ORIOLE33

How Do The Orioles Land On Sunday Night Baseball?

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

ESPN promotion with Jones hitting HRs?  He has a total of 4 from June - present (254 ABs).  Mancini has 4 this month.

No one knows who Mancini is outside of hardcore baseball fans. 

54 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Yeah, I get that, but ESPN should know who he is.  That's Mancini's 5th HR this month.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

I also don’t think ESPN’s audience is baseball fans anymore.

Matt Versagian had this to say about the Sunday Night matchup.  The ESPN announcers intentions are to not pile on the Orioles bad season.  And as far as I could tell, they didn't.

Vasgersian asserts that his team, even with a former Yankee in the booth, aren’t out to tear the Birds down more than the summer already has.

“We're going to be fair about it. They're having a historically bad season, and there's no running away from that. There's a lot of questions about not only who's gonna be on the field but who's gonna be making the decisions moving forward because, you know, famously Buck [Showalter] and Dan [Duquette] are both in ‘walk years’ in their deals,” he said.

“I think I speak for the [Sunday Night Baseball] group, for our production team, and I know I speak for Alex [Rodriguez] and Jess [Mendoza] because we've discussed this — we have way too much respect for Buck specifically and the Orioles organization in general to pile on.”

11 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, I get that, but ESPN should know who he is.  That's Mancini's 5th HR this month.

I don't know about that. ESPN's baseball coverage is pretty lackluster in general these days and Mancini is a bad player on a terrible bad team.

Just now, Babypowder said:

I don't know about that. ESPN's baseball coverage is pretty lackluster in general these days and Mancini is a bad player on a terrible bad team.

Speaking of their coverage last night, it was conversation heavy with very little play-by-play.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Speaking of their coverage last night, it was conversation heavy with very little play-by-play.

I was at the game, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

On the Friday night O's-NYY broadcast, after Mancini made two bad plays at first base, YES announcer John Flaherty explained that Mancini is "an outfielder by trade" who was filling in at first. What surprised me was that Ken Singleton -- who's usually pretty knowledgeable about the Orioles; I've always assumed he reads the Sun regularly -- agreed, adding that sometimes guys are put in the outfield to keep them further away from the batter.

One of the adorable things about the NYY TV and radio announcers, other than Michael Kay and Al Leiter, is that they do no research about opposing players and express their opinions based on what they see when teams are playing the NYYs (and sometimes on an information sheet they've been supplied with but apparently don't look at in advance).

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

On the Friday night O's-NYY broadcast, after Mancini made two bad plays at first base, YES announcer John Flaherty explained that Mancini is "an outfielder by trade" who was filling in at first. What surprised me was that Ken Singleton -- who's usually pretty knowledgeable about the Orioles; I've always assumed he reads the Sun regularly -- agreed, adding that sometimes guys are put in the outfield to keep them further away from the batter.

One of the adorable things about the NYY TV and radio announcers, other than Michael Kay and Al Leiter, is that they do no research about opposing players and express their opinions based on what they see when teams are playing the NYYs (and sometimes on an information sheet they've been supplied with but apparently don't look at in advance).

That information sheet has so much information. Picked it up a few times at the club level. They make some copies for the fans but run out early  It has everything you need to know about both teams.Palmer actually tells you that he watched this guy pitch on TV a few days ago.Bordick just uses the sheet.Most of the time he barely talks about the other team.

5 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

I also don’t think ESPN’s audience is baseball fans anymore.

I'm not even sure their core audience is sports fans.  They are the Entertainment and Sports Network.

3 hours ago, SeaBird said:

Matt Versagian had this to say about the Sunday Night matchup.  The ESPN announcers intentions are to not pile on the Orioles bad season.  And as far as I could tell, they didn't.

Vasgersian asserts that his team, even with a former Yankee in the booth, aren’t out to tear the Birds down more than the summer already has.

“We're going to be fair about it. They're having a historically bad season, and there's no running away from that. There's a lot of questions about not only who's gonna be on the field but who's gonna be making the decisions moving forward because, you know, famously Buck [Showalter] and Dan [Duquette] are both in ‘walk years’ in their deals,” he said.

“I think I speak for the [Sunday Night Baseball] group, for our production team, and I know I speak for Alex [Rodriguez] and Jess [Mendoza] because we've discussed this — we have way too much respect for Buck specifically and the Orioles organization in general to pile on.”

I like this year's SNB team, even ARod, and I thought they did a good job calling the game last night.  A lot of the focus was on the Orioles history, past players, the ballpark, and Buck, and they didn't pile on to the 2018 losing ways.  I give them credit, because I don't even think most of us could call a game right now without piling on, and its OUR team!

When Giancarlo Stanton came to bat, the ESPN camera crew gave a good deal of coverage to some kid in a Yankees shirt holding a homemade sign that said "300."

The game, for Orioles fans, was yet another dark cloud in a season chock-full of them, but one tiny silver lining was that Stanton, instead of hitting his 300th home run, took a golden sombrero at the hands of the Oriole pitchers.

Edited by WillyM
corrected grammar
  • Upvote 1