Jump to content
section18

Notes From Wednesday's Toronto Complete The Sweep Game

Recommended Posts

Just now, spiritof66 said:

That's last in MLB by more than half a run.

The funny thing is, I hadn’t really even noticed.   In five games this month we’ve given up 19, 17, 16, 11 and 10 runs.   That’ll put a dent in your ERA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, section18 said:

What has happened to Frye?  He was pitching well earlier and lately he can hardly get out of innings without giving up runs.

I think fatigue, since it has mainly been a command issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 3:17 PM, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Speak for yourself. If there's an MLB game to be played and one of the teams involved is from Baltimore and wears "Orioles" across its uniforms' chests, I want that team to win. Period. Draft pick, shraft mick.

Great first post Meat!!!!!

That's what I call announcing your presence with authority! ;) 

Welcome aboard!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, section18 said:

Notes from Wednesdays Toronto complete the sweep game.

1. Nice win last night against Toronto to complete the sweep.  Gentry is hitting I believe .265 according to the scoreboard at last nights game I attended. He has been hitting line drives all over the place since coming back to the active roster. It's the best he has hit with us. Did someone at Norfolk make a change in his stance or approach? He looks different at the plate.  I think he has moved his feet further apart.  His speed and Andreoli's is certainly a welcome addition to the outfield.

2.  AJ looks like he was made for RF in my opinion.  Less running for him and I think it will extend his career playing there. When he hit the slam last night it was fantastic. The small crowd was really into it.  I can't remember the player for us that had the big hit to LF for us in the playoffs a few years ago that helped us win the game against Detroit. Much smaller crowd but similar feeling. I believe it was a bases loaded 3-1 pitch to AJ and boom he crushed it to LF half way up or more into the seats. I can't tell you how happy I was and how happy the fans were watching him run around the bases.  Is some of that Ripken magic rubbing off on him since moving into his house?  My regular seats are terrace box section 23 looking down at the Orioles dugout but during the later innings I like to stand on the flag court and sometimes go to the bleacher area and watch the games to see how our OF's are doing out there.  Different perspective  being behind them.  AJ and Gentry along with Andreoli totally change our defensive capabilities.  I rate them a B+ as opposed to the old Mancini, AJ and Trumbo OF that  would get normally a C - at best. The pitchers will probably be buying these guys lunch or dinner on a regular basis if Buck keeps them out there.. 

3. The same with Villar at 2B. Sorry ! To those Jonathan Schoop lovers he is a C+ player and Villar is a B+ player. It's obvious if you watch the games closely or better yet attend the games.  Villar is faster and gets to more balls due to his speed.  Fact ! If he plays regularly for us at 2B he will steal at least 40 bases+ again.  I don't think he had any hits last night but he is a steadier hitter and strikes out less.

4. Did someone pass on my comments to Dickerson about our infielders throwing 3\4 arm to 1B?  They appear to be throwing more over the top as I suggested like JJ threw when he was our SS.  Their accuracy is much better over the top.  I think most of the Latin players throw 3\4. I've noticed it with other teams players.  Are they taught this growing up?   Over the top will lead to more accurate throws.. 

5. This team right now is much more enjoyable to watch than before the trades.  Even the dugout is livelier and everyone seems to be getting along.  No team should be a one or two man team. Even Davis appears to be benefitting from the new cast.  He is making more contact and it's a shame they allow the shift because he loses a lot of hits on balls to the OF infielders are grabbing. Let's hope he continues to improve his average now in the .170's.

6.  After Toronto swept us in their park recently to come here and get swept by us probably stunned them. Their manager had that "Who are these guys" look for all 3 games this week as our speed and defense and better pitching contributed to the sweep.  Are we the best 40 win team ready to start September?  There are some teams in September we are going to surprise with our new look. Boston, the NYY and even the Astros will see a different team.  Even the Mariners and Royals will be surprised by our new look as we always had trouble with them in the past due to lack of speed and poor hitting.  We don't want to win too many games but just play competitive baseball the last month and hope we get the #1 or #2 pick.  Is Witt still the #1 guy? I heard some people talking the other day on the radio and they say there are several guys that could be number 1 by next June.  Position player or pitcher? Which way do we go? I think a position player should be number 1.

