weams

Per Nightengale: Dan Stays, Buck Goes.

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

This is what I’d say. Duquette is ok, but I know there were some bad moves that were on him. 

I'd say that you are right. 

44 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

For those people that are saying John and Lou's apparent decision to nix Showalter and keep Duquette along shows that they now have the power, what does it say that they want to promote Brady? 

The Orioles were lucky to have Buck for as long as they did. I'm going to miss him. It's going to be brutal for awhile. Maybe they're just going to throw some random, young former player as manager to take orders from Duquette...so maybe it really doesn't matter because the end product is going to absolutely suck for awhile.

My only other thought about Duquette is that I don't think he's an awful GM. I just know there are better options. But those better options probably don't want to be anywhere near this dumpster fire of an organization due to the severe talent dearth. The trades made at the trade deadline didn't net nearly the amount of talent as they should have. And that's what really irks me about Duquette. If he's supposed to have control...those trades were incredibly lackluster. Especially the Gausman debacle. He had some awesome deals early on his tenure here. But since those first few years? Not so much.

So, yeah. I think Duquette is an averagish GM. I guess we could do worse.

I am of the opinion that if I am a confident, ambitious young assistant GM, that an organization at this depth of disaster would be a plus in my eyes, not a deterrent professionally.  Any improvement at all and I am the genius.  If it fails, well, it is the Angelos, you know.  I think it is a no lose situation for the first time GM...sort if like a young Duquette going to tne Expos. 

If I am an experienced GM somewhere else, yeah, coming here would not be attractive...but, for the first time GM?  Ideal. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am of the opinion that if I am a confident, ambitious young assistant GM, that an organization at this depth of disaster would be a plus in my eyes, not a deterrent professionally.  Any improvement at all and I am the genius.  If it fails, well, it is the Angelos, you know.  I think it is a no lose situation for the first time GM...sort if like a young Duquette going to tne Expos. 

If I am an experienced GM somewhere else, yeah, coming here would not be attractive...but, for the first time GM?  Ideal. 

Confident, ambitious , young GM's want to win.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DD finally gets to hire his manager.  Of course will people actually want the job?  They only have to deal with,

- a 3-4 year rebuild (that they will likely rack up a terrible record and be fired for)

- Work with Ownership. 

- Work with DD

I have a feeling we are going to go really young and/or former player with ties to DD. Jason Varitek?  

Let's just hire Caleb Joseph.

3 minutes ago, mcneck said:

Confident, ambitious , young GM's want to win.

Hey....Houston Astros were a disaster area...Milwaukee was a disaster area...Cleveland was a disaster area, etc. etc. ....GMs coming into a disaster can only go up...can’t go down.   I think young analytic GMs primarily want to build something and that the redesign, rebuild aspect has a lot if appeal. It would to me, anyways.

If a new GM comes into an established winner like Red Sox or Yankees...well, there is not much room for error... win  immediately expectations. 

6 hours ago, weams said:

Right move and I love Buck but time to move on. Give the job to Buck Britton, nice guy and why does it matter?

6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Right move and I love Buck but time to move on. Give the job to Buck Britton, nice guy and why does it matter?

I said give it to Dusty. Or his son. 

• Like 1