Sign in to follow this  
weams

Hurt or Injured?

Is it being implied that this is directed at one specific player? If so, I'm drawing a blank ... Trumbo? Mullins? 

I don't think Buck's right on this one.  Sometimes, if you play hurt, that leads to an injury.  I didn't ever really understand what getting injured meant until I was 21 "racing" in a half-marathon run.  I twisted my ankle badly at the 6 mile mark, rolled around on the ground in pain for about 20 seconds but then felt good enough to keep running.  Well, a mile or so later, I twisted it much worse and had to crawl to the aid station.  The ankle swole up to twice its previous size and turned all the colors of the rainbow - I was on crutches for the next 4 months.  

I think using Buck's logic, he would have expected me to keep playing after the first sprain (which I'd gladly do), and I wouldn't have been able to play at my previous level and would have risked a serious injury.  And some guys just can't perform well unless everything's working.  Sometimes, it's got less to do with toughness and grit as it does with talent.

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I don't think Buck's right on this one.  Sometimes, if you play hurt, that leads to an injury.  I didn't ever really understand what getting injured meant until I was 21 "racing" in a half-marathon run.  I twisted my ankle badly at the 6 mile mark, rolled around on the ground in pain for about 20 seconds but then felt good enough to keep running.  Well, a mile or so later, I twisted it much worse and had to crawl to the aid station.  The ankle swole up to twice its previous size and turned all the colors of the rainbow - I was on crutches for the next 4 months.  

I think using Buck's logic, he would have expected me to keep playing after the first sprain (which I'd gladly do), and I wouldn't have been able to play at my previous level and would have risked a serious injury.  And some guys just can't perform well unless everything's working.  Sometimes, it's got less to do with toughness and grit as it does with talent.

I understand Buck's point that players can't sit out for any pain or issue they have - but yeah, I agree with you: if a player's oblique is keeping them from hitting anywhere close to what is normal for them... they should sit out and heal up so they can be effective again.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that they’ve kept Jones in RF the last two days even with Mullins out.   

I think Jones realizes what he has to do in order to extend his career in any meaningful way. It won't do him any good to switch him off a position that he needs to learn to survive in order to play his former position that nobody will pay him to play moving forward.

And Gentry's a more capable CFer.  I haven't watched much of the O's lately, but I saw him make a high-light reel catch a few days ago - diving forward - that Jones woudn't have come close to making.  

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that they’ve kept Jones in RF the last two days even with Mullins out.   

Buck said he didn't want Jones to be going back and forth between the two spots.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Buck said he didn't want Jones to be going back and forth between the two spots.

That was what I read too, that Buck wanted him to get consistent reps in RF.

At this point in the season, every player hurts.  Much like by game 12 in an NFL season.  Maybe he should have worded it as sore instead of hurt.  But, I get what he means.

So, who is Buck complaining about? Mullins? Marinez? Both? Neither?

If it is Mullins that is kind of silly. Why would you take any chances with him?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I thought he hired Brocail pretty late in the offseason when no one else was available. I always got the impression Elias thought Brocail was the best he could do on short notice. I'm kind of surprised he lasted more than a year to begin with, but maybe someone Elias really wanted became available, or like was said earlier in the thread with minor league contraction there will be a ton of candidates
    • Fredi Gonzalez and Tim Cossins both served as bench coaches in 2020.   Gonzalez besides being a former manager was Third Base Coach for the Marlins from 2016 through 2019.   My guess is he takes over Flores join at 3rd base. That would cut the number of coaches on Hyde's staff from 8 to 7.
    • In 2020: Overall: .273/.312/.481, 12 HR and 35 RBI in 231 PA Vs. O’s: .333/.356/.881, 7 HR and 18 RBI in 45 PA. Vs. other teams: .259/.301/.385, 5 HR and 17 RBI in 186 PA. In 2019: Overall: .232/.280/.457, 31 HR, 80 RBI in 628 PA Vs. O’s: .321/.368/.830, 7 HR, 15 RBI in 57 PA Vs. Other teams: .223/.271/.420, 24 HR and 65 RBI in 571 PA. This guy is a sub-.700 OPS hitter when he’s not playing us, and a 1.200+ OPS hitter when facing the O’s.    That’s nuts! Anyway, glad to see the Blue Jays quickly bounced from the playoffs.  
    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970 the Baltimore Orioles finished the season with a walk-off 3-2 win over the Washington Senators. The winning run was a result of Davey Johnson's RBI single that allowed Merv Rettenmund to score.  Reliever Jim Hardin was the beneficiary of the winning run and recorded his 6th win of the season. Jim Palmer started and allowed 2 runs on 9 hits with 3 walks and 6 strikeouts over 8.0 innings. Frank Robinson hit his 25th homerun and went 1 for 3 with 1 run scored and 1 RBI.  Chico Salmon went 2 for 2. The Orioles finished the season on an 11 game winning streak and with an overall 108-54 record, 15.0 games ahead of the second place New York Yankees. BOX SCORE  
    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970, the Orioles defeated the Washington Senators by a score of 6-2. Dave McNally made his final start of the season a solid one.  McNally allowed 2 runs on 4 hits while walking 3 and striking out 9 in a complete game effort; he finished with a 24-9 record. Frank Robinson went 3 for 3 with 1 double, 1 run scored and 2 RBI. Brooks Robinson went 1 for 3 with a triple and 2 RBI. The Orioles finished the month of September with a 107-54 record; the team went 21-7 for the month. BOX SCORE
    • And I assume Hyde is on board, since Elias has been pretty clear that Hyde picks his staff.  
    • Ooof.  Garrett Olson and Hayden Penn.  That was a trip down memory lane, for sure.  And while it's been awhile since I've heard those names, it still doesn't seem that long ago.  Hayden Penn also lives on in my mind because there was a poster here who said that Hayden Penn could never be good cause of his name, which was hilarious and that take on prospects became a thing around here for a little bit.   In regards to Jen Royle, it looks like she's still temperamental towards anyone who might not like her.  Yikes:  https://tbdailynews.com/jen-royle-doxxes-and-publicly-shames-man-on-twitter-for-leaving-negative-yelp-review-after-being-charged-50-cancellation-fee/ Sheesh, it gets better:  https://tbdailynews.com/dear-jen-royle-i-apologize-and-humbly-ask-for-your-forgiveness-for-blogging-about-your-unorthodox-business-methods-on-social-media/
  • Popular Contributors