Elbren

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My dad always said "the more you hate a villain, the better the actor/actress they are."

That being said, the woman who played Dolores Umbridge should get an Oscar nomination. Heh.

That's Imelda Staunton, who already has an Oscar nomination under her belt.

Bah, the summer movies I had seen up til Harry Potter were very enjoyable. I found this movie to be very slow for the majority of the film. Things were happening but they weren't exciting and they were very predictable. At the end, the action picks up very fast and before you know it the movie is over and you don't even realize what has happened. However, I did like the new character intros and enjoyed watching Ginny and Neville start to grow into bigger parts. The ending leaves much to be desired. I guess it's supposed to in some way but I wanted some closure, especially with Cho. I've always said making a movie from a book is the hardest task for a director. A good book can turn into a bad movie and while I wouldn't go as far to say that this is a bad movie, I'd say this is the worst movie in the Harry Potter saga so far. That is my review.

P.S. The seventh and final book should end with Harry Potter roundhouse kicking Voldemort, Chuck Norris style. :)

That's Imelda Staunton, who already has an Oscar nomination under her belt.

The crazy thing about Staunton is she was nominated for a role in which she played the direct opposite of Umbridge(unless you think abortion is evil, I guess). I was arguing recently with a friend of mine about the nature of a performer/artist(he was arguing that Michael Bay is the "only director" who could possibly make Transformers a good popcorn flick) and I was saying that a good artist should have the ability to put their talent towards a wide range of art. Spielberg, for example, has directed just about every type of movie out there. The only exposure to Staunton I've had was Vera Drake, in which she spent the entire second half of the movie crying. She was an unbelievably sympathetic character, like your affectionate grandmother. When I heard she was going to be Umbridge I thought it was the perfect choice, cause she strikes me as the type of talent who can play anything. I wasn't disappointed.

I liked the movie. No where near as good as the book, but the movies never are. I did think it should have been longer. This was the longest book and the shortest movie, which didn't make any sense to me. They could have gone another 20-30 minutes without dragging. The movie was almost like a "Order of the Phoenix" greatest hits compilation, I thought it moved that quickly. There was very little nuance. Every scene sort of hit you in the head and jumped to the next scene.

The only thing I had a huge problem with was changing how the DA members were caught. That was completely bogus, IMO.

Casting was perfect as always, though. All of the new characters were played almost exactly as I pictured them. And most of the old actors turned in excellent performances as well. Gary Oldman in particular finally got to take his character out for a spin and did a great job, I thought.

In some cases, I think they include/exclude stuff based on what makes for a cool visual. Flying on broomsticks over the Thames at night definitely makes that list. I'm glad they included it. Would they be seen? I don't know, who cares? That wasn't the point of the scene.

My only issue with this was that (in the book) the security on Harry was soooooo tight. IIRC, the formation was: one or two adults in front of him, one to two behind him; one on either side; and one/two flying above and below. He was completely surrounded. To take it from that to flying right next to a cruise ship was a bit much IMO.

As for Snape's worst memory, if it were that vital to book 7, Rowling probably would have asked them not to cut so much of it. I think I've heard that she's around during the screenwriting process advising them on what scenes should or should not be cut, based on their importance to future books. It did seem odd that the scene was so truncated, though.

I think the main crux of the book and movie scenes of Snape’s worst memory was to show Harry (and by extension, the audience) that James wasn’t as ideally perfect as Harry believed. The movie scene did that, but not to the extent that the book scene did. Also, the movie scene did not include Lily's "rescue" of Snape, and Snape's derision of the "mudblood." Hmmmm.

The Dementors part did confuse me. I need a refresher again-- why did Umbridge sent the Dementors after Harry? As a plot to get him expelled, or to kill him?

Both? ;) Actually, IIRC, it was kinda hinted at in the books that she authorized the Dementor attack without Fudge’s knowledge. She was so devoted to Fudge (perhaps more than just politically :eek:) that she would do anything to help him out. At that time, his biggest problem(s) were Harry and Dumbledore spouting off about Voldie returning. Dementors soul-suck Harry - Harry is gone, and Dumbledore is discredited. Harry fights off Dementors - Harry is expelled and both he and Dumbledore are discredited. Either result is a "win" for Fudge.

I thought the acting was fine, with the exception of whoever played Luna Lovegood (she was playing up the "spaced-out" thing a little too much). For me it's 3 or 3 1/2 out of four. OotP is my favorite Harry Potter book, so the screen translation couldn't help but be good, IMO.

I actually thought the Luna depiction was perfect. She was exactly how I had envisioned her.

The only thing I had a huge problem with was changing how the DA members were caught. That was completely bogus, IMO.

