Frobby

My first real look at the O’s this month

I’ve pretty much stopped watching the Orioles this summer, except for games I attend in person.   Occasionally I will tune in the 9th inning if I’ve seen on my phone that the Orioles are winning, but that’s it, and it doesn’t happen very often.

Yesterday though, I watched a whole five innings of Orioles baseball, from the 4th through 8th innings.   And I saw:

- Mullins running over to the LCF gap to hold a runner to a single.   Also, his throw into 2B was on the money.

- Gentry racing over to cut off a line drive headed for the corner and hold the hitter to a single.  

- Gentry making a strong throw to 3B that nearly nailed a runner.

- At least three strong pickoff throws by Cobb.

- Wynns making a strong throw to nail Lindor trying to steal, with Beckham making a nice slap tag when the throw leaked a couple of feet to the 1B side.   

- A beautifully turned 3-6-3 DP started by Chris Davis.

- A pretty routine, but nicely turned, 4-6-3 double play.

- Cobb catching a line drive hit at him that is caught maybe 2% of the time.

- A play where Villar got his glove on a ball Schoop wouldn’t have touched.

- Another play where Villar ranged towards 2B and made a tough throw against his momentum that the runner beat by an eyelash.   That was a play where Schoop’s arm might have gotten the ball there in time to beat the guy.   

- Mullins’ homer crushed into the RF bleachers.   

Overall, it was a really crisp defensive game.    Cobb let his fielders work, and they did their jobs well.    The offense wasn’t scintillating (I missed Mullins’ bunt single setting up Villar’s three run homer) but it was enjoyable to watch five innings of well played baseball.   

• Thanks 1

I have found them more enjoyable to watch since the Machado trade (and the rest of the deadline guys).  It is like watching actual baseball instead of a bunch of guys over swinging and the athleticism on defense in more enjoyable as well.

• Upvote 2

I had a chance to watch Cayden Grenier and JC Encarnacion last night. I'm no scout, but I really like what I saw out of those two. 

Encarnacion may change my opinion about the Gausman deal. I really like the way he plays. 

• Thanks 1

Villar stabilizes the infield defense. Seems to have made Beckham focus more, a little like Hardy influenced Schoop and Machado.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve pretty much stopped watching the Orioles this summer, except for games I attend in person.   Occasionally I will tune in the 9th inning if I’ve seen on my phone that the Orioles are winning, but that’s it, and it doesn’t happen very often.

Yesterday though, I watched a whole five innings of Orioles baseball, from the 4th through 8th innings.   And I saw:

- Mullins running over to the LCF gap to hold a runner to a single.   Also, his throw into 2B was on the money.

- Gentry racing over to cut off a line drive headed for the corner and hold the hitter to a single.  

- Gentry making a strong throw to 3B that nearly nailed a runner.

- At least three strong pickoff throws by Cobb.

- Wynns making a strong throw to nail Lindor trying to steal, with Beckham making a nice slap tag when the throw leaked a couple of feet to the 1B side.   

- A beautifully turned 3-6-3 DP started by Chris Davis.

- A pretty routine, but nicely turned, 4-6-3 double play.

- Cobb catching a line drive hit at him that is caught maybe 2% of the time.

- A play where Villar got his glove on a ball Schoop wouldn’t have touched.

- Another play where Villar ranged towards 2B and made a tough throw against his momentum that the runner beat by an eyelash.   That was a play where Schoop’s arm might have gotten the ball there in time to beat the guy.   

- Mullins’ homer crushed into the RF bleachers.   

Overall, it was a really crisp defensive game.    Cobb let his fielders work, and they did their jobs well.    The offense wasn’t scintillating (I missed Mullins’ bunt single setting up Villar’s three run homer) but it was enjoyable to watch five innings of well played baseball.   

I really like Villar and Mullins. 

54 minutes ago, rick30 said:

Why isn’t Rickard playing?  

His OPS is too high.  Gotta let some guys play who have an OPS under Machado’s slugging.

1 hour ago, rick30 said:

Why isn’t Rickard playing?  

It’s pretty inconsequential who’s playing between Rickard and Gentry in my opinion.

Mullins, Villar, Nuñez, Beckham all need to be getting at bats on an every day basis. 

I suppose if I had to pick one it would be Rickard, but either way is just 🤷🏽‍♂️ To me. 

Great observations, Frobby.

And all the more reason to move away from building beer league softball teams where the only thing they did reasonably well was hit homers. This club needs to get back to strong defense up the middle and not this coterie of DHs masquerading as a defense.