Babkins

Britton on the use of analytics in New York vs. Baltimore

11 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The KC come-from-behind win against Oakland involved the Royals running at every possible opportunity against a pitcher who was lousy at keeping runners on base and a catcher who was lousy at throwing them out. I assume it was Yost who made the decision to unleash his players' speed then .

It also helped that Soto got injured early in the game.  He was the starting catcher for Oakland primarily to help control KC's speed.  It always helps when your opponents are injured and you are healthy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

That was talking trash? The Orioles MADE him a big league pitcher?

You and most other Oriole fans now know more about the team’s investment in and use of analytics relative to other organizations partly as a result of Zach’s comment. Let there be light.

You post negative comments about the Orioles all the time, but seem so quick to defend them whenever anything negative appears in the press. I don’t understand that. Zach’s comment was not talking trash. I’m almost certain he was questioned in a way that provoked a comparison. He didn’t try to use the differences in analytics as an excuse for his performance. 

I don't mischaracterize and overgeneralize about your comments... your "all the time" comment about me suggests you have not actually read most of my over 17,000 posts.   If you disagree with my point, then certainly disagree, but please stay out of trying to "analyze" my motivations question my support of the team.   That gets only to an unproductive back and forth.      We disagree about Zach's comment.   I and most everybody on this board long knew that the Orioles management had not invested in modern analytics...who on this board has not known that forever?  We did not suddenly learn about that somehow because of Zach's comment.  Neither did Dan Duquette or Buck Showalter I suspect learn much from Zach's comment as  they probably had heard of the term "analytics" before Zach pointed it out.    

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And that is why players respond with canned cliches to almost all questions.

Heaven forbid they answer honestly and get raked over the coals by an offended fan.

I think Britton was just being honest.

If my comment led to Zach feeling "raked over the coals", I will send him a note.   I suspect he probably didn't feel my "wrath" too much....lol.  

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If my comment led to Zach feeling "raked over the coals", I will send him a note.   I suspect he probably didn't feel my "wrath" too much....lol.  

Wasn't specifically talking about you Mr seventeen thousand posts.  😉

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't specifically talking about you Mr seventeen thousand posts.  😉

oops...thought it might have been, since it was in response to my comment.   My bad,...lol.  Congratulations, by the way...in just breaking through the 70,000 mark...on your way to the big 100K  😀

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I don't mischaracterize and overgeneralize about your comments... your "all the time" comment about me suggests you have not actually read most of my over 17,000 posts.   If you disagree with my point, then certainly disagree, but please stay out of trying to "analyze" my motivations question my support of the team.   That gets only to an unproductive back and forth.      We disagree about Zach's comment.   I and most everybody on this board long knew that the Orioles management had not invested in modern analytics...who on this board has not known that forever?  We did not suddenly learn about that somehow because of Zach's comment.  Neither did Dan Duquette or Buck Showalter I suspect learn much from Zach's comment as  they probably had heard of the term "analytics" before Zach pointed it out.    

Sorry if I over generalized. I enjoy reading your posts. I didn’t mean to imply anything disparaging. 

But I do disagree about Zach’s comments. I found the comments enlightening and I think the comments resulted in additional information being posted in the thread. I had not seen or didn’t remember seeing the list of personal in each organization, for example. I also don’t think the comments were harsh or excuse making. Your comment regarding Zach was aggressive, unnecessarily so IMO. If you didn’t think there was much to Zach’s comments, then I am even a little more surprised at your comment. Not trying to be argumentative or negative, I just read the comments very differently and honestly did not understand your take. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Sorry if I over generalized. I enjoy reading your posts. I didn’t mean to imply anything disparaging. 

But I do disagree about Zach’s comments. I found the comments enlightening and I think the comments resulted in additional information being posted in the thread. I had not seen or didn’t remember seeing the list of personal in each organization, for example. I also don’t think the comments were harsh or excuse making. Your comment regarding Zach was aggressive, unnecessarily so IMO. If you didn’t think there was much to Zach’s comments, then I am even a little more surprised at your comment. Not trying to be argumentative or negative, I just read the comments very differently and honestly did not understand your take. 

Sorry if I was overly dramatic...lol.  I can be that way sometimes. Ask my wife.  It probably was a bit over the top...but my irrationality about the MFYs gets in the way of my rational cortex, no doubt... And, on some level, it is somewhat surprising that Zach could be an All-Star veteran pitcher for years...and that he apparently never talked to any other pitchers in any other organizations about his craft or had any idea that analytics even existed...it just seems overly convenient to me that Zach apparently also never talked with Alan Mills or Roger McDowell or anyone else in the organization and asked..."hey could I get some of this information that I heard from so and so at the All Star game was helpful to them."  

None of this excuses the terrible analytic processes under the Angelos regime. At all...and I was one to clean the house and hire a top analytic GM and give them free rein.    But I too probably see more red about the MFYs than I should rationally and no doubt that influenced my take.   

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Those Yankee analytics were awesome against Boston last night.

Boston also has a strong analytical team.

The sour grapes are pretty amusing.

I think if anything with analytics, I just want to feel that my team is at least on a level playing field with its competitors.  So if our analytics falls short of other teams, I want to get where they are.  It is tiresome to hear how far ahead other organizations are than us.....it is bad enough seeing how inferior we are in the standings. 

As good as analytics are, I am not sure that they make the difference between a Sanchez long fly out and a walk off grand slam.  Or the final out, which was so close they needed replay.  Strength in analytics may put you in a better competitive position to win, but at the end of the day it often comes down to inches and luck. 

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I think if anything with analytics, I just want to feel that my team is at least on a level playing field with its competitors.  So if our analytics falls short of other teams, I want to get where they are.  It is tiresome to hear how far ahead other organizations are than us.....it is bad enough seeing how inferior we are in the standings. 

As good as analytics are, I am not sure that they make the difference between a Sanchez long fly out and a walk off grand slam.  Or the final out, which was so close they needed replay.  Strength in analytics may put you in a better competitive position to win, but at the end of the day it often comes down to inches and luck. 

If I have to compete with division rivals that have a lot more resources, I want to try to edge ahead of them in developing and using analytics. It's an area where I can afford to seek a competitive advantage, if the owner, President, GM and manager are all committed to pushing the envelope. To trail behind those rivals in an area like this is indefensible.

That's why I want people in analytics who are not only capable and hard-working, but also creative and thoughtful, and a front office and manager who are open to developing and using new ideas about how to win baseball games.