Jump to content
Greg Pappas

Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe the trade deadline was affecting him?  He’s been on fire since he knew he was staying put. 

The ship has sailed, but I think we should’ve claimed Galvis off waivers. He mashes against the Orioles.

Right now we’re looking at Ruiz/Peterson, Villar, Alberto in the IF next year. 

He's been a solid 2 WAR guy all season. He's gotten hot enough to maybe hit 3 WAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, wildcard said:

 Hanser's arm is not strong at 3B.  Its better used at 2B.    He can backup a 3B but I don't think it should be where he gets most of his playing time.

From what I have read his shoulder surgery in 2017 cost him some arm strength.

Alberto’s defense is bad everywhere. He’s only playable if he continues to hit like he has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He's been a solid 2 WAR guy all season. He's gotten hot enough to maybe hit 3 WAR.

Considering he’s at 2.8 rWAR right now, I’d say 3 WAR is more likely than not.    He just needs to avoid a deep slump.    He’s on pace for 3.5.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Considering he’s at 2.8 rWAR right now, I’d say 3 WAR is more likely than not.    He just needs to avoid a deep slump.    He’s on pace for 3.5.   

And yet no one wanted him at the deadline. That’s a genuine conundrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Philip said:

And yet no one wanted him at the deadline. That’s a genuine conundrum.

We don’t know that nobody wanted him.   We know nobody offered something that Elias wanted to take.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

We don’t know that nobody wanted him.   We know nobody offered something that Elias wanted to take.   

Yes I suppose that’s my basic point, but I also think it is probable that Mike did not over value him. I don’t think he put an unreasonably high value on him, and what he was wanting in return was reasonable. I don’t know what reasonable is, but I think it is more likely that no one was interested rather than people were interested and the price was too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I suppose that’s my basic point, but I also think it is probable that Mike did not over value him. I don’t think he put an unreasonably high value on him, and what he was wanting in return was reasonable. I don’t know what reasonable is, but I think it is more likely that no one was interested rather than people were interested and the price was too high.

I would think what Mike wanted for Villar was someone that with a decent chance of helping the O's when they are contenders and to assume the rest of Villar contract for this season.   A decent prospect.  And I don't think he was offered that or he would have made the deal IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would think what Mike wanted for Villar was someone that with a decent chance of helping the O's when they are contenders and to assume the rest of Villar contract for this season.   A decent prospect.  And I don't think he was offered that or he would have made the deal IMO.

Yes I think that’s entirely likely. That’s reasonable and nobody was interested.

villar drives me nuts but he is still a solid player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villar now has been worth almost twice as much WAR as Mancini this year. Despite the weaknesses, he’s really been the Orioles best position player this year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I would think what Mike wanted for Villar was someone that with a decent chance of helping the O's when they are contenders and to assume the rest of Villar contract for this season.   A decent prospect.  And I don't think he was offered that or he would have made the deal IMO.

Sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philip said:

And yet no one wanted him at the deadline. That’s a genuine conundrum.

None of the contending teams wanted him. Unfortunately at least one of the best fits for him (Texas) collapsed just before the deadline.  I think we could see some interest in the off-season. I would be surprised if he is non tendered. Can anyone think of comparable 3+ WAR players to get non tendered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

None of the contending teams wanted him. Unfortunately at least one of the best fits for him (Texas) collapsed just before the deadline.  I think we could see some interest in the off-season. I would be surprised if he is non tendered. Can anyone think of comparable 3+ WAR players to get non tendered?

He was never getting nontendered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

None of the contending teams wanted him. Unfortunately at least one of the best fits for him (Texas) collapsed just before the deadline.  I think we could see some interest in the off-season. I would be surprised if he is non tendered. Can anyone think of comparable 3+ WAR players to get non tendered?

Earlier in the summer, I did not think he would be tender to contract, but now I think he will be. I’m not sure anybody wants him. He will certainly The more expensive once he is tendered because then the new team would be responsible for his arbitration raise. So it’s pretty likely that he’ll stay with us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Not saying it isn't, but AAA will be the first year we assume he will be using the MLB ball if AAA in 2020 will still be using the same balls. I'm glad Wells continues to beat expectations at every level but being a soft tosser still concerns me and probably always will. Wonder how many innings they give him with the big league club next year in spring training before they option him out to minor league camp?
    • I don't think Preston is giving enough of an adjustment because of weather conditions.  MVP candidate Russell Wilson played worse, against a statistically worse pass defense.
    • I agree. But it's been interesting to me to meet Y fans who found him so annoying that they're glad to be rid of him. They usually cite the fact that he made so many pitching changes and slowed the game down so much it became boring to them.
    • Something similar happened to me and another O's fan visiting from Vegas at the first 2012 playoff game at Yankee Stadium (the one in which Flaherty and Manny hit homers, Adam misplayed Jeter's fly into a RBI-triple, and Ibanez hit the game-tying and -winning homers in the 9th and 12th innings off of Jim Johnson and Matusz after Miguel Gonzalez had pitched his typically Yankee-killer gem). Beer wasn't thrown on us (we were in the bleachers and those fans wd never waste their Bud Light mead)--just the empty blue plastic bottles. We needed a two-officer escort from the water fountain all the way down the ramps. They also mocked my race. The other fan was a young white man and had flown in to bet on the game, and lost. There was a nice Canadian woman behind us who said she was rooting for the Y's, but hated Yankee fans.... I have some some cool photos. Nonetheless, I loved that season and series.
    • This is what he had to say: Lamar Jackson struggled passing most of the game and it appears that the league has figured out how to take away some of his easy throws. He threw behind and low to a lot of receivers. As usual, he remains the team’s top offensive weapon with his legs. Jackson isn’t a complete quarterback yet, but he can make big plays from anywhere on the field. Grade: C+ ————————————————————————- Honestly he’s pretty accurate. 
    • https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/10/ravens-pernell-mcphee-suffers-triceps-tear   I think they have to make a move now. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...