atomic

How to make baseball more interesting

Baseball is losing younger fans who don't like the slow pace of the game.  Even older fans like me are getting bored with all the strike outs and pitching changes.  Now we have openers nonsense.  No matter what the sport coaches try to destroy the game.  Other leagues like the NFL and NHL are constantly changing the rules to counter-act coaches  destroying the sport while baseball stands still.  What are your suggestions. Here are mine:

1) Limit a team to 10 pitchers on the 25 man roster.  

2) A pitcher has to pitch to at least 3 batters

3) No managers or coaches on the field when their team is pitching.  (Only first base and third base coaches on field when their team is batting).  A manager doesnt need to come on to the field to make a  pitching change

4) Make the ball less lively.  With less chance of a home run, guys trying to hit home runs on every at bat will change or they will leave the game.  Lead to less strike outs.  

5) Eliminate the need to go back the bag after a fly out.  That will reward putting the ball in play and faster players. 

57 minutes ago, atomic said:

Baseball is losing younger fans who don't like the slow pace of the game.  Even older fans like me are getting bored with all the strike outs and pitching changes.  Now we have openers nonsense.  No matter what the sport coaches try to destroy the game.  Other leagues like the NFL and NHL are constantly changing the rules to counter-act coaches  destroying the sport while baseball stands still.  What are your suggestions. Here are mine:

3) No managers or coaches on the field when their team is pitching.  (Only first base and third base coaches on field when their team is batting).  A manager doesnt need to come on to the field to make a  pitching change

4) Make the ball less lively.  With less chance of a home run, guys trying to hit home runs on every at bat will change or they will leave the game.  Lead to less strike outs.  

5) Eliminate the need to go back the bag after a fly out.  That will reward putting the ball in play and faster players. 

I would alter some details, and I disagree with #5. A few more thoughts:

• Test and develop equipment to determine electronically whether pitches enter the strike zone.
  • For each batter, the pitcher gets up to three throws to first base. The fourth is treated as a balk.(The third would almost never be used.) 
  • After two strikes, three foul balls are an out. Same rule for foul bunts.
  • Impose a minimum thickness of bat handles (for more contact, more fair balls, fewer all-or-nothing swings).
  • Where possible, increase the distance to the fences (fewer HRs, more extra base hits, more OF plays).
  • During video reviews, umpires stay in place. Results are conveyed to an official in the press box (and crew chief, equipped with an earpiece), and when useful the press box official explains the ruling to fans, like NFL officials.
  • Give the Orioles the first six picks in the 2019 draft. (They'll probably only get one real good player anyway.)

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Other than the Orioles being terrible, I pretty much like baseball just the way it is. Maybe something to making pitching changes a little quicker would be worthwhile, maybe using computers to call balls and strikes, maybe a change player compensation so that service time games are no longer needed. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Please explain #5. Are you suggesting runners shouldn’t have to tag up? 

Yeah.  It would make a fly ball much more valuable than a strike out. 

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

•  
  • Where possible, increase the distance to the fences (fewer HRs, more extra base hits, more OF plays).
  • 

Yeah that would be desirable and I thought about it but I thought it would be hard to do for a lot of ball park that is why I instead thought more of a dead ball as an easier implementation. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Other than the Orioles being terrible, I pretty much like baseball just the way it is. Maybe something to making pitching changes a little quicker would be worthwhile, maybe using computers to call balls and strikes, maybe a change player compensation so that service time games are no longer needed. 

The pure baseball enthusiasts are a dying breed.

The game itself is losing some of its shine and fanbase, and the younger kids are not playing or watching the games.

Everything done so far to help with pace of play has been completely useless. Do people really care if the game is 3:05 instead of 3:09? No.

Honestly, I like the game mostly as it is. I think the changes to appeal to the younger fan are less on the field and more with how the game is marketed. MLB should play a huge role in youth baseball. Getting people playing the game will help get them enjoying it and, thus, watching it. Using social media more in game on broadcasts and connecting that way would help more. Having players be more branded helps, too. The NBA and even NFL are better at this.

All that said, I do think there some things that can be done in game to help the pace some, but it has to be more than 10 seconds here and there every couple games. I think the biggest thing to pace of play is not-so-instant replay. The way baseball handles it is dumb. There should be a replay ump for every game in stadium reviewing every play with a radio directly in the ear of the crew chief on field. If the manager comes out to argue, they can confer with that ump (who can also call down on his own) and overturn a call when needed. No need for the pomp and circumstance of going to the head set or waiting for New York to review. That is one area the game really slows down now.

To encourage more hits and balls in play and moving away from the three-true outcomes, I think that's a bit tougher. You could do away with the shift. i think that helps some, but I don't like taking a strategy away from a team like that. I think as an industry baseball just needs to do a better job recognizing and promoting the players that do hit to all fields and limit Ks (Jose Ramirez for one) and pay them accordingly. This will help encourage others to change how they hit. If you get more money hitting to all fields and making contact, more players will do it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

• Test and develop equipment to determine electronically whether pitches enter the strike zone.
  • For each batter, the pitcher gets up to three throws to first base. The fourth is treated as a balk.(The third would almost never be used.) 
  • After two strikes, three foul balls are an out. Same rule for foul bunts.
  • Impose a minimum thickness of bat handles (for more contact, more fair balls, fewer all-or-nothing swings).
  • During video reviews, umpires stay in place. Results are conveyed to an official in the press box (and crew chief, equipped with an earpiece), and when useful the press box official explains the ruling to fans, like NFL officials.
  • Give the Orioles the first six picks in the 2019 draft. (They'll probably only get one real good player anyway.)

Disagree with all except the last two.

The reason I like the one foot in the box rule is that it's scalable.  It applies to every at bat in every game.  Unlimited foul balls is part of what makes baseball great.  A 10 or 11 pitch at bat isn't something that should be frowned upon, it's exciting.  

Arguing balls and strikes is great.  The game within the game between the batter and pitcher and the pitcher, runner and 1st baseman is part of what makes the game great.

2 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

The shift is killing the game.  I hate to see a rule outlawing it but I have to admit it is probably necessary.

How is it killing the game?

Do you think one dimensional hitters like Davis are an integral part of the fabric of the game?

• Upvote 2