Initially, I thought this too (I’m assuming you mean Cho being the snitch rather than her friend). (I would've liked to have seen Cho (or whoever) with "Sneak" in pimple blemishes across their face, though. ;)) However, the difference is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. In the book, Harry and the DA members blamed Cho for bringing the snitching friend into the DA. The movie just cuts out the middleman (while still keeping "the gang turns on Cho" aspect). I loved the dirty look Ginny shot Cho at one point, though. hehehehee

The physicality in the casting of Imelda Staunton as Umbridge bothered me. Umbridge was supposed to short and squat, with a face like a toad. In the movie, she looked like Queen Elizabeth!! (And what a bizarre commentary that is.) That being said, Staunton acted out Umbridge's evilness and sadism very well. I quickly got over the "she doesn't look like Umbridge" thing. ;)

Witchy

Initially, I thought this too (I’m assuming you mean Cho being the snitch rather than her friend). (I would've liked to have seen Cho (or whoever) with "Sneak" in pimple blemishes across their face, though. ;)) However, the difference is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. In the book, Harry and the DA members blamed Cho for bringing the snitching friend into the DA. The movie just cuts out the middleman (while still keeping "the gang turns on Cho" aspect). I loved the dirty look Ginny shot Cho at one point, though. hehehehee

I guess that's true. I forgot that in the book they initially blame Cho. Good point.

But the other part of what I'm talking about is what square634 said, how Umbridge just busts through the wall. I mean, in the movie, Filch knew the whole time they were in there. If Umbridge could just bust through the wall, why didn't she do it from the start? The book's scenario makes much more sense (she doesn't know where they meet until Cho's friend tells her, and even then she has to have Malfoy and his cronies wait outside the door until they come out). As square634 said, the movie basically ruins the whole premise of the Room of Requirement. And as I'm sure you recall, that room is important in book 6! ;)

I guess that's true. I forgot that in the book they initially blame Cho. Good point.

But the other part of what I'm talking about is what square634 said, how Umbridge just busts through the wall. I mean, in the movie, Filch knew the whole time they were in there. If Umbridge could just bust through the wall, why didn't she do it from the start? The book's scenario makes much more sense (she doesn't know where they meet until Cho's friend tells her, and even then she has to have Malfoy and his cronies wait outside the door until they come out). As square634 said, the movie basically ruins the whole premise of the Room of Requirement. And as I'm sure you recall, that room is important in book 6!

Yeah the fact that Cho is the snitch isn't a big deal. And I can sorta understand it if they say Umbridge can break through the door after Cho snitches. But the fact that Filch knew that they were meeting and even where they were meeting kind of ruins the point because Umbridge could have just had them all expelled once Filch told her. This particular thing isn't a huge deal, but it's just an example of when they change something in the book to a much worse and more illogical situation for no apparent reason.

By the way, I forgot in my initial rant to give props to the director for adding goats into the Hog's Head. That is the type of nuance they should add more of that only people familiar with the books would understand.

Four more days (and six hours)!!

I haven't seen it yet, but do they also include Cho's obvious depression/using Harry as a crutch re: Cedric? I can see them cutting that, and if they do, that's another reason to make her the "snitch."

I haven't seen it yet, but do they also include Cho's obvious depression/using Harry as a crutch re: Cedric? I can see them cutting that, and if they do, that's another reason to make her the "snitch."

They had a little bit of that, which I think was sufficient considering the restraints put on a movie.

But the other part of what I'm talking about is what square634 said, how Umbridge just busts through the wall. I mean, in the movie, Filch knew the whole time they were in there. If Umbridge could just bust through the wall, why didn't she do it from the start? The book's scenario makes much more sense (she doesn't know where they meet until Cho's friend tells her, and even then she has to have Malfoy and his cronies wait outside the door until they come out). As square634 said, the movie basically ruins the whole premise of the Room of Requirement. And as I'm sure you recall, that room is important in book 6! ;)

This was somewhat touched on when Umbridge had Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, and Neville in her clutches prior to their Ministry of Magic rescue mission. She requested that Snape bring the Veritaserum -- to which Snape replied that Umbridge had already used all of his stores of it, particluarly on Ms. Cho. (Now that I think about this, did I mis-hear this? Shouldn't he have said "Ms. Chang"? Need to see the movie again.....)

I would imagine (although we didn't see the scene in the book or movie) that once the student (Cho's friend in the book/Cho in the movie) gave up the Room of Requirement and it's secret, it would be quite easy for Umbridge to find it and the DA. All she'd have to do is walk past the RoR and think/state "I need to find that room and catch those students red-handed!". My 2 knuts. ;)

Witchy

I'm sorry, but anybody with any sense of story telling knew it was gonna get really nasty at some point from the word go. The story opens with the BRUTAL MURDER of Harry's parents, by a wizard who is responsible for the BRUTAL MURDERING OR MAIMING of many other people. All the while, they hint, very strongly, that said dark wizard will be returning in the near future...

Did these people think that this time around, Voldemort was going to hold country dances and hand out free lemonade and hug everyone and pay it forward?? Jesus tapdancing Christ, people are thick.

But then again, Roger Ebert DID write Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. He's got cred when it comes to story telling. :rolleyes:

LOVED the use of the word "thick" right there ;)