terpoh

Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

On 8/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, spiritof66 said:

In 1977, two young Oriole newcomers got off to a fast start. In a moment of beer-fueled recklessness, I bet a friend (the first Angels fan I had ever encountered) that Billy Smith would collect 2,000 hits in his career and Eddie Murray would hit 500 home runs. We came out even. 

o

For the first month-and-a-half of the 1977 season, I remember being very excited about Billy Smith being at or near the top of the league in batting average. That spring was the first time that I had ever heard of him, and I would brag to my brother Mark (Yankee fan) about him (and also eventually about Ken Singleton and Al Bumbry when they both went to the top 3 in the league in batting average as the season wore on.) In the pre-Internet, Pre-Cable TV days, I would excitedly wait for my mom to get home with the NY Daily News every Sunday when the league stats for all of the regular position players and pitchers were posted on a weekly basis, so I could read how Smith was doing.

As the marathon 162 game season wore on, Smith's batting average progressively dropped. By the time that the season ended, he had batted .215 in 411 Plate Appearances.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=smithbi05&t=b&year=1977

o

o

(vs. ROYALS, 8/31)

NUMBER 3

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

o

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully the Orioles are good again before Mullins hits free agency.

I have a better one for you. Which is more likely 4 years from today, Mullins is considered at least a good player or the Orioles are a playoff contender?  No one has a crystal ball but I could see both going either way. Mullins needs to be a left fielder and the Os have a lot of if’s,but’s and hopefully’s. But that is what the rebuild is all about. Is it a long con or the real deal?

23 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I have a better one for you. Which is more likely 4 years from today, Mullins is considered at least a good player or the Orioles are a playoff contender?  No one has a crystal ball but I could see both going either way. Mullins needs to be a left fielder and the Os have a lot of if’s,but’s and hopefully’s. But that is what the rebuild is all about. Is it a long con or the real deal?

Why does Mullins need to be a LFer?

49 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Why does Mullins need to be a LFer?

He doesn’t, but if Ryan McKenna develops into a starter, he’ll likely be a better fit in CF. 

34 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

When is the last home grown bonafide leadoff hitter outfielder that excited you?? Ill wait. Don't say LJ Hoes.

The Bumblebee, of course. But I thought Luis Matos had potential as a leadoff hitter if Brian Roberts hadn't already claimed the spot. And Brady Anderson, although he came over from the Red Sox, his first few years with the O's were pretty weak and so he did several stints in our farm system.

But does it matter whether the leadoff hitter is an outfielder or not?

18 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The Bumblebee, of course. But I thought Luis Matos had potential as a leadoff hitter if Brian Roberts hadn't already claimed the spot. And Brady Anderson, although he came over from the Red Sox, his first few years with the O's were pretty weak and so he did several stints in our farm system.

But does it matter whether the leadoff hitter is an outfielder or not?

o

No !!!

Homegrown ...... blue-collar ...... works hard ...... didn't even have enough money to wash his uniform every day when he was in the Minors ...... walked 5 miles to and from school every day ...... had never stepped foot out of the state of Maryland until after his 18th birthday ......

Nothing else counts, or matters.

o

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He doesn’t, but if Ryan McKenna develops into a starter, he’ll likely be a better fit in CF. 

Of McKenna develops as hoped, then that would be a heck of an outfield. 

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Mullins is sitting again. Reason from Buck? He wants to see more of Andreoli.

Ahh it's so cute, Buck acting like his opinion still matters.

I'm sure the fact that LeBlanc is left handed isn't at all relevant.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh it's so cute, Buck acting like his opinion still matters.

I'm sure the fact that LeBlanc is left handed isn't at all relevant.

When will you learn that Buck is smarter than anyone else in baseball (as Jim Hunter likes to remind us) and thus knows more than you.