atomic

How to make baseball more interesting

22 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah. It would make a fly ball much more valuable than a strike out. 

22 hours ago, ExileAngelos said:

So you can score from 2nd base on a pop-up ???

o

And in some cases, you could score from 1st base on a pop-up.

In fact, if the bases were loaded with less than 2 outs, you could have a "bases-clearing pop-up" ........ the fictional Willie Mays Hayes might lead the league in RBI's instead of having to do 50 push-ups every time that he hit the ball in the air.

A pitcher could lead the league with a 7.12 ERA ........ maybe 6.88 if another of the suggestions (make the ball less lively) were also implemented.

o

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2018 at 12:09 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

I would definitely get rid of the shift.

I would definitely get rid of players who are so pull-dependent that the shift is a great strategy to make them hit .168.

The shift is a great incentivizer of employing more guys who slap the ball to the opposite field and run hard.  Outlawing the shift is not only unwieldy and going against nearly 200 years of baseball history, but it also enables our descent into three true outcomes becoming the only outcomes.

• Upvote 2

More bat flips. More emotion. More players visibly having fun. Fewer grouchy, boring, old white dudes in the announcer’s booth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would definitely get rid of players who are so pull-dependent that the shift is a great strategy to make them hit .168.

The shift is a great incentivizer of employing more guys who slap the ball to the opposite field and run hard.  Outlawing the shift is not only unwieldy and going against nearly 200 years of baseball history, but it also enables our descent into three true outcomes becoming the only outcomes.

I agree completely. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Along similar lines, I think outlawing the shift would be a step towards making baseball more like snookers (that is a game where the outcomes are circumscribed by a strict set of rules and constraints) and less like a game where folks run freely around on some grass ( or pseudo grass) and compete athletically against each other.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Along similar lines, I think outlawing the shift would be a step towards making baseball more like snookers (that is a game where the outcomes are circumscribed by a strict set of rules and constraints) and less like a game where folks run freely around on some grass ( or pseudo grass) and compete athletically against each other.

If they outlaw the shift I will be done with the game.  

44 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

A team of 9 Ichiros would be more fun to watch than 9 Judges.

Four of the Ichiros would  use Judge's approach. 

26 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I think splitting all of the tv revenue equally would make the game more interesting.

Yeah, look at the NFL, it created parity. Is that what you really want for baseball?

I completely get the argument against change from the traditionalists, but they absolutely need to find a way to speed up the game if they want to attract a younger fan base. And if they don't, it's probably going to go they way of hockey and become more of a niche sport. I'm not sure I agree with all of the suggestions made by the original poster, but pitching changes take up a ridiculous amount of unnecessary time and they completely kill the pace of the game. Limiting the number of pitchers allowed on rosters and making them face more than one batter seems like it would help.