Thato'sfan

Fall and Winter Leagues

On 12/12/2017 at 11:59 AM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Steve Wilkerson was named to the "Top Prospect" team. He was the only Oriole player to do so.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/arizona-fall-league-honors-23-on-top-prospects-team/c-263310244?tcid=tw_article_263310244

Props to LOJ for talking up Wilkerson throughout this thread - before I remember anyone else was talking about him as a real prospect.    

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Props to LOJ for talking up Wilkerson throughout this thread - before I remember anyone else was talking about him as a real prospect.    

Thanks! I completely forgot about this post!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Thanks! I completely forgot about this post!

Hey, I remember this thread thinking - nah, Wilkerson's on the old side and hasn't really done much, but when I actually saw him play this season - he's probably not gonna be a big hitter, but he's an exciting player and has enough talent to play in the majors.  

• Upvote 1

I don't see a thread covering the 2018 AFL, so if we need a new thread, we can move this post.   Not sure if this is covered elsewhere but Melewski tacked info on Flaa, Chleborad, etc. onto this article on Tyler Erwin.  Wondering what @Luke-OH thoughts are on Erwin (or if posted elsewhere, lead me to the link) - thanks!

On Erwin:

Pitching from a three-quarters delivery, Erwin doesn’t blow the ball by hitters. His fastball comes at them between 86 and 90 mph.

“He competes and throws strikes,” said Brian Graham, the Orioles director of player development. “He reminds me a little bit of (Richard) Bleier. Erwin’s stuff is not overwhelming or overpowering, but he gets ground balls and he gets outs and he really competes. He throws three pitches for strikes. He’s a sinker, slider, changeup guy, and he really commanded the baseball. He just kept getting a lot of outs.”

"Two other pitchers who have to be protected from the Rule 5 this year are headed to the AFL. They are right-handed relievers Jay Flaa and Tanner Chleborad, who both pitched at Bowie this year.

Flaa, a sixth-round pick in 2015 out of North Dakota State University, was impressive out of the Baysox ‘pen. He went 3-1 with a 2.77 ERA, allowing just 35 hits in 65 innings. Lefties hit .165 off him and righties hit .143. Flaa, who throws with a nice downhill angle, has a fastball ranging between 88 and 92 mph to go with a curve and split-change.

Chleborad went 6-1 with a 3.61 ERA at Bowie. In 62 1/3 innings, he allowed 69 hits with a .285 batting average against. The 25-year-old Chleborad was taken in round 16 of the 2014 draft out of Washington State. He pitches mostly using a sinker and slider, throwing between 91 and 95 mph.

Watching Flaa and Chleborad in the AFL will help the Orioles decide if one or both of the pitchers should be added to the 40-man roster in November.

“We need to be able to evaluate our own guys. Both Chleborad and Flaa had good years and pitched well. This is a good opportunity for them to face better competition,” Graham said.

The Orioles are also sending utility guy Steve Wilkerson to the AFL. And even though he is not officially on the roster yet, catcher Martin Cervenka will play for Glendale. That leaves one more player - and he will be an outfielder - for the Orioles to send to the AFL."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/he-was-one-of-the-best-relievers-in-the-carolina-league-and-now-hes-headed-to-the-afl.html

Edited by bobmc
Erwin's stuff
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bobmc said:

I don't see a thread covering the 2018 AFL, so if we need a new thread, we can move this post.   Not sure if this is covered elsewhere but Melewski tacked info on Flaa, Chleborad, etc. onto this article on Tyler Erwin.  Wondering what @Luke-OH thoughts are on Erwin (or if posted elsewhere, lead me to the link) - thanks!

On Erwin:

Pitching from a three-quarters delivery, Erwin doesn’t blow the ball by hitters. His fastball comes at them between 86 and 90 mph.

“He competes and throws strikes,” said Brian Graham, the Orioles director of player development. “He reminds me a little bit of (Richard) Bleier. Erwin’s stuff is not overwhelming or overpowering, but he gets ground balls and he gets outs and he really competes. He throws three pitches for strikes. He’s a sinker, slider, changeup guy, and he really commanded the baseball. He just kept getting a lot of outs.”

