Jump to content
connja

Top Manager Candidates

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd still see if Girardi would want the job honestly. 

I think the price is 1.5  per year. Would he work for that?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the price is 1.5  per year. Would he work for that?

No reason to spend that much on a manager for the next two or three years. We should be able to get a pretty good manager in  the $700,000 - 900,000 range for a few years years. When the team is ready to compete, pay him more if he's a keeper or get someone with more experience if he's not.

Here's how much the lowest paid managers make in 2018. No sense over-spending.

  • Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks: $900,000 
  • Davey Martinez, Washington Nationals: $850,000 
  • Mickey Callaway, New York Mets: $850,000 
  • Gabe Kapler, Philadelphia Phillies: $803,000 
  • Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox: $800,000 
  • Scott Servais, Seattle Mariners: $800,000 
  • Brian Snitker, Atlanta Braves: $800,000 
  • @Jim Riggleman, Cincinnati Reds: $700,000 (prorated) 
  • @Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals: $700,00 (prorated) 
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mdbdotcom said:

No reason to spend that much on a manager for the next two or three years. We should be able to get a pretty good manager in  the $700,000 - 900,000 range for a few years years. When the team is ready to compete, pay him more if he's a keeper or get someone with more experience if he's not.

Here's how much the lowest paid managers make in 2018. No sense over-spending.

  • Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks: $900,000 
  • Davey Martinez, Washington Nationals: $850,000 
  • Mickey Callaway, New York Mets: $850,000 
  • Gabe Kapler, Philadelphia Phillies: $803,000 
  • Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox: $800,000 
  • Scott Servais, Seattle Mariners: $800,000 
  • Brian Snitker, Atlanta Braves: $800,000 
  • @Jim Riggleman, Cincinnati Reds: $700,000 (prorated) 
  • @Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals: $700,00 (prorated) 

Stand corrected. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Buck Britton.

I really like Buck Britton and I think he is going to be a big league manager eventually, but he needs years more seasoning in the minors before he's an option. A big part of that is that he's 32 years old, now this shouldn't matter, but I'm 100% sure it does. Being younger than some of the players on the team will make it harder to command respect and authority. Again it shouldn't matter, but it does, it's just human nature. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I really like Buck Britton and I think he is going to be a big league manager eventually, but he needs years more seasoning in the minors before he's an option. A big part of that is that he's 32 years old, now this shouldn't matter, but I'm 100% sure it does. Being younger than some of the players on the team will make it harder to command respect and authority. Again it shouldn't matter, but it does, it's just human nature. 

Sounds kind of like how Showalter began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see a career minor league manager, a patient low-key player development guy, getting the manager job for 2-3 years. And then, as the fall guy, he will be replaced by a hotshot young manager. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, connja said:

With the report around Buck being out, started thinking about top manager candidates.  Hope they go with a younger former player, rather than an older retread.   Sandy Alomar Jr?  Lot of former catchers make good managers.

Here is an article from the spring that shares some names.

https://www.mlb.com/news/here-are-some-future-mlb-managerial-candidates/c-272950502

 

 

 

I agree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Don't know if it will be popular here but I like Brad Ausmus

I liked him when he was catching for the Stros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I can see a career minor league manager, a patient low-key player development guy, getting the manager job for 2-3 years. And then, as the fall guy, he will be replaced by a hotshot young manager. 

Seems to be a pretty common thing for rebuilding teams to upgrade their manager when they're ready to compete again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Seems to be a pretty common thing for rebuilding teams to upgrade their manager when they're ready to compete again.

So Kevin Cash should be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

So Kevin Cash should be available.

He may prove to be the exception to the rule. Rays can't afford anyone who makes more, and he's done a great job this year.

Let's see what happens if/when they move into the new ballpark in Tampa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Dare I say... Brady Anderson?

giphy.gif

Just so he can activate himself!

 

 

 

Too funny! Well played.

On a side note, I grew up with the pitcher in that clip. I played several sports with him as a teammate. Very good dude. He would probably love to plunk Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I really like Buck Britton and I think he is going to be a big league manager eventually, but he needs years more seasoning in the minors before he's an option. A big part of that is that he's 32 years old, now this shouldn't matter, but I'm 100% sure it does. Being younger than some of the players on the team will make it harder to command respect and authority. Again it shouldn't matter, but it does, it's just human nature. 

Who? Davis and Joseph? Davis should welcome anyone who even considers writing his name in the lineup. And Joseph seems like he’d be happy with a new direction.

I think Britton would be a good choice, but don’t see them doing anything so bold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...