Jump to content
terpoh

Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

Recommended Posts

On 8/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, spiritof66 said:

 

In 1977, two young Oriole newcomers got off to a fast start. In a moment of beer-fueled recklessness, I bet a friend (the first Angels fan I had ever encountered) that Billy Smith would collect 2,000 hits in his career and Eddie Murray would hit 500 home runs. We came out even. 

 

o

 

For the first month-and-a-half of the 1977 season, I remember being very excited about Billy Smith being at or near the top of the league in batting average. That spring was the first time that I had ever heard of him, and I would brag to my brother Mark (Yankee fan) about him (and also eventually about Ken Singleton and Al Bumbry when they both went to the top 3 in the league in batting average as the season wore on.) In the pre-Internet, Pre-Cable TV days, I would excitedly wait for my mom to get home with the NY Daily News every Sunday when the league stats for all of the regular position players and pitchers were posted on a weekly basis, so I could read how Smith was doing.

 

As the marathon 162 game season wore on, Smith's batting average progressively dropped. By the time that the season ended, he had batted .215 in 411 Plate Appearances.

 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=smithbi05&t=b&year=1977
 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

 

(vs. ROYALS, 8/31)

 

NUMBER 3

 

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully the Orioles are good again before Mullins hits free agency.

I have a better one for you. Which is more likely 4 years from today, Mullins is considered at least a good player or the Orioles are a playoff contender?  No one has a crystal ball but I could see both going either way. Mullins needs to be a left fielder and the Os have a lot of if’s,but’s and hopefully’s. But that is what the rebuild is all about. Is it a long con or the real deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I have a better one for you. Which is more likely 4 years from today, Mullins is considered at least a good player or the Orioles are a playoff contender?  No one has a crystal ball but I could see both going either way. Mullins needs to be a left fielder and the Os have a lot of if’s,but’s and hopefully’s. But that is what the rebuild is all about. Is it a long con or the real deal?

Why does Mullins need to be a LFer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Why does Mullins need to be a LFer?

He doesn’t, but if Ryan McKenna develops into a starter, he’ll likely be a better fit in CF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

When is the last home grown bonafide leadoff hitter outfielder that excited you?? Ill wait. Don't say LJ Hoes.

The Bumblebee, of course. But I thought Luis Matos had potential as a leadoff hitter if Brian Roberts hadn't already claimed the spot. And Brady Anderson, although he came over from the Red Sox, his first few years with the O's were pretty weak and so he did several stints in our farm system.

But does it matter whether the leadoff hitter is an outfielder or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LA2 said:

 

The Bumblebee, of course. But I thought Luis Matos had potential as a leadoff hitter if Brian Roberts hadn't already claimed the spot. And Brady Anderson, although he came over from the Red Sox, his first few years with the O's were pretty weak and so he did several stints in our farm system.

But does it matter whether the leadoff hitter is an outfielder or not?

 

o

 

No !!!

Homegrown ...... blue-collar ...... works hard ...... didn't even have enough money to wash his uniform every day when he was in the Minors ...... walked 5 miles to and from school every day ...... had never stepped foot out of the state of Maryland until after his 18th birthday ......

 

Nothing else counts, or matters.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He doesn’t, but if Ryan McKenna develops into a starter, he’ll likely be a better fit in CF. 

Of McKenna develops as hoped, then that would be a heck of an outfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Mullins is sitting again. Reason from Buck? He wants to see more of Andreoli.

Ahh it's so cute, Buck acting like his opinion still matters.

I'm sure the fact that LeBlanc is left handed isn't at all relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh it's so cute, Buck acting like his opinion still matters.

I'm sure the fact that LeBlanc is left handed isn't at all relevant.

When will you learn that Buck is smarter than anyone else in baseball (as Jim Hunter likes to remind us) and thus knows more than you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...