Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

We say goodbye to Buck and Adam

If it comes down to the final series of the season (we host the Astros) how should fans thank Adam and Buck? Or should they at all? After all, we don't even know if this IS their last hurrah as Orioles. Adam has been a great Oriole for about a decade, Buck led the Orioles to the post season multiple times in his 8 years as manager.But with the noncommittal Oriole management on their future..how should Oriole fans offer their appreciation for great jobs over the years of both people?

• Upvote 1

I’m sure Adam will get some standing O’s in the final homestand.   I imagine if Buck gets the chance, he’ll pull him from the final game while he’s in the field so he can get an ovation.   

As to Buck, not much you can do.   Bring a sign to the stadium, I guess.

I'd like to think a warm a fuzzy final series is coming... If everyone wallows in a pig sty, it is pretty difficult for anyone to come out smelling like a rose.  The stench is on everything here.

That said, I am going to try to make the last game with my son.  And will try to be gracious and positive towards Buck and Aj by remembering how much they meant to the good years.

For Adam, maybe his last assumed at-bat fans can stand and applaud.

As for Buck, I am sure he will make at least 4 visits to the mound in that last game to yank the pitcher, so everyone in attendance can give him a standing ovation each time. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

For Adam, maybe his last assumed at-bat fans can stand and applaud.

As for Buck, I am sure he will make at least 4 visits to the mound in that last game to yank the pitcher, so everyone in attendance can give him a standing ovation each time. 

I doubt Buck is going to make a pitching change, in order, to get a standing ovation.

• Haha 1

These two guys played pivotal roles in the mini-turnaround of this franchise.   I will definitely miss both of these guys, but I think it's time to move on from them.     

That being said, if Jones and/or Buck aren't extended by the last game, there's no guarantee one way or the other of their returns.   So, I guess there's really no way of giving them a proper send off.   I would imagine that Buck will pull Jones during the game and let him go off the field with the 5,000 fans in attendance giving him a nice round of applause.  Shame it couldn't have happened after a World Series game 7 this season for Adam.  He's been a great member of the team and the community.

As for Buck, I hope we hear of his fate before the last home game, so at least that way he'll be able to receive some nice accolades from the crowd.   Hopefully, they would do a nice video tribute to him, as he so richly deserves.  He played a big part in bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore.   For that, I will be grateful. 

Thanks to both of these fine men.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

If it comes down to the final series of the season (we host the Astros) how should fans thank Adam and Buck? Or should they at all? After all, we don't even know if this IS their last hurrah as Orioles. Adam has been a great Oriole for about a decade, Buck led the Orioles to the post season multiple times in his 8 years as manager.But with the noncommittal Oriole management on their future..how should Oriole fans offer their appreciation for great jobs over the years of both people?

If I could  tell them I would say thank you. 

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I doubt Buck is going to make a pitching change, in order, to get a standing ovation.

I didn't mean to imply that he would....I just meant that inevitably he will have to go out to the mound to make multiple pitching changes because the Astros are great and we are terrible....so while he is doing that, fans can give him standing Os. 

Just saw Texas fired Bannister......with a week and a half to go.  Interesting.  And he is over .500 for his 4 years in Texas. 

o

I was at Melvin Mora's final game as an Oriole, which was the last game of the season in 2009. 

When Dave Trembley removed him from the game for a pinch-hitter, we gave him a well-deserved standing ovation.

o

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

I didn't mean to imply that he would....I just meant that inevitably he will have to go out to the mound to make multiple pitching changes because the Astros are great and we are terrible....so while he is doing that, fans can give him standing Os. 

Just saw Texas fired Bannister......with a week and a half to go.  Interesting.  And he is over .500 for his 4 years in Texas. 

My apologies.

Actually, I was thinking, if Buck truly knows, he isn't sticking here, I wonder if he doesn't slip out quietly and let his assistants coach the last series.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My apologies.

Actually, I was thinking, if Buck truly knows, he isn't sticking here, I wonder if he doesn't slip out quietly and let his assistants coach the last series.

Who knows what he actually knows.  The Orioles remind me of the person behind the counter at an airport gate who will not get on the microphone and say anything in regards to why your flight out is delayed as the minutes and hours pass by.  Rooting for the Orioles is like rooting for that person.