Trace21230

Tired of Trembley's Quick Hook

Reminds me a lot of Sam Perlozzo and slavish devotion to pitching "roles."

Classic case is tonight--Guthrie at 101 pitches at the end of seven. His seventh inning was two Ks and a popup.

And what does Trembley do? Yanks Guthrie. :angryfire:

• Upvote 2

Consider this:

Heading into tonight, here's what the league is doing against Guthrie after 100 pitches.

.367/.457/.633 (1.090 OPS)

• Upvote 1

Guthrie has always struggled once going over 100 pitches, so I see no problem w/ it.

Really? Has Trembley ever allowed Guthrie to pitch over 100 pitches? How are we supposed to build his endurance to over 100 pitches if he's never left in?

Really? Has Trembley ever allowed Guthrie to pitch over 100 pitches? How are we supposed to build his endurance to over 100 pitches if he's never left in?

He's done it several times this season, and pretty much every time, it has come back to haunt him. It was absolutely the right move to take out Guthrie. That's the part of the game where he typically gets tired.

Consider this:

Heading into tonight, here's what the league is doing against Guthrie after 100 pitches.

.367/.457/.633 (1.090 OPS)

Well, those are scary numbers but I think at some point Trembley has to trust his starters beyond 100 pitches or bullpen burnout is going to continue to be a huge problem.

Yeah, it seems like everyone's always complaining that the bullpen is overworked and tired and on the brink of implosion...this seems to me to be a good night to let Guthrie have a go at it and try to give the bullpen a full night off before heading into Fenway.

Yes, Guthrie has thrown 100 or more 23 times in his Orioles career.

In fact, he threw 116 in his last start. He's thrown as many as 120.

Look at it like this, the Orioles got good mileage out of a guy with an injury history last season - to the tune of a professional high in innings pitched. Barring injury, he'll work even more this season.

Yeah, it seems like everyone's always complaining that the bullpen is overworked and tired and on the brink of implosion...this seems to me to be a good night to let Guthrie have a go at it and try to give the bullpen a full night off before heading into Fenway.

Maybe you'll get a snotty response from vatech as well. It's not just Guthrie who Trembley yanks too early, either. So there was no need to conduct a cybermetric statistical analysis.

Observation and commentary is just as valuable as statistical gobbledigook.

• Downvote 2

Maybe you'll get a snotty response from vatech as well. It's not just Guthrie who Trembley yanks too early, either. So there was no need to conduct a cybermetric statistical analysis.

I would be honored.

Except when the numbers just totally blow the validity of the observation out of the water, leaving no survivors.

I would be honored.

LOL, I suppose I am too.

It's been very frustrating watching this team the past two weeks. I guess I was spoiled in April May and June.

As we speak, Sherrill is about to blow another save.

Except when the numbers just totally blow the validity of the observation out of the water, leaving no survivors.

Really, those numbers don't tell us what Guthrie would have done if he had been left in to pitch the 8th inning. Not at all.

Except for when the statistics turn the observation into gobbledigook, though.

Like looking at what has happened in the past when he has gone over that pitch milestone.

If Trembley left him in and it started a rally, you would probably be roasting Trembley over the coals for it.

And Trembley's quick hook costs Guthrie and he Orioles another win. Thanks Dave and George.

For all the statistical gurus, what's Sherrill's blown save percentage? We finally get 7 strong innings and go to our bullpen? OUR BULLPEN? Have you statistical folks been WATCHING this team for the last few weeks? HOW MANY GAMES HAS THE BULLPEN COST US LATELY?

Oh, my bad. I didn't check baseball digest before commenting on what's painfully obvious to anyone watching the games. My bad.

• Downvote 1