terpoh

Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

Someone on the game thread posted that he was something like top 10 in MLB running the bases per Statcast. On that triple, I think Mancini was surprised that to see Mullins show up anywhere in the vicinity. Hopefully he gets out of the way next time and Mullins catches that ball.

Let's just agree that the comment on Mullins' intelligence was not racist, but with a history of racism in this country, comments that are complimentary of black athletes can be perceived that way. Malike said how he perceived it from his perspective while keeping it civil. I'm okay with that as well as the responses.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, Jones deleted that tweet telling the Orioles twitter to change their tone.

You actually have a much better feel for his personality than I do -  any chance he was just trying to be funny in an over-the-top kind of way?  The deliberate channeling of Kanye West and the DJango Unchained gif seemed pretty funny - especially in light of his later tweet.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Look, I get why you might be sensitive here.    But wilbillhiccup paid the guy several compliments in his first post.    You asked why he’d call Mullins articulate.    He then explained why he said it.    You then called that “backpedaling.”    But now you say it was an honest question.   Why isn’t the answer honest?

I didn’t see the Mullins interview, but I’d say most athletes are not articulate.   My favorite player of the last 15 years, Nick Markakis, wasn’t articulate at all.   So when a rookie gets up in front of a camera the day he’s called up, and makes a good impression, I don’t see veiled racism in calling him articulate.    

I just did a search for the word “articulate” on this site.    Prior to Mullins, the last 10 guys described as articulate (in reverse order) were: Zach Pop, Brady Anderson, Tyler Wilson, John Angelos, Mark Trumbo, Adam Jones, John Angelos (again), John Angelos (3rd time), Mark Teixeira, and Vin Scully.     Now, I will say, I had to go back as far as 2013 to come up with 10 times that adjective has been used to describe someone.    It isn’t used often to describe anyone here.

All of that aside, he looked like it was everything he could do to not bust out smiling. No matter how old I get, it will always give me some happiness seeing a young athlete fulfill their dreams.

It’s been the weakest for Mullins, who’s posted averages of .181, .217, .208 and .220 during his climb up the system. He’s hit .293, .290, .293 and .279 against right-handers.

I've pulled this from Rochs article yesterday evening.

I just don't get why guys continue to try switch hitting if their not any good at it. So Mullins has been just over the Mendoza line in the Minors as a RH hitter.

Why not just better full time from the left side?

@Frobby  @weams      wondering what your thoughts are on this ...also interested in hearing from @Tony-OH @Luke-OH

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

You actually have a much better feel for his personality than I do -  any chance he was just trying to be funny in an over-the-top kind of way?  The deliberate channeling of Kanye West and the DJango Unchained gif seemed pretty funny - especially in light of his later tweet.  

I honestly don't know him that well. My only interaction over the years have been from watching him during interviews in the clubhouse. He's got a unique personality that can be a bit of a box of chocolates, you never really know what you are going to get. I've never really had a small off to the side conversation with him because he's not really one of those guys.

You just impressions from guys. There are guys like Caleb Joseph or Zach Britton who will treat you like a friend, then there are guys that look at the press as something they gotta do. Grant it some of the questions they get asked are ridiculous and or worthless, but they are not the ones that are going to have small talk interviews on the side where you can really get some good feel for them.

I will say this though, I think Jones was just messing around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I just don't get why guys continue to try switch hitting if their not any good at it. So Mullins has been just over the Mendoza line in the Minors as a RH hitter.

@Frobby  @weams      wondering what your thoughts are on this ...also interested in hearing from @Tony-OH @Luke-OH

Normally they don't do this because they feel it will be even worse left on left because they are not used to seeing those breaking balls coming at them. You can have the best swing in the world from one side of the plate but if you aren't used to seeing pitches come at you from that angle it can be very rough. 

Most guys that give up switch hitting still tend to end up platoon guys. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

All of that aside, he looked like it was everything he could do to not bust out smiling. No matter how old I get, it will always give me some happiness seeing a young athlete fulfill their dreams.

Since the first day I saw him in Bowie, I don't think I've ever seen him NOT smiling. Seems like one of the happiest guys in the world when playing baseball.

4 hours ago, sevastras said:

You all are assuming wild bill is white, sounds like micro aggression to me. 🤣 

All joking aside, this is a very well rounded board and I think it is better we all just talk baseball. 

Mullins has done pretty well at AAA but not as well as lower levels. How much of that do you guys think is from the hamstring injury? Also, I don’t get why people insist on staying a switch hitter when they are so much better at one side over the other?

He did very well last night. 

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Yes that would have been nice to see him with a wide smile. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I do think more switch hitters who struggle badly on one side should experiment with dropping switch hitting, but Tony is right that it’s not always that simple, and it’s kind of a last ditch effort IMO.

Mullins has made notable improvements hitting right handed, with actual improvements in mechanics, not just different results. He’ll just be like most MLB players who hit better against RH.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, amdcpus said:

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. He gave him a compliment and you have to make it about race, which he wasn't talking about at all. Let's just appreciate Mullins debut instead of getting into arguments that were never there in the first place.

You clearly don't understand what the issue is, but I agree. Back to baseball. Just don't think when you tell your African American friends that they are articulate they aren't secretly thinking you are an idiot, because they are. I wouldn't expect many here to understand and clearly that is the case. What you think is a compliment isn't always a compliment.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

You clearly don't understand what the issue is, but I agree. Back to baseball. Just don't think when you tell your African American friends that they are articulate they aren't secretly thinking you are an idiot, because they are. I wouldn't expect many here to understand and clearly that is the case. What you think is a compliment isn't always a compliment.

I get the issue, but it’s very difficult to navigate.    If I call Tyler Wilson articulate (which I did) it’s a compliment, but if I call Cedric Mullins articulate, there’s a subtext.   Or at least, it could be perceived that way.   It’s tricky.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I get the issue, but it’s very difficult to navigate.    If I call Tyler Wilson articulate (which I did) it’s a compliment, but if I call Cedric Mullins articulate, there’s a subtext.   Or at least, it could be perceived that way.   It’s tricky.    

Believe me, I know it's not a comfortable topic to talk about. I'm being sincere when I say it will offend. It's almost like saying "you talk like us". I can't explain it any better but there are thousands of great articles that do on the web.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

Believe me, I know it's not a comfortable topic to talk about. I'm being sincere when I say it will offend. It's almost like saying "you talk like us". I can't explain it any better but there are thousands of great articles that do on the web.

Oh, I believe you, it’s just challenging sometimes.    If I say Adam Jones is a very smart baserunner, am I implying other African American players are not?   If I say he is not a disciplined hitter, am I implying that’s because African American players are not disciplined?    If I say Nick Markakis has great instincts, is that okay, whereas if I say Adam Jones has great instincts, am I implying that African American players get by on natural ability rather than hard work?    But if I say Adam Jones is a hard worker, am I implying most African American players don’t work hard? It can be quite a dilemma.     

Anyway, sorry to digress.   

1 hour ago, Malike said:

That many such as yourself feel this way is not really the question.  Nobody is doubting that.  The question is who is responsible for the offense?  If a compliment is meant as an insult then the will of the insulter is clearly responsible for the offense.  If however, as in this case, the compliment is genuine and without any ill will or racial tension at all then I believe the offense is on the offended.  There are constantly ways to take things out of context because of our own personal biases and it is our personal responsibility to understand when we are doing that and to take full responsibility for our reactions.  Plenty of people have history that tints their perceptions of reality.  Personal development can unhook these reactions.  

• Upvote 1