwing in O'Days salary then we wouldn't have gotten the 2.5 M for I bonus

The bonus money for Atlanta was really useless though.

Anthopolis said that Braves saw a couple of things with Gausman they would like to change and hope to get better results.  May be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The bonus money for Atlanta was really useless though.

Given that NYY received around 2.75 million in bonus money, it’s possible that they forced our hand there if we are serious about VVM. (And I’d like to think that we are.) There’s a moderate chance that a player will take the Yankees offer -300k or so, but if the difference is closer to 1-1.5 million this is much less likely.

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Anthopolis said that Braves saw a couple of things with Gausman they would like to change and hope to get better results.  May be interesting. 

I’ll be ticked if he becomes Cy Gausman, but not surprised.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ll be ticked if he becomes Cy Gausman, but not surprised.

Let's see if Duquette's newfound autonomy extends to overhauling scouting and development.

45 minutes ago, weams said:

I think O'Day was not value added. I think O'Day cost you a prospect. 

It’s not like his salary is that outrageous.  Just keep O’Day on the club if would have sweetened the pot.

Plus O’Day could be decent next year.  We’re not talking about Ubaldo or Davis.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s not like his salary is that outrageous.  Just keep O’Day on the club if would have sweetened the pot.

Plus O’Day could be decent next year.  We’re not talking about Ubaldo or Davis.

I don't think you understand. The idea is not to be decent next year.  It was about saving the money. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, weams said:

OK fine.  Great even, but this will have to be explained to me.  Is Nightengale trolling?

Just now, weams said:

I don't think you understand. The idea is not to be decent next year.  It was about saving the money. 

Ok but prospects matter too and it’s not like there are going to be ton of games for O’Day to protect the lead.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok but prospects matter too and it’s not like there are going to be ton of games for O’Day to protect the lead.

True. Yes. 

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm willing to bet one of the other teams offered a better prospect return, but shipping off O'Day's contact held a significant value to the Orioles. We'll see how useful the extra 2.5M in international money is, but they likely wanted some to make sure they stayed comfortably in the driver's seat for VVM.