Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
scbalt52

Call of Duty Black Ops 4

Recommended Posts

Anyone play the beta? I did, I thought the battle royale (blackout) mode was really fun. I enjoyed it much more than Fortnite, and more than PUBG. I plan on getting the game, I was mainly interested in the zombies mode (usually this COD company makes better zombie modes than last years, although I like WW2). This blackout mode being legit has me really excited. I had a lot of fun over the weekend playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I preordered it for my son and he got to play it this weekend. He said he really liked Blackout. It seemed like it had a little lag. I assume they are still working on some bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Munson said:

I preordered it for my son and he got to play it this weekend. He said he really liked Blackout. It seemed like it had a little lag. I assume they are still working on some bugs.

Yeah I didn't have too much lag, I crashed a few times but overall it played pretty smoothly for me. They already announced several good improvements to the game on release and definitely a few bugs to work out which is expected with a beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think of all the extra money these guys have made, with all the updates and variations, and everybody having to keep up. :)

I went and looked it up, there are 15 games, not counting add-ons and DLCs.

Quote
  • Call of Duty - 29 Oct, 2003
  • Call of Duty: United Offensive - 15 Sep, 2004
  • Call of Duty: Finest Hour - Dec, 3, 2004
  • Call of Duty 2: Big Red 1 - Nov, 1, 2005
  • Call of Duty 2 - Oct 25, 2005

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_series

I also found this tidbit fascinating:

Quote

In three short days, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 made $550 million, or about £361 million, AU$780 million. That's more than any film opening, book launch or CD in 2015, combined.

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/activision-made-more-money-in-one-weekend-than-eight-countries-did-in-a-year-1308748

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I also found this tidbit fascinating:

 

Remember that quote the next time one of these multi-BILLION dollar companies cries about not being profitable without micro-transactions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, Elbren said:

Remember that quote the next time one of these multi-BILLION dollar companies cries about not being profitable without micro-transactions.

Supply and demand, if there wasn't a demand, then they wouldn't do it. :)

Much like EA Sports and Madden whatever it is, got to spend that $65 and get the latest greatest every single season or release Halloween #33. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Supply and demand, if there wasn't a demand, then they wouldn't do it. :)

Much like EA Sports and Madden whatever it is, got to spend that $65 and get the latest greatest every single season or release Halloween #33. :)

They don't even care about yearly iterations anymore.  They've actually been talking on-and-off the past couple of years about doing away w/ the yearly iterations and going w/ "live services".  THAT is how much money is there to be had from micro-transactions. (yes, people are that stupid)  People (at least here, in the States) are always talking about Madden, but the realty is, Madden isn't their big money maker.  It's the FIFA franchise.  FIFA Ultimate Team (FIFA's multiplayer component that's based around randomized card packs) is quite literally a billion dollar money making machine for EA.  It makes so much money, they've been slowly trying to push this into other games, like Battlefront II.  It makes so much money, they actually canceled Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and closed Visceral Studios because they saw no realistic way of shoehorning a MTX system into the game.  She literally had an EA executive look at her and ask, "Yeah ... but how are we going to make a billion dollars off of this, like FIFA Ultimate Team?"

Recent Jim Sterling video about how much money is being made by companies like Ubisoft, EA and Activision/Blizzard ... despite what they say when they close development studios.

Warning: language NSFW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elbren said:

They don't even care about yearly iterations anymore.  They've actually been talking on-and-off the past couple of years about doing away w/ the yearly iterations and going w/ "live services".  THAT is how much money is there to be had from micro-transactions. (yes, people are that stupid)  People (at least here, in the States) are always talking about Madden, but the realty is, Madden isn't their big money maker.  It's the FIFA franchise.  FIFA Ultimate Team (FIFA's multiplayer component that's based around randomized card packs) is quite literally a billion dollar money making machine for EA.  It makes so much money, they've been slowly trying to push this into other games, like Battlefront II.  It makes so much money, they actually canceled Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and closed Visceral Studios because they saw no realistic way of shoehorning a MTX system into the game.  She literally had an EA executive look at her and ask, "Yeah ... but how are we going to make a billion dollars off of this, like FIFA Ultimate Team?"

