Greg Pappas

Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

been a baseball fan a long time. baseball is always changing but a 20-20 season has never been just some hot streak.

-mark

49 minutes ago, markeubanks said:

been a baseball fan a long time. baseball is always changing but a 20-20 season has never been just some hot streak.

-mark

I’m not really referring to the 20-20 part.    I wouldn’t be surprised if Villar does that once or twice in the future.    But he’s a .737 OPS career hitter, currently at .811 (before today) which is the highest he’s been since April 15 and 98 points higher than he was a month ago.    I don’t expect him to be an .810 OPS guy going forward.    I don’t think any team trading for him would expect that either.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not really referring to the 20-20 part.    I wouldn’t be surprised if Villar does that once or twice in the future.    But he’s a .737 OPS career hitter, currently at .811 (before today) which is the highest he’s been since April 15 and 98 points higher than he was a month ago.    I don’t expect him to be an .810 OPS guy going forward.    I don’t think any team trading for him would expect that either.   

.770 OPS in OPACY for his career in 435 PA. He likes hitting here. 

Jonathan Villar's wOBA in the 30 day time period between July 26 and August 24th was .477, the highest of any Oriole over any 30-day period so far this season (with a minimum of 50PA). This wOBA was ranked 7th across both leagues during that time.

He hit .381/.476/.686/1.162 over 124PAs, with 7 home runs, 8 stolen bases, and a 204 wRC+.

Villar racked up 2.1 fWAR during the stretch, which was tops in baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

o

This was Villar's first home run in  2 and-a-half weeks.

(vs. DODGERS, 9/11)

NUMBER 21

JONATHAN RAFAEL VILLAROQUE

o

Villar’s homer broke the MLB record for most total homers in a year by all of MLB combined.   Historic, and fitting that the record was broken on a 450-footer by a second baseman!

I’ve to say, Villar and Alberto could well make for a fun, intriguing (and, dare I say, semi-potent) 1-2 punch atop the lineup for ’20. I’ll be curious to see where they wind up in the order next year (if Villar stays, which I see no reason to believe that he won’t).

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Villar’s homer broke the MLB record for most total homers in a year by all of MLB combined.   Historic, and fitting that the record was broken on a 450-footer by a second baseman!

It's nice to set an offensive HR record this year too...

edit:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-sets-single-season-home-run-record

Villars bat is headed to the HOF.

2 hours ago, Win Column said:

I’ve to say, Villar and Alberto could well make for a fun, intriguing (and, dare I say, semi-potent) 1-2 punch atop the lineup for ’20. I’ll be curious to see where they wind up in the order next year (if Villar stays, which I see no reason to believe that he won’t).

They are indeed fun, but the problem is Alberto's performance against RHP. He has an extreme .626 / 1.002 split. I didn't realize until now how much Hyde has actually protected him from RHP: Hanser has only 281 plate appearances vs. 207 against LHP, which is, of course, far lower than the general ratio of RHP/LHP that any team faces. (Mancini, for example, is at a nearly 2:1 ratio of 398/200 and has done well against both.)

o

This was Villar's 3rd home run in  a 1-week span (September 11th through September 18th.)

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

NUMBER 23

o

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Frobby said:

I do not expect Villar to replicate 2019.   To be clear, Villar’s OPS stood at .713 as recently as July 24.    I’m glad he’s had a very hot month, but I don’t mistake a month-long hot streak for some fundamental change in Villar’s skill set.    And I happen to like his normal skill set just fine.   

To be fair, he's had a better season at the plate previously (2016).

I think it may re-highlight his normal skill set as you call it and get a few teams interested this offseason.  Particularly a contending NL team looking for a 2-3 win, 2B/SS that can provide additional value as a bench bat/PR.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Frobby said:

9 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

To be fair, he's had a better season at the plate previously (2016).

I think it may re-highlight his normal skill set as you call it and get a few teams interested this offseason.  Particularly a contending NL team looking for a 2-3 win, 2B/SS that can provide additional value as a bench bat/PR.

To be clear, I’m not saying Villar can’t replicate this season, just that I wouldn’t expect him to.   I wouldn’t base my plan or decision to trade or keep him based on that expectation.