7. Attendance last night was the lowest I've ever seen. It was really hot.  Every time I touched my forehead last night until about 8 or 8:30 I wiped perspiration off. It was like I splashed water on it. Still an enjoyable night.  If you have bought tickets earlier in the season for games in September and are debating whether to go you will like what you see if you attend games. I have 3 more left and can't wait for the next one.  It's always a great experience watching a game at Oriole Park win or lose. The people sitting around me in my terrace box seats were cheering loudly and the crowd on the flag court were enjoying things as well. You could tell by the smiles on their faces they were watching something different. Something we are not used to and don't all of us like beating Toronto?

 

Somebody had a big helping of Orange Koolaid! Haha

Glad you had a good time. We were there for Hangout night as well. 

I do have to say this though, if you thought the reaction to Jones'grand slam was anywhere similar to the reaction when Delmond Young hit the bases clearing double against Detroit in the playoffs, then you weren't at that game live. That was the loudest reaction I've heard at any sporting event. Not even in the same ballpark.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I do have to say this though, if you thought the reaction to Jones'grand slam was anywhere similar to the reaction when Delmond Young hit the bases clearing double against Detroit in the playoffs, then you weren't at that game live. That was the loudest reaction I've heard at any sporting event. Not even in the same ballpark.

 

Actually, it was in the same ballpark.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, section18 said:

Notes from Wednesdays Toronto complete the sweep game.

1. Nice win last night against Toronto to complete the sweep.  Gentry is hitting I believe .265 according to the scoreboard at last nights game I attended. He has been hitting line drives all over the place since coming back to the active roster. It's the best he has hit with us. Did someone at Norfolk make a change in his stance or approach? He looks different at the plate.  I think he has moved his feet further apart.  His speed and Andreoli's is certainly a welcome addition to the outfield.

2.  AJ looks like he was made for RF in my opinion.  Less running for him and I think it will extend his career playing there. When he hit the slam last night it was fantastic. The small crowd was really into it.  I can't remember the player for us that had the big hit to LF for us in the playoffs a few years ago that helped us win the game against Detroit. Much smaller crowd but similar feeling. I believe it was a bases loaded 3-1 pitch to AJ and boom he crushed it to LF half way up or more into the seats. I can't tell you how happy I was and how happy the fans were watching him run around the bases.  Is some of that Ripken magic rubbing off on him since moving into his house?  My regular seats are terrace box section 23 looking down at the Orioles dugout but during the later innings I like to stand on the flag court and sometimes go to the bleacher area and watch the games to see how our OF's are doing out there.  Different perspective  being behind them.  AJ and Gentry along with Andreoli totally change our defensive capabilities.  I rate them a B+ as opposed to the old Mancini, AJ and Trumbo OF that  would get normally a C - at best. The pitchers will probably be buying these guys lunch or dinner on a regular basis if Buck keeps them out there.. 

3. The same with Villar at 2B. Sorry ! To those Jonathan Schoop lovers he is a C+ player and Villar is a B+ player. It's obvious if you watch the games closely or better yet attend the games.  Villar is faster and gets to more balls due to his speed.  Fact ! If he plays regularly for us at 2B he will steal at least 40 bases+ again.  I don't think he had any hits last night but he is a steadier hitter and strikes out less.

4. Did someone pass on my comments to Dickerson about our infielders throwing 3\4 arm to 1B?  They appear to be throwing more over the top as I suggested like JJ threw when he was our SS.  Their accuracy is much better over the top.  I think most of the Latin players throw 3\4. I've noticed it with other teams players.  Are they taught this growing up?   Over the top will lead to more accurate throws.. 

5. This team right now is much more enjoyable to watch than before the trades.  Even the dugout is livelier and everyone seems to be getting along.  No team should be a one or two man team. Even Davis appears to be benefitting from the new cast.  He is making more contact and it's a shame they allow the shift because he loses a lot of hits on balls to the OF infielders are grabbing. Let's hope he continues to improve his average now in the .170's.