Recent Jim Sterling video about how much money is being made by companies like Ubisoft, EA and Activision/Blizzard ... despite what they say when they close development studios.

Warning: language NSFW

 

Sad that Madden sports is only a 4 billion dollar industry. :)

https://moneyinc.com/how-much-is-the-madden-nfl-video-game-franchise-worth/

Still not shabby for not being their number 1 money maker.

I think Madden will around for a few more years doing the yearly thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • There was no binding deal made in March. If there was the players would be suing the league.  You have chosen to ignore facts and logic to fit your preconceived notions.  I am not sure what you have to gain by putting forth an illogical untruthful narrative.
    • Ok, I really am not going to read any more until tomorrow but I couldn't let this stand. I know I am just a small country lawyer and you are a noted labor law expert, but please advise me as to the total lack of logic into my argument. That is great news about teams not having to honor the CBA, I assume that goes for the players too. I guess all the players are free agents now, I hope we sign Mike Trout! Glad that Davis contract albatross is no longer hanging around the Orioles necks! The bottom line is that the owners made a lousy deal in March. It happens. The players have made many missteps in previous CBA negotiations, from not foreseeing the collapse in the free market for mid-range players to not trying to stake a claim early on into MLBAM and other ancillary rights. My belief is that the owners were unrealistically optimistic about the thought of things returning to normal faster than the experts said. Their thought process was likely something along the lines of, "We will be playing by June 1st, and we sell fewer tickets in April and May so getting the players on a one-third discount will be a great deal, maybe we can even increase the number of games played in the summer and make more money off split gate double headers!". They also likely were overly focused on shortening the draft to achieve their long-term goal of cutting minor league teams and saving a few million dollars on the margin.  Unfortunately, actions have consequences, MLB made a bad deal and have to live with the consequences. Maybe they should fire some of the yes-men who assured them that the season will start with fans in mid-May. Maybe they should fire the lawyers that they paid $800+ an hour to negotiate the contract with MLBPA for failing to properly negotiate for the possibility of playing without fans to better insulate themselves from potential losses.  I see both sides, but both sides don't need to compromise. The time for compromise was in March, when the deal was made. A compromise was reached, amateur players got screwed, MLB players got a short term loan (or payment if the season was canceled) to tide themselves over, MLB got cost certainty, and likely (mistakenly) believed that they had pulled one over on the players by cutting their salaries while still being able to hold all the major events of the season and play in front of fans. Now MLB has to honor the deal by paying the players on a pro-rated basis, or open their books and prove to the players that they would lose more money doing that than they would canceling the season. The MLBPA doesn't owe x amount of profitability to MLB, in much the same way that the league doesn't share profits with them. It is a business arrangement entered into by professionals with highly paid lawyers who are among the best in their field. Unfortunately for MLB, it looks like this deal is going to bite them in the behind. It isn't up to the players to bail them out. Hope to hear more constructive comments tomorrow, I am off to enjoy my birthday!  
    • Debate strategy 101: Start by telling your opponent they're totally illogical, and close by telling your opponent their argument is total nonsense.  Only when you've accepted this can we craft a compromise that benefits everyone.
    • I guess the Sabres and Devils have quit screaming.  It appears that a format for the Stanley Cup playoffs has been determined. Twelve teams from each conference make the playoffs.  The teams that finished fifth through twelfth in the regular-season standings will pair off in five-game series, with No. 5 playing No. 12, No. 6 playing No. 11, and so on for the right to advance to the next round.  The teams that finished first through fourth will automatically advance to the next round, but will not automatically be seeded in  the order of the final regular-season standings.  While the fifth through twelfth teams are playing their five-game series, the first four teams will play a round-robin series against each other to determine who will be seeded first, second, third, and fourth for the second round. It's not clear how the seeding would work if the round-robin series results in two teams with 2-1 records and two teams with 1-2, or three teams with 2-1 records and one with 0-3. And they still haven't worked out the details of where and when the games can be played. But at least they don't seem to be squabbling about money, as the baseball players are doing.
    • How about we pick to not skip any seasons?  That would be my preference.
    • That's freakin' great Rick! 😛  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...