Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

We say goodbye to Buck and Adam

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah..We should have kept the pinch hitter. 

If you look at Justin Turner's stats on Baseball Reference and you look at the list of most similar players through age 32.  #2 on the list is Melvin Mora.  

11 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not to be confused with the former Yankees or Diamondbacks manager

He was connecting Buck with Bannister, who was fired as manager yesterday. Now both former Rangers managers.

18 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

These two guys played pivotal roles in the mini-turnaround of this franchise.   I will definitely miss both of these guys, but I think it's time to move on from them.     

That being said, if Jones and/or Buck aren't extended by the last game, there's no guarantee one way or the other of their returns.   So, I guess there's really no way of giving them a proper send off.   I would imagine that Buck will pull Jones during the game and let him go off the field with the 5,000 fans in attendance giving him a nice round of applause.  Shame it couldn't have happened after a World Series game 7 this season for Adam.  He's been a great member of the team and the community.

As for Buck, I hope we hear of his fate before the last home game, so at least that way he'll be able to receive some nice accolades from the crowd.   Hopefully, they would do a nice video tribute to him, as he so richly deserves.  He played a big part in bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore.   For that, I will be grateful. 

Thanks to both of these fine men.

A tribute video for someone you are about to fire would seem awkward.  Sort of a, "Thanks for the memories, Buck.  Now grab your stuff and get the hell outta here!"

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

A tribute video for someone you are about to fire would seem awkward.  Sort of a, "Thanks for the memories, Buck.  Now grab your stuff and get the hell outta here!"

Perfect!

22 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I doubt Buck is going to make a pitching change, in order, to get a standing ovation.

I think he's saying the pitching is bad enough that atleast 4 changes will be necessary. Not that Buck will do it on purpose 

Anyone remember at Memorial Stadium when the other team would replace its pitcher, the O’s would play “Take This Job and Shove It!” over the loudspeakers?   With two outs in the 9th, the cameras could pan on Buck and Adam and they could play that song!

4 hours ago, SeaBird said:

Sorry, not sorry!

On 9/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, Tony-OH said:

I think if the Orioles do not intend to bring Buck back they should do him the honor by announcing that before the last series so fans can get a chance to thank him. I know it would be a bit weird, but I think the fans should have an opportunity to thank a man who has worked hard, and done his best for the organization and helped bring winning back after 14 losing years regardless of the current shape of the team.

I see what you're saying, but I think Buck would be embarrassed if that happened.  JMO, but I think if the team announced that they weren't retaining him, even in a well meaning gesture as you describe, he wouldn't like that.

I think and hope that the fans in attendance are smart enough to know that he won't be back, and will show him and Adam some love. 

Whatever they decide, it needs to be done early next week.  Here's an interesting footnote to the Thrift days

I can only imagine the grousing that Showalter would do if a “Buck Day” were proposed. It would never work. But don’t do the opposite. Don’t leave him – and his coaching staff and Duquette and his administration – swinging in the wind once the season closes because their contracts are good through October. Provide clarity immediately.

I keep harping on this because I have seen the opposite happen multiple times in the years I’ve covered this team. The most glaring example was at the end of 2002, after the Orioles had dropped 32 of their final 36. Then-GM Syd Thrift, whose contract was expiring, was obviously out, and the Orioles held a press conference to announce the dual hiring of Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan to run the front office.

Thrift attended the press conference. Weird. We interviewed him afterward, and he said he was still a member of the organization and would help Beattie and Flanagan. Weirder.

The truth is Thrift was fired but no one had told him. Peter Angelos, who liked Thrift as a person, didn’t order anyone to dismiss him. So, the old baseball man kind of hung around for a while, wasn’t included in any of the reindeer games and, eventually, he went away.

Sadly, that wasn’t an isolated incident. There have been several examples within the organization of phasing out or letting contracts expire quietly instead of ripping off the Band-Aid and leveling with someone that their services were no longer needed.

How about this for an O's management ending?  Both Buck and Dan get tired of the game and tell the Brothers Angelos, "I found another job. Bye, thanks for the memories." Then the A brothers get to say, "Hey, how about that. They quit on us and left us in the lurch. How's that for gratitude? We would have paid them till the end of the month. Now what will we do?" A most fitting ending to the story.  lol

Maybe Buck will be a surprise member of the postseason TV coverage team.  That would be the best outcome.  I feel sorry for Buck.  I know he would come back to manage even if this team lost 150 games.  I feel that his voice is no longer heard by the team and with his obvious preference for veterans its time to move on to someone else.