Jump to content
Moose Milligan

Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Harper has had a very interesting career. I don’t think too many people thinks he’s as good as Manny, but his two best years are better than any year Manny has ever had. Outside of his two great years, he’s been very average. 

With that being said, I get the feeling Harper’s more box office than Manny. He’s the one I see in commercials. 

 

MFY are a good fit for Harper. They need a LH power bat. He makes more sense for them than Manny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

He's not in their strategy...until he signs with them.

Sure, the article I linked to stated that ownership could always make a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, Manny the D-bag might actually put more fans in the seats of the team that signs him than a bland, non-controversial player with the same talent (or more talent, like Trout) might.

Baseball has an aging fan base that is basically  dominated by 50+ year old white guys.   That's not a positive if you want to see teams putting 2 million fans in the seats in 2030, given shifting demographics.   

A team that signs Manny might find that an edgy, young, non-conforming player of Latin American descent might bring a bunch of fans into the park that had never attended before.

We've "known" Manny for years but for millions and millions of casual fans, this postseason is their first introduction to him beyond a name in a box score and "that guy who always made ESPN Top 10 Plays" at 3rd base.  He's established a brand, and while that brand screams "selfish jerk" to a lot of longtime fans, it might bring a younger demographic in to being fans.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Believe it or not, Manny the D-bag might actually put more fans in the seats of the team that signs him than a bland, non-controversial player with the same talent (or more talent, like Trout) might.

Baseball has an aging fan base that is basically  dominated by 50+ year old white guys.   That's not a positive if you want to see teams putting 2 million fans in the seats in 2030, given shifting demographics.   

A team that signs Manny might find that an edgy, young, non-conforming player of Latin American descent might bring a bunch of fans into the park that had never attended before.

We've "known" Manny for years but for millions and millions of casual fans, this postseason is their first introduction to him beyond a name in a box score and "that guy who always made ESPN Top 10 Plays" at 3rd base.  He's established a brand, and while that brand screams "selfish jerk" to a lot of longtime fans, it might bring a younger demographic in to being fans.

Interesting point, but won’t there also be some of those aging fans who will pass on the Manny Era? While widening the net of prospective fans is certainly a positive goal, would alienating another set of fans ultimately a wise thing? I would think you’d need to save some of your existing fan base if you gamble on potential new ones who want the edgy bad guy. Just a thought. I certainly am not a demographics student. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really happy for Steve Pearce. He deserved his moment (and a ring). 

I’m visiting Los Angeles right now, and even before the Series started or his “Johnny Hustle” comment, it was amazing how quickly Machado wore out his welcome here. I talked to a bunch of fans here (my Orioles cap starts a ton of conversations) who almost all said they loved him for the first few months but they saw him loaf or just act like a jerk enough times that he just fell out of favor. And they were especially disgusted with his attitude in the postseason. The bar I was at for game 3 were screaming bloody murder at him when he only got a single out of the ball he hit off the left field wall. A few people commented to me, “You guys sure got the better end of that trade.” 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Really happy for Steve Pearce. He deserved his moment (and a ring). 

I’m visiting Los Angeles right now, and even before the Series started or his “Johnny Hustle” comment, it was amazing how quickly Machado wore out his welcome here. I talked to a bunch of fans here (my Orioles cap starts a ton of conversations) who almost all said they loved him for the first few months but they saw him loaf or just act like a jerk enough times that he just fell out of favor. And they were especially disgusted with his attitude in the postseason. The bar I was at for game 3 were screaming bloody murder at him when he only got a single out of the ball he hit off the left field wall. A few people commented to me, “You guys sure got the better end of that trade.” 

Without Manny the Dodgers are a wildcard team, maybe even out of the playoffs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Really happy for Steve Pearce. He deserved his moment (and a ring). 

I’m visiting Los Angeles right now, and even before the Series started or his “Johnny Hustle” comment, it was amazing how quickly Machado wore out his welcome here. I talked to a bunch of fans here (my Orioles cap starts a ton of conversations) who almost all said they loved him for the first few months but they saw him loaf or just act like a jerk enough times that he just fell out of favor. And they were especially disgusted with his attitude in the postseason. The bar I was at for game 3 were screaming bloody murder at him when he only got a single out of the ball he hit off the left field wall. A few people commented to me, “You guys sure got the better end of that trade.” 

