Jump to content
Babkins

Britton on the use of analytics in New York vs. Baltimore

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Britton *had* one of the best seasons a reliever has ever had his last healthy season in Baltimore, true. But once your stuff degrades, you need to creatively find ways to get hitters out at a better clip.

The real unknown is just how much of Britton's ineffectiveness last year and this year w/ the O's was due to injury. His walk rate exploded in 2017 and his strikeout rate has fallen off a cliff since 2015/2016. 

That said, when your stuff starts to stink, maybe it's throwing a different pitch? Maybe it's knowing which hitters to attack and how? Maybe it's understanding that a certain pitch in a certain count hitters sit on? And so on and so forth. 

The thing about analytics is that they are *just numbers*. It's how you report those numbers not just to the managers, but to the players....and how effectively you do so.

Well said.

I think there is such a fine line, these guys walk, between being able to get the job done, and just a few slivers of degrades steps in and they become hittable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And that is why players respond with canned cliches to almost all questions.

Heaven forbid they answer honestly and get raked over the coals by an offended fan.

 

I think Britton was just being honest.

Probably honest in his mind. Combined with just a little bit of throwing his old team under the bus to explain a drop in performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to read Britton's comments and the ones of the minor leaguer we received and not believe that we are comfortably behind at least the analytic leaders if not the rest of baseball.  

Comments that we might not need these analytics because of a great year from Britton reflect an ignorance that is not worth attempting to counter.

I think from the Pirates example that it is the responsibility of the GM to have these resources available to the coaching staff (and then ultimately to the players) and to put in place people and relationships such that the coaches see the value in the analytics.  Maybe this leading edge information was at Buck's disposal, but my guess is that it was not.  Buck learned and employed the shift information he was given so why would he be so resistant to incorporating individual player analytics?

Regardless, this should be an area of focus for the new GM.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, based on the charts and data at Brooks baseball as a reliever he 'used' to throw one pitch predominantly same general area regardless of the batter's handedness.  With the Yankees he has thrown the one pitch slightly more down center and down in versus RH batters than before.

Edited by FuManchu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Difficult to read Britton's comments and the ones of the minor leaguer we received and not believe that we are comfortably behind at least the analytic leaders if not the rest of baseball.  

Comments that we might not need these analytics because of a great year from Britton reflect an ignorance that is not worth attempting to counter.

I think from the Pirates example that it is the responsibility of the GM to have these resources available to the coaching staff (and then ultimately to the players) and to put in place people and relationships such that the coaches see the value in the analytics.  Maybe this leading edge information was at Buck's disposal, but my guess is that it was not.  Buck learned and employed the shift information he was given so why would he be so resistant to incorporating individual player analytics?

Regardless, this should be an area of focus for the new GM.

 

That's a good point.

My counterpoint would be that Buck is a huge fan of individual matchup data when most of baseball has discarded it as an antiquated tool. 

My guess is Buck accepts the data that agrees with what he already thinks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Probably honest in his mind. Combined with just a little bit of throwing his old team under the bus to explain a drop in performance.

I disagree but we won't ever know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree but we won't ever know.

We wont ever know, but its all about perception, and some people read more into it, and some will overlook it as just a guy chatting.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland feels Astros were better prepared with analytics. 

The Indians have been World Series contenders the past few years and apparently some of their players weren't happy about the lack of analytics prepared for them against the Astros. I guess we aren't the only team lagging behind in this area but if you want to get better Britton's comments should be seen as constructive feedback not trashing his former team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Darkhawk said:

Cleveland feels Astros were better prepared with analytics. 

The Indians have been World Series contenders the past few years and apparently some of their players weren't happy about the lack of analytics prepared for them against the Astros. I guess we aren't the only team lagging behind in this area but if you want to get better Britton's comments should be seen as constructive feedback not trashing his former team. 

Britton only played for one major league organization.

So thats what he knows about.

He goes north and finds out how much differently prepared they are and it was an eye opener. So I think he talked openly about it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Britton only played for one major league organization.

So thats what he knows about.

He goes north and finds out how much differently prepared they are and it was an eye opener. So I think he talked openly about it.

I still think the Royals were much better prepared than the O's back in 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Probably honest in his mind. Combined with just a little bit of throwing his old team under the bus to explain a drop in performance.

Britton doesn't come across as the type of player/guy who would throw his old team under the bus. Those weren't fake tears when he was traded...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still think the Royals were much better prepared than the O's back in 2014.

I think the Os really needing Manny, Matt and Chris on the roster and not Hurt/suspended.

To get as far as they did, without those 3 was truly remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Britton doesn't come across as the type of player/guy who would throw his old team under the bus. Those weren't fake tears when he was traded...

You and I agree on this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a certain psychobabble level where I think Britton is being a "true Oriole" here.  He might still see here as a potential closer gig and good paycheck.  It could kind of be a fun exercise for Britton over the next few years, sign 1-year contracts, get traded in July for whoever wants a guy like him on a 2-month term + postseason basis, and when he comes back for good on the 2022 Orioles, the roster is made up of him and like 6 guys he brought into the organization.

True Orioles have to play the long game.

I do think big data in the last few years is proving its worth so much so that the lines between The Player and The Organization are blurrier than they have ever been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think the Os really needing Manny, Matt and Chris on the roster and not Hurt/suspended.

To get as far as they did, without those 3 was truly remarkable.

It is hard to say how much better prepared the Royals were than us in 2014.  A level playing field would have removed Moustakas, Hosmer, and Perez out of their lineup for 4+ games of that series.  Even though only Hosmer hit really well against us in that series (Moose did have a huge homer in Game 1), take those 3 out of the lineup and there is a ripple effect.  I am also not sure that superior preparation led to all of the bloop hits they got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...