Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Nintendo - Switch

My grandboys are currently using the heck out of my Wii. I did read that the Wii Shop is closing, so no more old games available to buy and download to the Wii, and my first generation Wii is on its last leg.

So what are your thoughts on the Switch?

My grandboys like playing smash brothers and other classic nintendo games, so switching to Playstation or Xbox is not an answer.

Reviews are so-so, havent found anybody that actually has one.

A1024359.jpg

I know a number of folks that have the Switch and they all at least like it.  There is also a rapidly growing library of games.  Nintendo has the best IP in the market.

I am guessing your grand kids are in their early 30's right?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know a number of folks that have the Switch and they all at least like it.  There is also a rapidly growing library of games.  Nintendo has the best IP in the market.

I am guessing your grand kids are in their early 30's right?

Damn, I knew I was old.

They are using my Son's old Wii, and he just turned 30.

They are 6,9 and 11.

and thanks.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Damn, I knew I was old.

They are using my Son's old Wii, and he just turned 30.

They are 6,9 and 11.

and thanks.

Seriously I think a Switch will go over well.

Make sure you get Zelda Breath Of The Wild if any of them are at all interested in that sort of game, I've heard extremely good things about it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Seriously I think a Switch will go over well.

Make sure you get Zelda Breath Of The Wild if any of them are at all interested in that sort of game, I've heard extremely good things about it.

Thanks, the reviews that i have read was iffy, and when you spending $300, thats not something to be iffy about.

I think like most things we all have preferences, like the old dodge, chevy or ford debate.

My son prefers Xbox and his call to duty genre, which isnt my cup of tea.

I think when I was playing video games, the James Bond Goldeneye and the world is not enough was my hands down favorite.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Thanks, the reviews that i have read was iffy, and when you spending $300, thats not something to be iffy about.

I think like most things we all have preferences, like the old dodge, chevy or ford debate.

My son prefers Xbox and his call to duty genre, which isnt my cup of tea.

I think when I was playing video games, the James Bond Goldeneye and the world is not enough was my hands down favorite.

I'm a PC guy when it comes to gaming.  Never saw the logic in buying a separate system for games and tying up a TV.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a PC guy when it comes to gaming.  Never saw the logic in buying a separate system for games and tying up a TV.

True, but PC games, tend to be solo games.

Having 4 people play something at the same time, can be fun to watch then have fun.

I play a couple of games, but those are phone based, and go anywhere I go, which makes it very convenient.

If your grandkids like Nintendo first party games, the Switch is definitely worth picking up, IMO. I have put in well over 100+ hours into each of Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. All three of these are great, IMO.  There are the Wii U ports of Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Country which are all fun games. The Wii U ports annoy me because I already have them on the Wii U. Not many people owned a Wii U, so I understand why Nintendo ported them over to the Switch. Super Smash Bros Ultimate is also coming out later this year.

My kids 7 and 10 mainly use the Switch to play Fortnite together. Since you can play cross platform on the Xbox One and Switch, they can each play on separate TVs. They occasionally play Rocket League cross platform, also.

The big benefit to the Switch is being able to take it out of the dock and use it in handheld or tabletop mode. I didn’t think my Switch would get used that often out of the dock, but my son uses it in handheld mode quite often. My wife also prefers to play Stardew Valley in handheld mode.

The downside to the Switch is power. It is not going to compete with the PS4 or Xbox One as far as power goes. Because of this your not going to get all the 3rd party games that these other two consoles get. This isn’t a factor for me because I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. We have an Xbox One for all the Call of Duty and other games my kids might want to play.

Later this month, Nintendo’s online service will be needed to play online. I believe the cost is $20 a year for a single person or $40 a year for a family. I could be a little off on the price. You will be able to download a bunch of older Nintendo games as long as you keep the online service active.

I have to agree w/ Munson and Corn on this.  The Switch looks like a great system if you have kids/grandkids.  The only two downsides that I've seen so far are:

1. Playing online - if you're playing a game online and want to actually talk to people, there is no headset.  You have to use a separate app on your cellphone.

2. Accessories - it is pretty absurd how expensive Nintendo's controllers/accessories can be.  If you want a 2nd controller, you have two options.  Either the Pro controller for $70 or you can get a 2nd pair of joy-con controllers which can get a lot more expensive.  The Joy-con's are $80 by themselves, but if you get these, you'll need to either get the charging grip (the thing that makes them look like a controller) or a charging station; both are $30.