Except they might well have missed the playoffs without Manny.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Believe it or not, Manny the D-bag might actually put more fans in the seats of the team that signs him than a bland, non-controversial player with the same talent (or more talent, like Trout) might.

Baseball has an aging fan base that is basically  dominated by 50+ year old white guys.   That's not a positive if you want to see teams putting 2 million fans in the seats in 2030, given shifting demographics.   

A team that signs Manny might find that an edgy, young, non-conforming player of Latin American descent might bring a bunch of fans into the park that had never attended before.

We've "known" Manny for years but for millions and millions of casual fans, this postseason is their first introduction to him beyond a name in a box score and "that guy who always made ESPN Top 10 Plays" at 3rd base.  He's established a brand, and while that brand screams "selfish jerk" to a lot of longtime fans, it might bring a younger demographic in to being fans.

Perhaps, but I think modeling his career after someone like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Derek Jeter would be a lot more sustaining not to mention lucrative.  The selfish jerk demographic can be fickle given the abundance of selfish jerks screaming for their attention.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Manny were to return to Baltimore, he would be welcomed by all with open arms. I mean, he wore his Bird undershirt under the Dodgers Jersey.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Without Manny the Dodgers are a wildcard team, maybe even out of the playoffs.

Agreed, he really helped them when they needed it most. A lot of Dodgers fans seem to think they were bound to make the postseason one way or another but bound to lose once they got there. Personally I wish Milwaukee had made it through instead of LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Perhaps, but I think modeling his career after someone like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Derek Jeter would be a lot more sustaining not to mention lucrative.  The selfish jerk demographic can be fickle given the abundance of selfish jerks screaming for their attention.

 

Worked out pretty well for Reggie Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • o   (SEPTEMBER 30th)   Yankees Rally in 9th Inning, Beat Indians to Sweep AL Wild-Card Series: Rival Rays are Up Next (By Kristie Ackert) https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yankees-indians-sweep-20201001-2adsfpymsve2tjfcxumkkpi7vi-story.html   o
    • Yea, no matter how the rest turn out, barring of course some kid's whose name I don't know turning into an all-star catcher, AR bombing will still be a big blow. Even if we end up with a playoff team, losing out on an MVP candidate at catcher is still going to hurt.
    • o   GAME THREE )))))) (First Round)   CHICAGO WHITE S OX Timothy Devon Anderson, Jr. - SS Yasmani Grandal - C Jose Dariel "J.D." Abreu Correa - 1B Eloy Arturo Jimenez Solano - DH  Yoan Manuel Moncada Olivera - 3B Luis Robert - CF Nomar Shamir Mazara Jiminian - RF Adam Engel - LF   Nicklaus Madrigal - 2B Dane Anthony Dunning - RHP )) (2-0, 3.97 ERA)   OAKLAND A THLETICS Thomas La Stella - 2B Marcus Semien - SS Jacob Ryan "J.R." Lamb - 3B Mark Canha - RF Matthew Olson - 1B Khristopher Davis - DH Robert Grossman - LF Ramon Laureano - CF Sean Murphy - C Michael Bruce Fiers - RHP )) (6-3, 4.58 ERA)   https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups   o
    • These threads are about the strengths of the organization as a whole at the various positions, not the current strength of the major league team.   I agree grades should not be “completely” based on players in the minors, especially ones who haven’t played an official game above low A.    But the guy was considered to be the easiest 1:1 choice since Harper.    That’s not nothing.  
    • There's the matter of being the 21st pick and not 3rd, but if DL Hall could be in the ballpark of where Ian Anderson is now in a year, that would be nice. Scanning the 2017 1st round if we re-did it today, I see Lewis, Gore, Hiura, Adell, Ramos and Pearson as guys you'd probably obviously prefer to him. Hall head to head with the Shane Bazzes and Clarke Schmidts of the world will tell us a good deal of high in the league the peak Rutschman teams can get.
    • All hands on deck for the little guy. Wonder if Dan will be watching?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...