Frobby

Update: Tim Beckham and Caleb Joseph Non-tendered

Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?

32 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

This is Birdland. You have to get your excitement where you can.

Just hearing Birdland gives me flashbacks to the mid-2000’s Orioles and that awful marketing campaign.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Unk said:

What am I gonna do with my Swaggy T shirt?

It will one day be an epic collectible. Like a Randy Milligan Jersey. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He can afford to make decisions like this since we’re still in tear down mode.  

Those guys wouldn't help us win even if we weren't in tear down mode.  I dont understand people affinity for bad players like Joseph and Schoop.

When we lost a good player like Markakis everyone was happy to see him go.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

HEY.  Don't you dare equate the crappiness of Beckham with Randy Milligan, a man so far ahead of his time that no one understood how good he was.  

Randy Milligan had a chance at a decent career derailed by a knee injury at Oakland in 1990.  Put up a 155 OPS+ that year, but was never as good after the injury.  One of my favorite Orioles players ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK199008070.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/millira01.shtml

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Randy Milligan had a chance at a decent career derailed by a knee injury at Oakland in 1990.  Put up a 155 OPS+ that year, but was never as good after the injury.  One of my favorite Orioles players ever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK199008070.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/millira01.shtml

Career .391 OBP.  Moose sounds like he's joking but he's correct.

1992: 577 PA, 106 walks, 81 strikeouts.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dr. Unk said:

What am I gonna do with my Swaggy T shirt?

Wear it proudly on “Your Favorite Ex-Oriole Promo Shirt Night”, where I’ll break out my Hyun-Soon Kim shirt amidst a sea of Hakuna Machado and Nate McLouth “Wanted: Base Bandit” tees.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MMussina35 said:

I’ll miss Jo’s 2-3 clanks a game off his mit and his customary trip to the backstop to chase a ball down at the worst possible time. 

Just because he was non-tendered doesn't mean he won't be back.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

HEY.  Don't you dare equate the crappiness of Beckham with Randy Milligan, a man so far ahead of his time that no one understood how good he was.  

His .391 career OBP in more than 2,000 ABs would make him an All Star now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• A’s won their division.  WS didn’t and ended up a WC team.
    • Yea, Rutschman in AA makes sense to me although it wouldn’t shock me if they started him at Frederick, just to play in 10-20 games.  Rutschman never seeing AAA wouldn’t be surprising to me, so they could take this route of Frederick first to get his feet wet and then move to Bowie for most of the season. Gunnar probably starts in Frederick.  If he held his own at this camp, I don’t see why you have him in Delmarva.
    • The split season concept comes up occasionally, it was first used in the late 1800s for a year, then abandoned.  It's sometimes used in the minors, where no one cares about the postseason (or regular season for that matter).  Conceptually it's messed up because it gives a playoff birth to teams that got hot early no matter what they do the rest of the year.  So you're often giving a postseason birth to a team that just hasn't been good in months, and after injuries and trades may not even be comprised mainly of the players who got them the birth.
    • Not sure on Henderson, but I'm right there with you on Rutschman.  And don't forget... the O's have to plug in all of the players from last year's draft and all of the players from the 2020 trades. It will be interesting to see where they land, and I have to think there will be some strong roster competitions in our system. 
    • If you think this is a good ownership group, then I don’t know what to tell you.     And yes, they don’t know the revenue and while it’s a wait and see what Stroman gets, this offseason could also represent an offseason where you can get a player for less than you should, because of the uncertainty from everyone.  I think it’s a poor idea to let opportunities like that pass you by.  It’s a short term issue that you value over the long term good of the team and organization.  That’s poor management. But I don’t think that’s Elias’ fault.  It’s all on ownership.
    • Ehh, I don’t agree there. Hess, Kline, Sulser, Phillips, Valdez, Lakins, Lopez, Stewart, valazquez, Holaday, Wynns, Martin and Urias all could easily be cut. Eshelman, Valaika and Ruiz could also be easy cuts if you want to.     In other words, I think we will have more spots than bodies before even worrying about Nunez and the 40 man roster.
    • It’s also a relatively irrational thought that they won’t need him. In many ways, I’m 100% on board with what you are saying.  However, your outlook is talking about many things going right. Lets not forget that you actually need Mancini to come back and have his skills back.  You need Santander, Hays, Stewart and (eventually) Diaz to both play well and stay healthy, something none of these guys have consistently shown they can do. Nunez provides insurance for those issues. Now, The flip side To that is, who cares?  If those guys are hurt or aren’t performing, Nunez doesn’t keep us afloat or carry this team when they are out. He’s just another body, even if he is offensively one of the better players on the team.  I’m just not on board with losing him for free.  I think it’s a relatively poor move heading into the upcoming season, not just because I think he provides some value on the field but because of the insurance aspect I mentioned.  
  • Popular Contributors