Yardball85

Tillman to Texas

15 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Just to put things in perspective: 

According to statistical data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the top 1% had an adjusted gross income of $465,626 or higher for the 2014 tax year. The Washington Center for Equitable Growth put the average household income for this group at $1,260,508 for 2014.Sep 15, 2016

So the MLB minimum puts you in the top 1%

You figure 20% goes to your agent and manager and whatever other semi-required staff.  So MLB minimum doesn't quite put you in the top 1% after factoring that.  But it's pretty close.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

You figure 20% goes to your agent and manager and whatever other semi-required staff.  So MLB minimum doesn't quite put you in the top 1% after factoring that.  But it's pretty close.

What do you need an agent for if you are making the league minimum?

Just pay a lawyer an hourly rate to do the paperwork.

16 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Wealthy non ballplayers have agents brokers, and accountants and all sorts of business expenses that come out of their income too.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do you need an agent for if you are making the league minimum?

Just pay a lawyer an hourly rate to do the paperwork.

Just speculating, but it might be even more important if you're making league minimum, since it probably takes a bit of work for your agent to find your next job after you get DFA'd. If your Bryce Harper, why not just post an eBay link and let teams bid? 

58 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Agents don't get close to 20% on playing contracts....maybe 3-5%.  Now their endorsement contracts will get agents 10+%

3 minutes ago, NATTYBO's said:

Agents don't get close to 20% on playing contracts....maybe 3-5%.  Now their endorsement contracts will get agents 10+%

That sounds about right. Most agents and talent managers have sliding scales for the various sources of income. 

I thought I read once that MLB agents don’t take a commission on a player salary until it’s above the league minimum and they actually negotiate something. Not sure if that still applies, but it would make sense.

1 hour ago, 99ct said:

Just saying, that was pretty obvious. For every 100 jobs out there, I can't think of many that are more lucrative the professional athlete. 

The professional athlete who makes the big time.   Playing in the minors isn’t lucrative, and there are  at least 6 of those guys for every player playing in the majors.    As weams likes to say, the major leaguers are the 750 who are the best in the world at what they do.

30 minutes ago, NATTYBO's said:

I was assuming typical entertainers' scale which is around 8-10% for agents and similar percentage for managers.  You probably don't need both if you're pre-arb unless you're pre-arb Machado or Ronald Acuna.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Wealthy non ballplayers have agents brokers, and accountants and all sorts of business expenses that come out of their income too.

Sure... however, I draw the line with expenses that most professions don't have to deal with.  Agent/manager fees I believe are pretty unique to entertainers/ballplayers.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I was assuming typical entertainers' scale which is around 8-10% for agents and similar percentage for managers.  You probably don't need both if you're pre-arb unless you're pre-arb Machado or Ronald Acuna.

Have to get those endorsements!

51n+wDHkUNL.jpg

29 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Sure... however, I draw the line with expenses that most professions don't have to deal with.  Agent/manager fees I believe are pretty unique to entertainers/ballplayers.

I wonder if I could increase my salary by hiring an agent. How do you think that would work out? When I refuse to perform work until I get a pay raise :D

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The professional athlete who makes the big time.   Playing in the minors isn’t lucrative, and there are  at least 6 of those guys for every player playing in the majors.    As weams likes to say, the major leaguers are the 750 who are the best in the world at what they do.

Yeah, true, and in a way, by earning non-lucrative salaries, the minor leaguers are just helping to bring down the average salary (and thus, relatively speaking, helping to push the MLBers into the top 1%). 

Tillman pitched one final game for Round Rock last week, allowing 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in 4 IP.   Overall, he pitched a total of 9 innings for Round Rock and had an ERA of 9.00 and 2.11 WHIP.

It will be interesting to see if anyone signs him to a MiL deal for next season.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman pitched one final game for Round Rock last week, allowing 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in 4 IP.   Overall, he pitched a total of 9 innings for Round Rock and had an ERA of 9.00 and 2.11 WHIP.

It will be interesting to see if anyone signs him to a MiL deal for next season.  

It's gotten to be where I cringe when I see this thread bumped.  He may struggle to even get a ST invite next year, let alone a MiL contract.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:41 PM, NATTYBO's said:

Generally, a sports agent earns between 4 and 10 percent of an athlete's playing contract, though some leagues place limits on what percentage an agent can charge in commission. For example, the National Football League states that an agent can't receive more than 3 percent of player salaries.Jun 28, 2018