6.  After Toronto swept us in their park recently to come here and get swept by us probably stunned them. Their manager had that "Who are these guys" look for all 3 games this week as our speed and defense and better pitching contributed to the sweep.  Are we the best 40 win team ready to start September?  There are some teams in September we are going to surprise with our new look. Boston, the NYY and even the Astros will see a different team.  Even the Mariners and Royals will be surprised by our new look as we always had trouble with them in the past due to lack of speed and poor hitting.  We don't want to win too many games but just play competitive baseball the last month and hope we get the #1 or #2 pick.  Is Witt still the #1 guy? I heard some people talking the other day on the radio and they say there are several guys that could be number 1 by next June.  Position player or pitcher? Which way do we go? I think a position player should be number 1.

7. Attendance last night was the lowest I've ever seen. It was really hot.  Every time I touched my forehead last night until about 8 or 8:30 I wiped perspiration off. It was like I splashed water on it. Still an enjoyable night.  If you have bought tickets earlier in the season for games in September and are debating whether to go you will like what you see if you attend games. I have 3 more left and can't wait for the next one.  It's always a great experience watching a game at Oriole Park win or lose. The people sitting around me in my terrace box seats were cheering loudly and the crowd on the flag court were enjoying things as well. You could tell by the smiles on their faces they were watching something different. Something we are not used to and don't all of us like beating Toronto?

 

2. I also like AJ in RF.  He looks pretty comfortable there and certainly much better than some of the DHs we've trotted out there the last few years.

4. Infielders are taught growing up to learn to throw from many different arm angles because there isn't always time to set and throw over the top.  When charging slow rollers or bunts they are encouraged to come from down low and on double plays they are encouraged to use an arm angle most natural from where the ball is received.  I think on routine ground balls most infielders go with what is most comfortable

5. Maybe the dugout is livelier because Trumbo isn't playing?  We could bring pies back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Actually, it was in the same ballpark.   

You beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think fatigue, since it has mainly been a command issue.

Buck said two things in the MASN post-game: (1) Fry was fyne until he had to get the third out in the 9th, which he said is the toughest out in baseball to get and (2) the humidity made the ball wet and hard to grip for the particular types of pitches he was trying to throw.

In fact, Buck made reference several times in the post-game as to how it was so humid he's looking forward to the day when all the stadiums are domed and climate-controlled, especially now that, according to him, artificial turf has been improved so much it doesn't damage players legs like it used to, Does anyone happen to know whether that's true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 10:56 AM, section18 said:

2.  AJ looks like he was made for RF in my opinion.  Less running for him and I think it will extend his career playing there. When he hit the slam last night it was fantastic. The small crowd was really into it.  I can't remember the player for us that had the big hit to LF for us in the playoffs a few years ago that helped us win the game against Detroit. Much smaller crowd but similar feeling. I believe it was a bases loaded 3-1 pitch to AJ and boom he crushed it to LF half way up or more into the seats. I can't tell you how happy I was and how happy the fans were watching him run around the bases.  Is some of that Ripken magic rubbing off on him since moving into his house?  My regular seats are terrace box section 23 looking down at the Orioles dugout but during the later innings I like to stand on the flag court and sometimes go to the bleacher area and watch the games to see how our OF's are doing out there.  Different perspective  being behind them.  AJ and Gentry along with Andreoli totally change our defensive capabilities.  I rate them a B+ as opposed to the old Mancini, AJ and Trumbo OF that  would get normally a C - at best. The pitchers will probably be buying these guys lunch or dinner on a regular basis if Buck keeps them out there.. 

 

 

The pitchers have to be excited about the defensive upgrades in the OF.  I would wince every time a ball was hit to the OF if I was pitching for the O's with the old OF.  You are being overly generous with a C- grade.  I think a D- might even been on the high side.  I'm excited that the O's might have one of the best OF defenses by the end of next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After two? games off Cedric returned tonight and did  it all again. He had a HR, double and several nice catches in CF. Gentry being designated should allow us to see mostly Cedric and Andreoli the rest of the season in CF.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...