Frobby

Grade the Schoop Deal

Grade the Schoop Deal  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Schoop Deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 8/11/2018 at 01:26

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

This stinks. They could've built the franchise around him and re-signed him next year.I think we will be an unwatchable team for another 5 years.

Disagree.  I think 2019 will be horrible, 2020 will start showing returns and the team will be competitive in 2021.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Slappy said:

It was a fair deal.  No clear winner.  We probably got max value, offseason deals don’t tend to net as much.  I rated it B

Brewers fans don't like the trade much either, they already had a 2nd baseman and don't really have a good spot for him. Trade made little sense for both teams. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think both are talented...I think Schoop is an elite talent. Or was. We no longer have him.

I respectfully disagree. He's a good player, but he has flaws. Limited range, terrible plate discipline, etc. He's certainly not someone I would call "elite). 

I keep seeing folks describing this as “Orioles choose to trade Schoop rather than sign him long term” — but what’s stopping them from pursuing Schoop in FA after the 2019 season?

You could sign him now (or just keep him without signing him), and you get his production the rest of the season and next season. But what is that worth? We’re terrible this year and will surely be terrible next year. Would be a total waste, for him and for us. And it would open us up to the risk of a bad contract if Schoop ends up being more the 2018 version than the 2017 in the long term.

Instead, we got a couple very talented youngsters and a 27-year-old MI who was nearly an All-Star two seasons ago. If Villar bounces back to that level, he could bring back a significant package himself. And the two kids both have the upside to be big contributors. So that’s a lot in return for giving up that 2018 and 2019 production we really don’t have much use for. 

And then he’s an FA, and we’ll have a shot to sign him then just like everyone else. A mid-market Milwaukee team with Hiura and Shaw at 2B and 3B doesn’t seem a very likely candidate to offer him a big extension to keep him from FA. Not to be a 29 year old, 230 pound SS. And the O’s should have plenty of payroll flexibility at that point, so they could certainly be real players for a guy like Jonathan — he won’t be like Manny, where the price is just assuredly going to be too rich for our blood.

So if it does turn out that he’d be a perfect fit for the Orioles as they move toward contending again — why can’t he still be? Just with a couple valuable prospects (or more) in the system in addition to him...

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

There is ABSOLUTELY no way we try and re-sign after he becomes a FA. On top of that, I think Schoop was a bit hurt by the fact that the Orioles never had discussions with his agent for possibly re-upping. He's gone. I think it was a very poor trade..but I guess we will find out.

Depends on how good we are at that point.. much crazier things happened

Very generously a C.

We tried to do too much with this trade and didn't do anything particularly well.

For instance, if they were going to salary dump someone, I'd rather they dump Trumbo who is blocking Mullins and Stewart.  

None of the prospects are exciting and it's unlikely they will be useful MLB pieces.

The bonus money gives us a chance at signing VVM.  But that's all it is -- a chance.  And since we're going up against NYY, I still give us less than 50-50 odds due to their prestige factor, even if we do have slightly more money than them to spend.  

2 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Very generously a C.

We tried to do too much with this trade and didn't do anything particularly well.

For instance, if they were going to salary dump someone, I'd rather they dump Trumbo who is blocking Mullins and Stewart.  

None of the prospects are exciting and it's unlikely they will be useful MLB pieces.

The bonus money gives us a chance at signing VVM.  But that's all it is -- a chance.  And since we're going up against NYY, I still give us less than 50-50 odds due to their prestige factor, even if we do have slightly more money than them to spend.  

First off Trumbo isn't blocking Stewart and Mullins, Mancini is.

Secondly I'm guessing the Braves go into camp expecting O'Day to be a part of the 2019 team.

For those who aren't insiders here are the relevant quotes:

"The Orioles got back one of the best prospects they've acquired this month in this deal, right-hander Luis Ortiz, a former first-round pick of the Rangers who has now been traded twice since he was drafted in 2014. Ortiz is a strike-thrower with a power arm, throwing up to 94-95 mph with fastball and complemented with a plus changeup and fringy breaking ball. He has allowed just 91 unintentional walks in 323⅓ career pro innings, and was posting a strong 6.3 percent walk rate in Double-A Biloxi this year."

"If he can handle the workload, he's a No. 4 starter with a chance to be a good No. 3. Of all of the prospects they've gotten this month, only Yusniel Diaz would rank over Ortiz right now in the Orioles' system."

I will say Law wasn't very impressed with the Gausman trade for us but didn't deride as much as he has other trades (although he did throw i a jab about how the O'day contract was stupid in the first place). I maintain as long as the Os use this int'l money to really make a splash then this trade was worth it. We shall see

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

My opinion is Schoop is young enough for a re-build and just one year removed from being an All STAR. I think we choked on this trade.I don't know if there was a better deal...Schoop didn't have to be dealt though...

I’m actually hoping that we don’t build around ‘stars’ with career .300 OBP’s. 

You’re overvaluing Schoop, and he’s probably peaked...