Roy Firestone

The "showdown" is coming

The Colts and Patriots played on the last day of the 1981 season.  The loser would get the #1 overall draft pick.

It was about 28 degrees and windy, I was in Section 34 upper deck in the front row.  Holy ground that 6 months out of the year would be trod by Wild Bill himself, but not in December.

The Patriots led late in the game but with less than two minutes left, the Colts drove down through a suspicious bad New England prevent defense and kicked the winning field goal.

We won the game, the last Baltimore Colts game I ever attended, and New England got the number one pick.  I believe they took a lineman who turned out to be a complete bust, and I can't now recall who we took with pick #2.

I remember the heater blasting in my friend's Ford Pinto but I still didn't get my toes un-numbed until after I got home 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Next weekend on the road against the Kansas City Royals...We need to lose at least two out of three. Currently we are just a game ahead of them in most losses..This is the series that could make or break the season....(man, those words sound almost like a throwback)...we need to play poorly. Or to be specific, we need to keep doing what we are doing...

Have you ever said the words “we need to lose at least two out of three” before in reference to the O’s?

I never actively rooted for them to lose until this year. It’s a really weird feeling. 

On paper the O’s are probably better than the Royals. KC is just an absolute dumpster fire. That said, I hope we stick it to KC and finish worse than them. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I predict we get swept.  We a bullpen that will lose any game we give them. Unless a starter goes at least 8 innings we aren't winning anything. 

Have you seen the Royals' bullpen lately?

KC relievers have a 5.16 ERA this year, compared to the Orioles' 4.78. However bad you think the Orioles' bullpen is, the Royals are worse.

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles could win all three and still end up with a worse record than the Royals. While the Orioles play in a strong division, the AL Central is the weakest in MLB with only one team over .500. Because of the competition, the Royals should post a better record than the Orioles between now and season's end.

The fate of which team drafts first next year is unlikely to be decided solely by this upcoming series. In other words, don't stress over it, Roy.

Actually, it was a somewhat lighthearted attempt to make the series seem interesting.Im not stressing over it at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Have you seen the Royals' bullpen lately?

KC relievers have a 5.16 ERA this year, compared to the Orioles' 4.78. However bad you think the Orioles' bullpen is, the Royals are worse.

Britton, Brach and O'Day are gone.  And Castro has nose-dived.  Yeah our bullpen is worse. I am sure it the bullpen ERA will be above 5.16 before the season is over. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, LocoChris said:

On paper the O’s are probably better than the Royals. KC is just an absolute dumpster fire. That said, I hope we stick it to KC and finish worse than them. 

The Orioles are not better on paper than the Royals.  The Orioles best position player for WAR is Gentry and he has less than 1 WAR.  Look at the Royals team they are the better team.   I don't know why people are trying to convince themselves the Orioles are better than someone. Look at tonight's line-up.  That is a triple a team's line up.  

If you look at the teams total WAR. Now subtract Machado, Schoops, Gausman, Brittons, and Bleier's WAR and you have negative team WAR

BAL
E 17-43 .283
C  9-18  .333
W 4-19  .174
I   7-13  .350
   37-93

KCR
E  6-24 .200
C 23-29 .442
W  7-26  .212
I    4-11   .267
   40-90

What do those numbers tell you? The Orioles do better against the East than than KC,  so the Orioles are better, right?  Wait.  The Orioles do worse against the Central than KC, so the Royals are better?  

JubilantParallelGharial-size_restricted.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I just thought of a great promotional line for the KC series:

"The battle for Number one"

...er, thats Number one Draft pick.

UdPmcNS.jpg