"Two other pitchers who have to be protected from the Rule 5 this year are headed to the AFL. They are right-handed relievers Jay Flaa and Tanner Chleborad, who both pitched at Bowie this year.

Flaa, a sixth-round pick in 2015 out of North Dakota State University, was impressive out of the Baysox ‘pen. He went 3-1 with a 2.77 ERA, allowing just 35 hits in 65 innings. Lefties hit .165 off him and righties hit .143. Flaa, who throws with a nice downhill angle, has a fastball ranging between 88 and 92 mph to go with a curve and split-change.

Chleborad went 6-1 with a 3.61 ERA at Bowie. In 62 1/3 innings, he allowed 69 hits with a .285 batting average against. The 25-year-old Chleborad was taken in round 16 of the 2014 draft out of Washington State. He pitches mostly using a sinker and slider, throwing between 91 and 95 mph.

Watching Flaa and Chleborad in the AFL will help the Orioles decide if one or both of the pitchers should be added to the 40-man roster in November.

“We need to be able to evaluate our own guys. Both Chleborad and Flaa had good years and pitched well. This is a good opportunity for them to face better competition,” Graham said.

The Orioles are also sending utility guy Steve Wilkerson to the AFL. And even though he is not officially on the roster yet, catcher Martin Cervenka will play for Glendale. That leaves one more player - and he will be an outfielder - for the Orioles to send to the AFL."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/he-was-one-of-the-best-relievers-in-the-carolina-league-and-now-hes-headed-to-the-afl.html

My thoughts on Erwin are that he has a profile of someone who needs above average command to succeed and a delivery that makes above average command unlikely.

At this point he’s making it work, there certainly is some deception, but he’s also in A+ ball. He gets a lot of chases now on pitches that aren’t particularly close, I’m not sure the stuff plays against more discerning hitters that make him throw it over the plate.

The article mentions Bleier as a comp, but it’s really hard to project a prospect as a Bleier type because Bleier is the exception, not the rule, most guys like him don’t work.

• Upvote 1

We HAD one in the Minor League forum here. But someone decided that because Hays was mentioned, it should go to the main Orioles forum and get buried.

Hope me mentioning a player doesn't make this one get moved too. 🙄

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

We HAD one in the Minor League forum here. But someone decided that because Hays was mentioned, it should go to the main Orioles forum and get buried.

Hope me mentioning a player doesn't make this one get moved too. 🙄

No, post about Jay Flaa all you’d like.   

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

My thoughts on Erwin are that he has a profile of someone who needs above average command to succeed and a delivery that makes above average command unlikely.

At this point he’s making it work, there certainly is some deception, but he’s also in A+ ball. He gets a lot of chases now on pitches that aren’t particularly close, I’m not sure the stuff plays against more discerning hitters that make him throw it over the plate.

The article mentions Bleier as a comp, but it’s really hard to project a prospect as a Bleier type because Bleier is the exception, not the rule, most guys like him don’t work.

Thanks!  We seem to have many throwers that have trouble commanding the baseball.  I guess that is what it's all about and if velo is not there, even with command, deception is the key.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:32 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So 2 things:

1: If the timing is right, we should get the full rosters August 28th. That is the last Tuesday of the regular season for the Minor League clubs.

2. In the MASN article about Hunter Harvey today, they mentioned him possibly going to the AFL. If he does, then they are using a whole different set of roster rules than what they have posted. As far as I know, Harvey, Hays, and Sedlock do not seem eligible due to being on the DL at the cutoff date. But hey...I just write here and not for MLB.com with their access.

I'm guessing it was me that may have moved it. Or have started my own in the main forum. Like it or not, I find participation in a thread increases if it at least gets some views there. 

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Ryan McKenna has been added to the roster and will be going to the AFL.

Good, I hope to see him in Center at OPACY some time next season.