Trace21230

Tired of Trembley's Quick Hook

Absolutely, you shut it down mentally. WHen that guy comes in in the bottom of the inning and you shake his hand, tell him good job and his night is over you don't go back 5 min later and tell him oh go get em killer.

Especially considering shortly after saying "You're done" the pitcher will put his arm in ice. Pitching after icing the arm, well, that's not good.

managers shouldnt change their minds when they make a decision they should stick with it. When managers or people in general start changing their minds thats when they get into trouble. you have to have confidence in your decisions otherwise you will not get anything done

Get you head outta ur butt! We're being inconsisent and we're full of bs! The correct thing to do is tell a guy after 7 innings when we have his replacement ready is to tell him, "Stay ready if we score a few more runs you're going back in, otherwise you're done/" That's how your consistent. Don't you know anything?

I shouldn't have to add this but to soothe fears, I'm being sarcastic.

Again, i am not saying DT lost us this game by any means....I understand the decision to go to JJ...I am just saying that when we got the 3 run lead, DT should have altered his thinking and stuck with Guthrie.

This is the most cheapest, lamest, cop-out you've ever produced. EitherGuts is the best best to get the next 3 outs or he isn't. Jeremy, I trust you with a 3 run lead- but not a one run lead. That would go over real well. If you'd ever picked up a baseball in your life you'd know that's not how the game operates.

• Upvote 1

While I was watching the game, I was actually hoping that Guthrie would at least start the 8th. This was my reasoning:

1. Guthrie looked very strong in the 7th inning.

2. With Burres and Liz starting the next two games, it's very likely that the BP will be needed early and often.

3. The earliest that Guthrie would make his next start would be next Thursday, which would mean that he would have an extra day's rest.

4. Although JJ and Sherrill were rested (well, JJ had 1 offday, if that's considered rest), I think that they might still be worn down from their use over the season. So an extra day's rest still could be beneficial.

5. We had a 3 run lead, so there was a bit of wiggle room.

6. Although Guthrie was over 100 pitches, he was at 101, not 110.

However, without talking to Guthrie, it's all speculative. Maybe he was gassed and told DT as much, or maybe he looked so strong in the 7th because he was told that it would be his last inning and he emptied his tank.

I had the same feeling on Tuesday when Trembley gave Cabrera the early hook with a 6-2 lead. I knew we'd lose that game and I knew we'd lose tonight's game.

This is a familiar feeling.

Early hook last Tuesday with Cabrera? Do you mean the same game where Cabrera comes out to start the 7th to face the Blue Jays 7-8-9 hitter and the following occurs.

1 - Barajas hits a line drive single to deep CF.

2 - Overbay flys out to deep LF.

3 - Lind hits line drive single to deep CF.

This is the most cheapest, lamest, cop-out you've ever produced. EitherGuts is the best best to get the next 3 outs or he isn't. Jeremy, I trust you with a 3 run lead- but not a one run lead. That would go over real well. If you'd ever picked up a baseball in your life you'd know that's not how the game operates.

With a one run lead, with his homer tendanices, with him getting ready to face the linuep for the 4th time, sending him out there would have been wrong.

With a 3 run lead, facing the bottom of the order at first, it would have been fine to send him out there.

It is pretty obvious that you are more clueless than I thought...You can't figure out the difference between a 1 and 3 run lead...Just go back under your bridge troll.

I think we should all just chill and admit that the decision to pull Guthrie in this game was a close call, not a no-brainer either way. DT made a call, and it didn't work out. If he'd left Guthrie in, maybe that woudn't have worked out, either.

Reasons to leave Guthrie in:

1. At 101 pitches, he could have at least gone after a batter or two. He always could have been pulled if he didn't get a quick out.

2. He had a pretty strong 7th inning, 2 K's and a pop-out.

3. He deserved the opportunity to protect his own lead.

4. JJ hasn't pitched that well lately, and may be getting run down from overwork.

Reasons to take him out:

1. Guthrie has faltered around 100 pitches several times.

2. The last batter in the 7th had a very long AB that may have tired him out.

3. JJ had not pitched the day before and so he was fresh.

4. JJ has done a great job this year in general.

5. JJ pitched very well on Tuesday but was let down by his defense.

Like I said, borderline call.

There goes Frobby- injecting calm, reason, and common sense into the thread.

I don't get the militant arguing over the pitching change. Neither side can "prove" their case until MLB institutes a mulligan rule. It really is a silly argument.

It is almost NEVER a slam dunk decision.

It is almost always debatable whether the manager should take a pitcher out or not, especially his best pitcher.

The fact that he reached 100 pitches is a factor. But, there is always room for a manager to go with a gut instinct or hunch rather than strictly a stat sheet.

My *gut* told me to stick with Guthrie last night. My gut is often right! But, it is also wrong often......

It is pretty obvious that you are more clueless than I thought...You can't figure out the difference between a 1 and 3 run lead...Just go back under your bridge troll.

Whoa dude. That's a bit over the line.

Whoa dude. That's a bit over the line.

Not if you paid attention to how he posts and how most of his posts are in response to one of mine...He is a clear troll and really brings nothing to the board.

Not if you paid attention to how he posts and how most of his posts are in response to one of mine...He is a clear troll and really brings nothing to the board.

Yeah, but you should like, go through channels or whatever. I know whenever I call someone clueless and a troll I usually get a stern talking to.

Yeah, but you should like, go through channels or whatever. I know whenever I call someone clueless and a troll I usually get a stern talking to.

And I will too. :D

Consider this:

Heading into tonight, here's what the league is doing against Guthrie after 100 pitches.

.367/.457/.633 (1.090 OPS)

This right here plus the fact that Johnson and Sherrill were rested should have put an end to this silly argument.

Johnson and Sherrill have struggled of late, no doubt, but Trembley went with the horses that got him here and put them in the proper situations for them. They just didn't execute properly.

I think people are reaching a bit by blaming Trembley. Can you build a case for why Guthrie should have gone back out there? Sure. But there's no reason to suggest that how Trembley managed last night was not reasonable.

I think this club needs its starting pitchers to pitch much deeper into games.

That includes Guthrie. He needs to find a way to pitch 8-9 innnings and

come away with a win when the offense has put 5 runs on the board. All the

starting pitchers need to build arm strength, stamina, moxy, whatever it takes. If they lose a few games but keep building toward being able to complete games, so be it. I disagree with the whole 7th inning guy,

8th inning guy premise. It sets the bar too low!

• Upvote 1