Sign in to follow this  
scbalt52

Call of Duty Black Ops 4

Anyone play the beta? I did, I thought the battle royale (blackout) mode was really fun. I enjoyed it much more than Fortnite, and more than PUBG. I plan on getting the game, I was mainly interested in the zombies mode (usually this COD company makes better zombie modes than last years, although I like WW2). This blackout mode being legit has me really excited. I had a lot of fun over the weekend playing.

I preordered it for my son and he got to play it this weekend. He said he really liked Blackout. It seemed like it had a little lag. I assume they are still working on some bugs.

12 hours ago, Munson said:

I preordered it for my son and he got to play it this weekend. He said he really liked Blackout. It seemed like it had a little lag. I assume they are still working on some bugs.

Yeah I didn't have too much lag, I crashed a few times but overall it played pretty smoothly for me. They already announced several good improvements to the game on release and definitely a few bugs to work out which is expected with a beta.

Just think of all the extra money these guys have made, with all the updates and variations, and everybody having to keep up. :)

I went and looked it up, there are 15 games, not counting add-ons and DLCs.

• Call of Duty - 29 Oct, 2003
  • Call of Duty: United Offensive - 15 Sep, 2004
  • Call of Duty: Finest Hour - Dec, 3, 2004
  • Call of Duty 2: Big Red 1 - Nov, 1, 2005
  • Call of Duty 2 - Oct 25, 2005

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_series

I also found this tidbit fascinating:

In three short days, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 made $550 million, or about £361 million, AU$780 million. That's more than any film opening, book launch or CD in 2015, combined.

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/activision-made-more-money-in-one-weekend-than-eight-countries-did-in-a-year-1308748

On 10/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I also found this tidbit fascinating:

Remember that quote the next time one of these multi-BILLION dollar companies cries about not being profitable without micro-transactions.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, Elbren said:

Remember that quote the next time one of these multi-BILLION dollar companies cries about not being profitable without micro-transactions.

Supply and demand, if there wasn't a demand, then they wouldn't do it. :)

Much like EA Sports and Madden whatever it is, got to spend that $65 and get the latest greatest every single season or release Halloween #33. :)

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Supply and demand, if there wasn't a demand, then they wouldn't do it. :)

Much like EA Sports and Madden whatever it is, got to spend that $65 and get the latest greatest every single season or release Halloween #33. :)

They don't even care about yearly iterations anymore.  They've actually been talking on-and-off the past couple of years about doing away w/ the yearly iterations and going w/ "live services".  THAT is how much money is there to be had from micro-transactions. (yes, people are that stupid)  People (at least here, in the States) are always talking about Madden, but the realty is, Madden isn't their big money maker.  It's the FIFA franchise.  FIFA Ultimate Team (FIFA's multiplayer component that's based around randomized card packs) is quite literally a billion dollar money making machine for EA.  It makes so much money, they've been slowly trying to push this into other games, like Battlefront II.  It makes so much money, they actually canceled Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and closed Visceral Studios because they saw no realistic way of shoehorning a MTX system into the game.  She literally had an EA executive look at her and ask, "Yeah ... but how are we going to make a billion dollars off of this, like FIFA Ultimate Team?"

Recent Jim Sterling video about how much money is being made by companies like Ubisoft, EA and Activision/Blizzard ... despite what they say when they close development studios.

Warning: language NSFW

10 hours ago, Elbren said:

They don't even care about yearly iterations anymore.  They've actually been talking on-and-off the past couple of years about doing away w/ the yearly iterations and going w/ "live services".  THAT is how much money is there to be had from micro-transactions. (yes, people are that stupid)  People (at least here, in the States) are always talking about Madden, but the realty is, Madden isn't their big money maker.  It's the FIFA franchise.  FIFA Ultimate Team (FIFA's multiplayer component that's based around randomized card packs) is quite literally a billion dollar money making machine for EA.  It makes so much money, they've been slowly trying to push this into other games, like Battlefront II.  It makes so much money, they actually canceled Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and closed Visceral Studios because they saw no realistic way of shoehorning a MTX system into the game.  She literally had an EA executive look at her and ask, "Yeah ... but how are we going to make a billion dollars off of this, like FIFA Ultimate Team?"

Recent Jim Sterling video about how much money is being made by companies like Ubisoft, EA and Activision/Blizzard ... despite what they say when they close development studios.

Warning: language NSFW

Sad that Madden sports is only a 4 billion dollar industry. :)

https://moneyinc.com/how-much-is-the-madden-nfl-video-game-franchise-worth/

Still not shabby for not being their number 1 money maker.

I think Madden will around for a few more years doing the yearly thing.