Jump to content
Greg Pappas

Poll: Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?

Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?  

144 members have voted

  1. 1. Will the O's sign the Mesa brothers?



Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The period from July 2019-June 2020.  Do you think being third from worse is unrealistic?

My expectations for the 2020-2021 period would be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

 

Honestly, I don’t know what’s realistic for this period.    I also don’t know how you’d measure it.   Did anyone rank the July 2018-June 2019 class?   Seems to me it would be years before anyone would know.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can tell which players were signed by Duquette or Elias by looking at this excellent post by Enjoy Terror:

 

Also, here’s a really awesome thread by ScGO’s giving bios of many of our top DSL prospects, that also tells who signed them.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the way I’ll eventually judge if our international program is getting traction is by whether we have prospects playing in the States who were international signings and are cracking our top 30,    Eventually, about 30% of our top 30 (or more) should be coming from international signings.   Last year, there was only one player in the OH top 30 who the O’s signed as an international amateur — Alex Wells.   There were four other international players on the list who were acquired in the July 2018 trades.     I’ll be interested to see if anyone joins Wells on this year’s list.    Among players who have played Stateside, I can only think of one real candidate to join the list: Leonardo Rodriguez, who pitched for Aberdeen at age 21 this year and might show up somewhere in the bottom half, if at all.   I suppose we might see a guy or two who’ve only played in the DSL, but those would be stabs in the dark at this point.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, interloper said:

Nearly $2 million, according to Joe Trezza.

You are misreading the article, he says they have a bit over 2M remaining, not that they’ve spent that much. So let’s say it’s 2.5M remaining, that’d mean they spent 4M already, which would be if the average bonus of the players whose bonus wasn’t reported was about 100k, which is reasonable.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You are misreading the article, he says they have a bit over 2M remaining, not that they’ve spent that much. So let’s say it’s 2.5M remaining, that’d mean they spent 4M already, which would be if the average bonus of the players whose bonus wasn’t reported was about 100k, which is reasonable.

What article are you referencing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Cuban defectors, there are a number of interesting ones out there.

Yoelkis Céspedes- Yoenis’s brother

Norge Vera- probably the best arm available this cycle

Pedro Manuel León- toolsy 21 year old OF with dominant Cuban League stats

There are 5 others of various quality as well who are unsigned in my understanding of the situation.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

You are misreading the article, he says they have a bit over 2M remaining, not that they’ve spent that much. So let’s say it’s 2.5M remaining, that’d mean they spent 4M already, which would be if the average bonus of the players whose bonus wasn’t reported was about 100k, which is reasonable.

You're right, it's been a few days since I read the article. My bad!

@Can_of_corn is more wrong now, so great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

You're right, it's been a few days since I read the article. My bad!

@Can_of_cornCorn is wrong now, so great!

You did see that I repped Luke for the correction right?  I'm happy that they are spending more.

Huge difference between spending 2M and 4.4M.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You did see that I repped Luke for the correction right?  I'm happy that they are spending more.

Huge difference between spending 2M and 4.4M.

 

I saw. Just wanted to entice you to actually say something on the topic. You've been off base on this topic since the jump, despite overwhelming and hard evidence that the Orioles are improving in this area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

I saw. Just wanted to entice you to actually say something on the topic. You've been off base on this topic since the jump, despite overwhelming and hard evidence that the Orioles are improving in this area. 

I never said no improvement has taken place.  My issue has always been if ownership was authorizing the use of funds to the extent allowed by the slotting system.

If they had only spent 2M of their 6.4M pool it would indicate that funds might not be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never said no improvement has taken place.  My issue has always been if ownership was authorizing the use of funds to the extent allowed by the slotting system.

If they had only spent 2M of their 6.4M pool it would indicate that funds might not be available.

But why wouldn't it be? Before Elias was even hired, we heard from ownership that they were reversing course on the international market and that tied into the Duquette trades. Then we heard that again from ownership and Elias during his initial press conference. Then Elias hired Perez. 

Since the Duquette trades, there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to the fact that ownership was going to put a lid on spending those funds! Yes, Peter did in the past, but the club has been pretty transparent about that AND about reversing course on it. 

It's just skepticism for the sake of being pessimistic. Which I definitely get because Orioles. But as soon as Perez was hired - who is a very big deal in his area of expertise - it was obvious the game done changed. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

But why wouldn't it be? Before Elias was even hired, we heard from ownership that they were reversing course on the international market and that tied into the Duquette trades. Then we heard that again from ownership and Elias during his initial press conference. Then Elias hired Perez. 

Since the Duquette trades, there's never been one shred of evidence pointing to the fact that ownership was going to put a lid on spending those funds! Yes, Peter did in the past, but the club has been pretty transparent about that AND about reversing course on it. 

It's just skepticism for the sake of being pessimistic. Which I definitely get because Orioles. But as soon as Perez was hired - who is a very big deal in his area of expertise - it was obvious the game done changed. 

Fred Ferreira was a very big deal and him joining Dan didn't change things.

The way they handled their International pool last year, specifically allowing themselves to be outbid substantially on the Cubans, is what led me to believe that it was possible that ownership wasn't willing to fully fund the International market.  That and how pleased ownership was with the Gausman trade (which was mostly about shedding payroll). 

When ownership is obviously concerned with lowering costs and at the same time they are not spending what they could on players, I think it is fair to question finances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fred Ferreira was a very big deal and him joining Dan didn't change things.

The way they handled their International pool last year, specifically allowing themselves to be outbid substantially on the Cubans, is what led me to believe that it was possible that ownership wasn't willing to fully fund the International market.  That and how pleased ownership was with the Gausman trade (which was mostly about shedding payroll). 

When ownership is obviously concerned with lowering costs and at the same time they are not spending what they could on players, I think it is fair to question finances.

 

Fred I think we understand now was not the big deal he was touted to be. He threw Dan a couple bones, and then disappeared. He did not have nearly the title nor stature within the Orioles organization nor recent track record that Perez had with the Indians. But nevertheless, both of the bolded above were during the time when the O's very clearly stated they would not really be participating internationally outside of the Pacific and Cuba. And they did just that with Chen, Uehara, Urrutia, and Alvarez. Gonzalez was a nice bonus pluck out of the Mexican league that required no real international scouting effort like Moose's 17 year olds do. 

That all changed at the end of last year during the ownership handoff to John and Lou. They stated it changed very clearly, then followed up in a big way. There just isn't much to go on other than pure skepticism, which again, I do get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...