connja

Top Manager Candidates

13 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

All I’m saying is if the Reds can get an interview we should be able to. I’d much rather at least know we tried to get a top tier manager than just go with bordick or Dempsey and keep on keeping on with Our big league AA team. 

A good point.  

I'm not getting hopes up, though.  Whoever the next manager is, is getting a roster thats full of young talent and needs to be developed.  I'm not interested in big names, more interested in who's the best manager for a young squad.

35 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Why. Just because he managed the Yankees?  Dude is a great manager and would bring a level of professionalism needed for a young team. He said not going to sit quietly and put Davis in the lineup every day either. Hit or sit. Who cares where someone managed before we need to build a prerrennial winner not the best retiree cruise. 

What makes Girardi a great manager in your view? He seems like a jerk to me. (And yes - the fact that he managed the Yankees is enough to cross him off my list.)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who got fired?

Okay Buck was more or less not offered a new contract. My point is Buck being a longtime associate shouldn’t have figured with his hiring. May the best man get the job.

Just now, Palmoripken said:

Okay Buck was more or less not offered a new contract. My point is Buck being a longtime associate shouldn’t have figured with his hiring. May the best man get the job.

Yankees association rather. Sorry CoC. I’m off today. Been awhile since I have talked baseball and I’ve missed it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

What makes Girardi a great manager in your view? He seems like a jerk to me. (And yes - the fact that he managed the Yankees is enough to cross him off my list.)

He was manager of the year in his first and only season with the Marlins.  Everyone in the league was high on him, fans players, reporters everyone.  If he had accepted the Os offer in 2007 everyone here would love him.  He took the better offer at the time but boy what he could have done here.  

He was fantastic with the media in NYC even when he was constantly in the spotlight due to his celebrity players and off field antics.  He fiercely stands up for his players and puts them in their place when needed, he uses analytics but isn't completely controlled by the numbers.  Players  (yankees and opposition) describe him as patient and quiet until he needs to be and calm throughout any pressure.  Heres an article from 2014 that lays out how he pulled a woeful (for Yankee standards) team into competition.   I know he wont come here but I think it would be a huge step in the right direction to get an interview.  A real honest top of the list guy.  Show you are trying to pull this ship in the right direction.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Billy is making more with the network then the O's will pay him.

Life is about more than $$$.

29 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

With that kind of attitude we never would have had the great Lee Mazzilli era!

• Haha 2

There are organizations that seem to be good at developing young players, and especially young pitchers.   St Louis, Atlanta, Tampa, maybe Oakland.   I'd like to see us pluck a manager out of one of those minor league organizations.

Tossing around names like Girardi is a waste of time, it's not relevant to what we are trying to do here.  As for Billy, yeah, he seems to have a good background and knowledge.   But has he ever been a manager at any level?   Has he ever been the decision-maker for a team, the media representative, etc?

• Upvote 2

It would seem to me that having some input into the Chris Davis situation would be a requirement that any managerial candidate should have. Perhaps Dan, if he remains, has already dealt with it with the Angelos sons. 

Regardless of how bad the team will be, that albatross should not be placed on the new person. 

I like the idea of Billy with Bobby Dickerson to help groom the young talent to top level competition, with the added need of a top flight pitching coach

2 hours ago, TGO said:

I would definitely have him on my interview list.

I played for him in the Red Sox Organization for 3 years at different levels. Every player on every team all said the same thing. They’d all run through a brick wall for the guy. Players love him and he’s had success managing in the minors and big league staff’s. 

• Thanks 1

You know who should be on the Orioles interview list? Not one person unless the new Executive in charge of Baseball Operations wants to .

3 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I think Carlos Beltran might be a great below-the-radar choice. 

MSK 

He's never managed before but it could be a neat choice. Perhaps the younger guys could do well with a guy who they grew up watching. Plus he's bilingual, great skill to have not just in the modern game but period. I have no idea what they're looking for but I would look for someone young and eager to prove themselves. Ditto with GM. . 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Palmoripken said:

He's never managed before but it could be a neat choice. Perhaps the younger guys could do well with a guy who they grew up watching. Plus he's bilingual, great skill to have not just in the modern game but period. I have no idea what they're looking for but I would look for someone young and eager to prove themselves. Ditto with GM. . 

Again. No interviews of managers. Just interview your GMs. Pick one. And let him chose the manager himself.