Jump to content
Enjoy Terror

2018-19 Offseason Tracker

Recommended Posts

Would anyone trade the three years and the nearly $50 million remaining on Alex Cobb's contract to Seattle for two years of transitory outfielder Jay Bruce at $26 million?

Bruce could put up big numbers at Camden Yards but the O's starting rotation would be further depleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, health55 said:

Would anyone trade the three years and the nearly $50 million remaining on Alex Cobb's contract to Seattle for two years of transitory outfielder Jay Bruce at $26 million?

Bruce could put up big numbers at Camden Yards but the O's starting rotation would be further depleted.

No.

Mullins, Stewart, Hays, Diaz, McKenna, along with Rickard and Mancini (and Trumbo...) until they figure out what to do with them.

Orioles need a starting rotation, not someone else to clog up a spot where they have an excess of players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, health55 said:

Would anyone trade the three years and the nearly $50 million remaining on Alex Cobb's contract to Seattle for two years of transitory outfielder Jay Bruce at $26 million?

Bruce could put up big numbers at Camden Yards but the O's starting rotation would be further depleted.

Why would Seattle do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would Seattle do that?

The Mariners would trade from a surplus to address a deficiency.

The Seattle outfield is set with Mitch Haniger, Mallex Smith and Domingo Santana while the 1B/DH slots are crowded with Edwin Encarnacion, Jay Bruce, Ryon Healy and Daniel Vogelbach. The projected starting rotation remains thin with Marco Gonzales, Yusei Kikuchi, Mike Leake, Felix Hernandez and Wade LeBlanc.

Whereas Bruce's two-year contract does not extend into Seattle's anticipated window of contention, Cobb's three-year contract just might.

Or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, health55 said:

The Mariners would trade from a surplus to address a deficiency.

The Seattle outfield is set with Mitch Haniger, Mallex Smith and Domingo Santana while the 1B/DH slots are crowded with Edwin Encarnacion, Jay Bruce, Ryon Healy and Daniel Vogelbach. The projected starting rotation remains thin with Marco Gonzales, Yusei Kikuchi, Mike Leake, Felix Hernandez and Wade LeBlanc.

Whereas Bruce's two-year contract does not extend into Seattle's anticipated window of contention, Cobb's three-year contract just might.

Or not.

Aren't the Mariners rebuilding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aren't the Mariners rebuilding?

The Mariners reportedly have "stepped back" in 2019 and 2020 in hopes of competing in later years when Mitch Haniger, Marco Gonzales, Yusei Kikuchi, Mallex Smith, Domingo Santana, J.P. Crawford, Omar Narvaez, Justus Sheffield, Kyle Seager and possibly Mike Leake, Dee Gordon and Wade LeBlanc remain under team control.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, health55 said:

The Mariners reportedly have "stepped back" in 2019 and 2020 in hopes of competing in later years when Mitch Haniger, Marco Gonzales, Yusei Kikuchi, Mallex Smith, Domingo Santana, J.P. Crawford, Omar Narvaez, Justus Sheffield, Kyle Seager and possibly Mike Leake, Dee Gordon and Wade LeBlanc remain under team control.

Right, so they wouldn't want a Cobb on a three year deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, so they wouldn't want a Cobb on a three year deal.

Alex Cobb's contract runs through 2021, the latest the Mariners hope to contend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, health55 said:

Alex Cobb's contract runs through 2021, the latest the Mariners hope to contend.

They aren't going to be willing to pay for three years in the hopes that he has something left in year 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They aren't going to be willing to pay for three years in the hopes that he has something left in year 3.

Seattle might prefer that to paying Jay Bruce for two years. The trade would extend the window by one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Parker Bridwell is now available.

A thread exists if curious on OH thinking.  Weams says, "He gets outrighted. To the Angels AAA. "

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple releases today:

Frank Crinella and Chris Shaw from Delmarva,

Tyler Coolbaugh from GCL O’s (rough week for the Coolbaughs I guess),

Welbin Bautista and Carlos Mendez from the DSL O’s.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

A couple releases today:

Frank Crinella and Chris Shaw from Delmarva,

Tyler Coolbaugh from GCL O’s (rough week for the Coolbaughs I guess),

Welbin Bautista and Carlos Mendez from the DSL O’s.

Zoellner survives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Another article on Reed from May 2019.  The first 33 games of 2019 have featured a paltry .205/.282/.410 slash as a 24-year-old in Double-A. An 84 wRC+ despite being slightly older than his average competition in the Texas League. Those numbers often describe a prospect afterthought, especially with most statistical categories beginning to normalize. Yet, a look under the hood suggests Reed is on the verge of a breakout that could make him a hot commodity throughout the prospect community before the end of the regular season. https://prospects365.com/2019/05/18/buddy-reed-and-buying-before-a-breakout/
    • It was a heck of a lot better than 2000-2009.  2012 was a truly great year, and 2014 wasn't bad, either.  And hopefully we look back at '19 as the year we finally got on track to having a top-to-bottom modern organization for the first time since the 1970s.
    • OK, I will exhale now.    Have a great Thanksgiving, Tony, and enjoy your time off!
    • Actually he would have to be up by the beginning of 2024, because he would be out of options at that point, using his three option years in 2021, 2022 and 2023, which could potentially further mess up his development.
    • If you're taking Javier and having him mostly sit the bench or hit .100 for all of 2020 I think you'd be looking at him as the possible shortstop in 2024.  He was miserable in low A last year.  On a normal track he'd probably go back there in 2020.  Instead you'd have him essentially miss the year, just working out with the O's.  You probably put him in Frederick in 2021. Maybe if he's really good he ends the year in Bowie.  Most of the year in AA in 2022.  If things work out well he's in AAA in '23, maybe a late callup.  But being more conservative you're looking at mid-year 2024.  Things could break better, his talent really comes out and he's ahead of that schedule.  But in no way do you expect him to be the MLB shortstop in '22.
    • In my opinion, you are WAY too worried about Mountcastle’s defense.    He’s not some klutz out there.    He has a weak arm.    The fact that he played 3 seasons on the left side of the infield tells you that he has the athleticism to play 1B or COF at a reasonably good level.       As to whether I’d lock him up now at that price, it’s a little tough to say.   If you think he’s likely to be about on the level with a Josh Bell or Trey Mancini, it’s probably worth the risk.    If you think he’s more of a Mitch Moreland level bat, then probably not.       And before people start poo-pooing Mitch Moreland, the guy has had a respectable 10-year career in the majors and had a career .883 OPS in the minors.    Most top 100 prospects would love to have Moreland’s career.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...